Page:
s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
does anyone here reckon ingesting hallucinogens or any other kind of drug for that matter makes them twirl 'better'? i.e. you *really* do twirl better - your friends have said so or whatever.I have heard from numerous people that swear by mushrooms or LSD for 'helping' them twirl smoother, more creatively and generally 'better' than in their straight state.I was wondering how many people here had tried spinning in altered states of mind... I'm by no means recommending it =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah I have some wink experience...I find that I enjoy twirling on a different level (surprise surprise) however my twirling is not as good...(perhaps the huge grin might add to the stage effect tho?)...my twirling is technically the best when I'm straight...and creatively the best when I'm at home with cool tunes in my lounge room after spending some time with Mary Jane smilehmm - perhaps I dance more when under Albert Hoffman's umbrella? smileDunno -my friends are usually fire twirling anyhow...Josh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I think I twirl best when under the fluid influence of E. my rythm, mind and body are all in sync and twirling becomes a sensation with which I am one.I get fairly um well "pelvically oriented" when I'm E-ing, so I suppose this comes through when I'm firedancing. adds to the allure, sensuouness, mystery and primal element.------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

monkeykatmember
13 posts

Posted:
Personally speaking I dont believe under the influence is a good thing.Sure it's nice all of the substances available , but I kinda think fire has it's own substance and deserves the respect of a relatively straight mind.I usually get mildly loose on alchol and a bit of MJ, but mainly because I have to rush to gatherings after work and so I feel pretty stressed.If I'm not stressed then I dont need it all, not even if I was just dancing at a club or party, I used to take all sorts, pretty much everything all the timebut I've seen a lot of people including nearly myself go down with it and some people just dont come back, I guess it's a moderation thing, but I really feel it's better to spin or party or whatever without the completely enveloping stuff such as E or Mush, Trps and Spd. I nearly died on Mush once, took to much by mistake, and that was after I was well experienced in the medium, anything else, well that's pretty much of limits these days.lets face it if you need that stuff to spin well then what are you going to do when it's not available.Besides coordination of the mind and body is a drug in itself!

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
herhehe, monkey, but im wondering if ive ever seen u spin straight......*grin*I too rush from work (battling peak hour traffic) to make it to gatherings and for the most part i need no MJ or A to help me get over the stress.although my experience twirling while high was bad on e (couldnt walk let alone spin) and good on A, confidence plus on alcohol. Though i normally spin straight.[This message has been edited by Frenzie (edited 03 April 2001).]

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Josh wrote:"my twirling is technically the best when I'm straight...and creatively the best when I'm at home with cool tunes in my lounge room after spending some time with Mary Jane"I couldn't agree more! With fire though, i'm not good enough to feel confident and spin high. I did it a couple of times and ended up hitting myself more. Not good with fire. But MJ definitely loosens me up, i get more fluid and dare more dancing (which i usually don't).nomad

Skyemember
33 posts

Posted:
I only do A or E now once in a blue moon and when I do I spin like a fiend, for four or five hours at a time sometime. I spin just ll or better tripping my brains out as I do straight but then again that's all I want to do. I can't get all trippy anymore and just watch the wallpaper melt like I used to when I was a kid. I have to be doing something complex and physical like spinning or I just go nuts. The other 95 percent of the time I prefer a little beer and MJ. I'm getting to be an old geezer and I need my sleep. Skye

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I have some experiences of spinning on E. I found it helped me in the beginning to develop my rhythm and improved my confidence greatly. But when i watch videos of my performance it is usually better when i am *straight*, although i feel as tho it is better when on E but it distorts my perspective so much that i am no good judge of performance. I have not looked after my fire stuff when on E in clubs and actually got barred from one venue for leaving an open dipping tray by a fire door. (oh-oh, serious violation of fire safety code!)Mushrooms is amazing tho. it tunes me into the fire and spinnig circles in a way i cannot explain. I have mastered moves on shrooms that have had me in tears cos i couldn't do them. I wouldn't perform on shrooms ever tho cos of the nature of tripping. I think using mind altering drugs to help to understand something better is ok just don't rely on them. Know your strengths and weaknesses and most of all stay safe. smileOnelove, Thistlefirepixie

Are we nearly there yet?

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
i find that altered states are helpful in teaching me what i'll be able to do. when i spin high, i jump in skill by leaps and bound, but the next day, i'll only retain a small piece of it. doesn;t bum be out though 'cause i know i can do it and will be able to again, straight, at some time in the future. As for different substances go, shrooms rock, e is nice, k is very very nice, g is very nice, dope is very nice, and alcohol sucks my bum.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
twilinng on alcohol can become increasingly difficult as you become increasingly eniebriated . the old MJ its OK.. I can't say I've firedanced on an E although under Mr Hoffmans umbrella I tend to forget the fire and could happily spin an unlit toy for hours weee.. but I'd have to say that my best twirl'n occurs when sober and well warmed up....

