Forums > Videos > play festival - request for help

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
for those of you that don't know yet, dunc has organised an object manipulation festival called play (www.playfestival.co.uk), which is taking place at shrewsbury showground on 19 to 21 august.

this year it's wonderfully cheap because it's being run back to back with the vw festival. however, it would be great if next year it could be a stand alone entity while still having foolishly cheap ticket prices. so we are making a dvd of this event to raise money for next year's play. yay.

now, while we already have some people filming we can't be everywhere at once, so we're going to need help from all you lovely, lovely people.

hug smile hug2 pleeeeeease hug2 smile hug

it would be fantastic if people would consider sending us their raw footage so we can put it all together into one big dvd. photos would also be greatly appreciated so we can combine them with the footage, and perhaps include some sort of slideshow on the dvd. mech is the official play stills photographer, so if you want your photograph taken then go see him. but lots more photos will be needed as well.

if people have interesting tricks or routines or anything else they think could work on the dvd then come along and ask to be filmed. we'll be wondering around all weekend with cameras, filming madly, so please accost us and demand our attention. it's not just spinning either - anything goes as long as it's worth watching (and i mean anything, from being able to balance a glass on your ass to having four nipples biggrin).

would be nice to have a random interview type section. could go round asking people whether they're enjoying the festival, that sort of thing. i'd quite like to have some bits where you've got someone spinning with an audio track (recorded separately and played over the top of the spinning) of the person saying a few things about themselves (name, how long they've been spinning, what inspires them, etc). could also have a written section of humorous quotes from the weekend.

we want to try and put everything on the dvd: the shows, the workshops, random people doing random things and everyone having a good time. if anyone has any ideas for other things to put on the dvd then all suggestions are welcome.

my address to send footage/pictures to is:

2bags

38 livingstone road

southampton

so14 6wn

or email to:

dunc@playfestival.co.uk

but i'll be suspicious if you send me anything in the post now as play isn't for another three weeks. any help is hugely appreciated and shall be rewarded with a large hug hug (one hug per person, no purchase necessary, terms and conditions apply).

hug2 cheers hug2

EDITED_BY: 2bags (1125490554)

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i'm happy too, altho I think it would be good to make sure to credit any footage used (such as subtitling each scene with the name who supplied it), and an agreement that copyright remains with the photographer, that it will only be used for the dvd etc.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
It will all be taken care of Flid, no worries! EVERYONE will be credited, on the disc and in the insert, if we get all the details of course.

The DVD will be sold so all contributers will need to agree to release their copywrite of used images please, a simple sentance will do it.

It's the best contribution towards next years festival I can imagine. I will be truly honoured and delighted to receive just one film hug

The work behind it will be immense, Steve will be editing and we expect 100+ hours of our own footage before anyone contributes, but we'll never capture what you can! smile

Advance thanks for anyone who can help out with this hug2 kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Sounds great, can't help with the filming. Maybe with the stills but i'm not sure on which camera to take to best capture the fire? digital (fuji finepix s5500) or my SLR (eos 30). If i take the slr I can use 1600 speed film which is what I use for gig photography as it means you don't need flash. Anyone offer some advice?
But yeah i'd defo buy one of the dvd's when it's made. Especially as Play will be my first spinning event biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Well I am happy to bring along my vid camera and all footage is all yours . . . It would be very cool to get several different angles of the same thing . . .

I also had some cool ideas for making a vid . . . but am happy for them to be used for play festival . . . they have to be a little planned . . . will PM you steve and if you like them , you are more than welcome to use them

PLAY is going to be soo much fun

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Wow. Is that the biggest post 2bags has ever written?!

biggrin

And such a lovely one too biggrin

Good luck guys... I don't have any form of camera, unfortunately... but if someone gets bored of filming and wants me to run about with their camera for a while, I'll do that.

Take care hug

Getting to the other side smile

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
I'd better buy a new memory card for my camera smile

This is an excellent idea, can't wait biggrin

"Take that, math!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Sure no probs smile

I'll take my camera and unlike Falmouth might take it out my boot rolleyes

You're going to want to start a music request thread though as if you're selling the DVD - music copyright will be an issue.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
don't worry durbs, all that music biz is well in hand. We shouldn't be having any problems with the copyrights smile

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

photos would also be greatly appreciated so we can combine them with the footage, and perhaps include some sort of slideshow on the dvd. mech is the official play stills photographer, so if you want your photograph taken then go see him. but lots more photos will be needed as well.

if people have interesting tricks or routines or anything else they think could work on the dvd then come along and ask to be filmed. we'll be wondering around all weekend with cameras, filming madly, so please accost us and demand our attention. it's not just spinning either - anything goes as long as it's worth watching (and i mean anything, from being able to balance a glass on your ass to having four nipples biggrin).

i will be taking lots of pics in the day, but i would like some one to cometake pics of my workshops, as i wil not be able to in thesame way as i would like to take shots of mslef, also i would like people to come and see me very much for group shots, and like baggiebaggie says, if you have a cool trick, then i would like to shoot you as well!

I would love some really good spinners to comesee me with some routines, so that i can shhot some routine works......

anything goes, i am going to be wonering, and most of you knwo what i look like, so i will e taking pics if you wnat me!

bar when im doing workshops biggrin

but please, feel free to take pics yoursleves, and pass them on to dunc (the email and postal adresses will be coming from him soon for y'all! the more the merrier!

hug

(ps the bit in bold shows that im well chuffed about the job biggrin:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D)

Step (el-nombrie)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
There will soon be an official forwarding address and email addy so everyone can send them to the same place and avoid any confusion. Details will also be in the programme that will be sent with tickets and available onsite throughout the weekend

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Chutney and camera will be present and willing smile

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
wow. already we have a few offers of footage and pictures and i only posted yesterday. hop rules. smile

my address is now in the initial post as the official adddress for sending any play dvd related media to.

firepoise: that wasn't a long post. this is a long post:

i'm afraid i can't offer any advice on stills photography - you'll have to ask the official play stills photographer about that. however, i'll quickly say a few things about filming. i'm trying to get better at filming and these are some of the things i'm working on. not saying any of these are set in stone, just very basic ideas for making footage more interesting and pleasant to watch (and edit smile).

first of all, if you have a tripod it'll generally make shots look a lot better. if not then leaning against something, or crouching down can help. as well as bringing the camera as close to your body as possible. if there's nothing to lean against then just sticking the elbow of the arm that's supporting the camera into your body so it's not waving around can really help.

moving the camera around lots and zooming in and out makes a shot pretty much unusable. digital zoom reduces the quality of the shot so it's best to only use optical zoom. set the zoom where you want it at the start of the shot then leave it there. don't zoom in and out while filming something because it looks really messy. same thing with moving the camera. very difficult to do neatly so it tends to be best just to frame the shot then not move it. if you're filming someone who's moving around a lot while they spin then it's usually best to be zoomed far enough out that they'll be moving around in the shot. or let then move into then out of the shot. panning is really difficult to do well and near impossible without the assistance of a tripod.

the subject doesn't always have to be in the dead centre of the screen, and if it is the footage can start to feel quite samey. you can split the screen into thirds (horizontally and vertically) and position the subject a third of the way into the screen. this is a configuration that the eye generally finds attractive (it's called the rule of thirds). same with the horizon - it doesn't have to be central but can look good a third of the way up or down the screen. thirds isn't the only way to go though, a more general rule would be: if it looks good it'll work.

the subject doesn't always have to be the same distance away. close-ups framing just part of the person (feet/hands/face/etc); framing just their upper body; framing the whole person but not the poi or framing the whole person and the poi are all different shots that work. over the shoulder shots can look very cool as well.

tilting the camera can be effective. there are a number of ways of doing this. there's a thing called a dutch tilt where you tilt the camera to one side a bit (enough so it's obvious that it's on purpose, but not too much so that it looks silly and unwatchable). or you can tilt the camera up or down to create different effects. looking up at someone spinning can produce a very nice shot. or take this to the extreme and film under or above someone.

best not to use digital camera effects like trails or mosaic, or any transitions, because it's a lot easier to put these on at the editing stage.

really short shots aren't much use. ideally you want a shot with a few seconds at the start and the end that you're not going to use, so you can transition smoothly in and out at the editing stage.

manual focus is essential when shooting fire or glow in low-light or at night because auto-focus can look terrible. it's best to let someone light up, then set the manual focus, then start filming.

it tends to look better if you can see the person spinning fire and not just the fire. glow toys tend to be less bright than fire, illuminating even less of the person, and making it even harder to film. it helps if the people spinning glow or fire are near some other light source. or if there's a full moon. yes, try and bring a full moon with you at all times.

i'll try and resist the urge to say anything about manually setting the white balance 'cos strugz will probably make fun of me even more then he's already going to.

as i said at the start, these are all just things to think about and by no means absolute and definitive. all these rules can be broken to great effect. but it's easier to make a good shot using these rules, then to make a good shot by purposefully breaking them.

anyone else got any good filming tips? i know there are hoppers out there that are studying film so any corrections and additions would be appreciated. ubbrollsmile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Take off the lens cap

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Use a tripod or fixed position for the camera unless you really want the Blair witch effect.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
basically chutters, you're saying that you couldn't be bothered to read my post 'cos it was too bloody long, so you just read the last paragraph biggrin. i mention using a tripod and not moving the camera about right at the start. admittedly you did it somewhat more succinctly smile and it is a very important point. so i'll let you off. ubbrollsmile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol

hug for everyone smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

you should certanly rename this to 2bags "crash course in filming" thread............

This is going to take soo much work, but the more and more stuff you guys help shoot the better end product we can produce smile

I think 2bags has coverd everything else...................

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
Good to see that 2bags and strugz are putting
everything i taught them about filming and
video edditing into practice!

As the guru, i must add that i operate a do as
2bags says, not do as frodo does sort of thing
whilst filmin!

passing through, this world still lives.

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well when you have a still amera, all that and much more is required to make a better shot

my advice, use a triod,if you are unsure about how steadily you can use a cam, if you are not 100% sure use one.

i will to get som shots, but i mostly work free.

and take over 200 test shots to make sure you knwo how to use your camera and make sure you knwo what you are doing

shot 4 time more than you will ever need, and 4 times more than you wnat!

to be sure you get all the angle sand shotsyou wnat, most of your shots wil turn out shite, so make sure you get lots!

Step (el-nombrie)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Didnt i get into trouble for starting a thread in the videos section without a video tongue

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
shhhhhh! wink

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I want there to be one, and I want it to get filmed
3 words -

'HoP human pyramid'

..:D

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
suh-weeeeet
cool

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Well we should have acro mats around, we're just waiting for confirmation so isn't entirely out of the question....but I don't want anyone hurting themselves!

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
i also don't want anyone hurting themselves ... unless we have it filmed from at least two angles smile.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
ubblol

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
I won't forget to buy a plug adaptor this time ubbangel

>> all is full of love <<

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Just let us know when you've finished it dude. will be sooo cool having some of your stuff on dvd....any idea of the cost or have i just missed it??? juggle weavesmiley biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
cheers everyone.
cost not been decided just yet, depends on the finished product.
one week to go!
ubbrollsmile

Page: ...