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
K? G? Im not familiar with those, please fill us in.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
K = Ketamine.G = GHB or Fantasy here in aus...I dunno - perhaps its different over there?Josh

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
I had a good idea about K which is often "Special K" here ( also a breakfast cereal) And GHB is often just that, GHB. It was getting some bad press here for a while, it was being called the "date rape drug" and "easy-lay" so-called news magazines did specials on people who overdosed. Incidently, it's almost impossible to overdose on G, the lethal dose is something like 5 pounds, and you'd pass out way before that. It's also impossible to detect after death, because it dissolves soo rapidly.-PSM

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Actually, psymonkey, I think you have GHB and Ketamine backwards. It is next to impossible to OD on K, no matter what way you do it, but G is so touchy, and never ever mix it with alcohol. They used to sell G at GNC, but was forced to take it off the market because people were abusing it and it shut down their CNS. For myself, I was one whose dictionary did not include 'moderation'. So I dont use anymore, and only know about spinning straight. Sometimes I think what it would be like to do all that crazy shit again and spin too... If it happens, I guess Ill find out. Dangerboy, I couldnt imagine spinning on dope. Or balling, or anything in that ballpark. ------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
The lethal dose of GHB varies for every person that takes it. Cause we all have it existing in our bloodstream in its natural lower levels. So its very unpredictable - you'll know when you've been passing in and out of wakes of unsconsciousness and throwing up that you've taken too much. I couldn't imagine spinning on K - the one time I have done that bizarre drug, it sucked me into a long deeeeeeep tunnel. And there I stayed for what seemed eternity =) It IS technically speaking possible to be killed from having too much Ketamine. (though very unlikely I suppose). When it was tested on animals for toxicity reports, (I'm not at all comfortable with that idea) animals with a concentration of equal to and more than 77mg to each kg of body weight had a 50% chance of dying after being administered with it. Lovely.I agree alkyhol sucks, but MJ really helped me figure out some of the more complex moves I know. And I guess I'm sort of surprised that so many people here said the same thing about it =)[This message has been edited by splat (edited 04 April 2001).]

Asafmember
10 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm basically a juggler and not a twirler (all hail the LAP!!!), but I've tried both on a wide variety of drugs, and here are my (very personal & subjective, of course) conclusions:Alcohol: yucks. I actually stopped drinking completely for the first two years after I started to juggle. Fucks my coordination. I agree that in small measure it helps loosen you up, and you don't need as much coordination fo twirling as for juggling anyway (but it's true!). Juggled fire once when i was completely drunk. I had a laugh, but I don't think anybody else did.Mary Jane: Yes, Please! It's not that I don't enjoy juggling without it, it's just that I enjoy it SO MUCH MORE with. However, looking at juggling as an Organisation of the Imagination, I believe it helps the imagination bit at the expense of the organisation. Not very reccommended for professional performance (which I hardly do), but great fun otherwise.LSD: some of my earliest significant juggling experiences were on acid (I sort of discovered them both at the same time). got me to totally metaphysical spheres (as it does). Funny thing though, it almost always felt like I had to learn it from naught all over again every time. It did, however, get better and better every time. Actually I think juggling on acid was the best thing to do, because I do agree now with Dr Hoffman that acid is not really a party drug. While concenrating on the juggling i was basically meditating on LSD, which is what this drug ('chemical teaching plant') is for (IMHO, naturally).E - 'Clubs Are More Fun' was the motto in them XTZ dawns in Goa. More fun than dancing, more fun than balls, at some stage even better than sex. Less intellectual challenge than LSD, but the FEEL. Twirling was also fun on E.Ketamin: tried it twice. I can't imagine anyone can juggle, or twirl, or move for that matter, on it. It's an anastethic for goddess' sake!However, that was some time ago. My trippy spell ended... well, shall we say in quite a spectacular way. I'm definately not T-Total by definition now, and I don't regret anything. It was a very educational and enriching experience. but now my chemical experiences are few and far between. Yes, juggling's definately what the yogis call sadhana, a path. And it can take you places.sorry for blubbering for so long. you've just hit a subject close to my heart (+I'm stoned...)Burn Free or something------------------Love Is The Law, Love Under Will (A.C.666)

Love Is The Law, Love Under Will (A.C.666)

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
As I recall, it's the alchohol that will kill you with G. If you are otherwise clean, GHB is next to impossible to OD on. Yes the lethal dose varies, but as I recall, it was a huge difference between passing out and ODing. But, some people react differently to different things. It's also very possible to OD on caffeine (my drug of choice), but the level is very high, you almost have to mainline it. Just be careful.-PSM

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Yikes! Whoa! Hey! While GHB is definitely nasty with alcohol, it is also quite dangerous by itself. Please see:https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ghb/ghb.shtml

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Yes!!! winkMushrooms Are GOOD! Alcohol Is BAD! POT Is Good sometimes when im alone! But you get tired easly. I can go for Hours on the Magic Fungi, from the Sacret Cow Pie wink It Flows Through me! I can feel the Demons at the end of my chains, and I dance with them. You can see them in still picturs, catching up with the poi. FIRE IS ALIVE! IT LIVES AND BREATHS! IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS! BUT WE CONTROL IT, AND DANCE WITH FIRE!! smile [This message has been edited by skichristian (edited 08 April 2001).]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Twist- See this: https://www.ceri.com/wardcall.htmfor
a start, when I get some time Ill post more if you'd like. Not that I really have some interest in it, I just thought Id post what I have.-PSM

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
I hate to sound like a total wanker and I hope that someone will back me up on this so I don't stand alone here butHaving had experiance of all this shit I MUCH prefer spinning with a clear head, some mates and maybe a beer then spinning completly mashed out of my brain and unable to grasp the concept of what I am actually doing. Maybe its because I have seen alot of my friends disapear into drug addiction, I don't mind people doing it I just don't like it. The odd spliff mamybe but keep me away from all the rest. Ketamine BLUCH.peace out peoplegarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
obviously on anytype of drug, your inhibitions are down or completely gone and you arent complicationg your movements with thought. You have no fear of hitting yourself so you could pull off moves you normally wouldnt try.Alcohol- ive spun while buzzing, and piss drunk...No fun whatsoever. My coordination was in the shitter, and all i did was hit my self till i was so frustrated, i just sat down.High- i dont smoke too often, maybe every two months, and not that much. Maybe two hits, then i stop. Ive spun twice while high, and it did not help me at all. I could have cared less if i was spinning or not. I was in lala land. Plu s i thought i was doing something tight, but in reality, i really wasnt.Rolling- on a good roll, right before i peak, i have pulled some shit. All i could feel was the music, and my arms swinging the strings, and i was trying to manipulate the pattern around me. Plus i can spin for hours. And i totally understand the better than sex reference. Everything feels 100 times better. Breathing, pissing, kissing, whatever. Your senses are in overload. I took acid once in Highschool (more like my friend rubbed it in my eye at lunchtime)...never again. It scared the Hell outta me.Ive never tried anything else. Too scary. Last Sat was my final "Roll" & my last smoke. Ive decided its time to grow up.I have learned the majority of my moves completely sober, by myself, in the dark, with the music on low early morning like 3:00 am. "S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
don't drink and drive,smoke and spin!when do "they" wake up and legalize it???one love!!!

frank bentzin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Garbo, you are not alone. I'll just leave it at that.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I think it's great (and surprising!) ppl can still play with fire/glosticks when they are absolutely wasted. I stopped using 'those weird white chemicals' well before I picked up a pair of poi. It amazes me that some of you still have all and more of your co-ordination when in some of these states of mind. I can only barely imagine it - as due to previous heavy indulgence my body can't handle them anymore.I guess they (and me) were responsible for fucking a few things up in my lifetime that I would regret if I wasn't the kind of person who doesn't regret so to speak. And most of my circle of friends actually fell victim to the standard get-so-wrecked-i-dont-know-who-you-guys-are-anymore-cause-im-so-fucked-up type deal. I guess it happens all over the world too! Aren't we lucky voluntary guineapigs.I do agree that a little greenery is good before a twirl - I usually am rended blind (by the fire patterns) after a few shows. But it doesn't stop me from thinking (maybe cause I'm very used to it) - and if I start to think about what i'm doing exactly it always stuffs me up(in any state of mind.) =)

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i was twirling with my poi unlit under the influence of magic mushies. i felt great. wish i had of lit them. but it was bright, and just twirling them was very entertaining anyway. i always seem to go into a sort of trance when i spin, i love it.i often twirl after smoking too much gunja.i've never twirled drunk. mainly because i dont drink. smile[This message has been edited by Amber (edited 05 April 2001).]

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Why do you need drugs/alcohol/anything when you can just spin yourself into a beautiful world of fire trance... (I'm with you Garbo!)

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I agree GARBO/BEC/PELE smile I love the fire trance. but if i have the Mushrooms, and I eat them at the right time, I spin out into the cosmos, and float there for hours. But thats once or twice a year, if that. winkI swor that I would never spinn again on Alcohol, it messes with my flow of energy!and pot makes me do, and say dumb shit grin [This message has been edited by skichristian (edited 08 April 2001).]

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Bish_the_Dingmember
52 posts

Posted:
...all a bunch of raving drug drug addicts !!I'm dusgusted !! (Bish leans back and injects another four cc's of mayonaise into his eyebrow ...) grin

Hasst du etwas zeit fuer mich?... Dan singe ich ein lied fuer dich ... -Bjork/Nena

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Posion free. Bottom-line. To those of you who have already agreed with me on this- word.To those of you who disagree, I believe it is totally your choice, but I also believe that its X-heads like some of you that ruin the scene for the rest of us.Addicts are the reason ravers have a bad Rep.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

BongoCIHmember
16 posts

Posted:
I may not be the most qualified in this area, after only having been on caffiene (Hey it's a drug...), but I think that to get the most out of spinning you actually have to be consciously able to know who, what, why and how you are doing it. Hopefully also knowing how to do it again.Personally I use spinning as a relaxing tool, mainly to get away and concentrate on something other than life. I also know that my learning curve has been steep (I have the bruises to prove it), and if I was outta my head I would have given up on it ages ago.All I can say is, why overdrive your system when life is fun anyways. If it isn't, then change your perspective and make it fun.In summary,Drugs = Bad,Fire = Waaayyyy cooolll.BongoCIH.

Page: