DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Ok, I'm sorry this is only my second post here and i will probably step on someones toes and not have searched BUT i need some help. Can anyone go thu with me some of the pros and cons of a wooden core staff. i have been staffing for about 5 months (taught exclusivly by Yannicus for any of you vets).

I have started contact staff(as you do) and really enjoy the feeling of controlling and manipulating the staff around my body. I already have a staff in Aus (I am residing in hong kong at the time of writing ) but would like to, nay need to get a new staff for my ventures to thailand soon (full moon party and such). i was wondering if i could get some advice on the benifites of a staff with a wooden core for conatct moves. Of course i would have aluminium ends and i have already ordered wicks from this trustworthy site.

I already have my own ideas but really value the weight of other peoples opinions and ideas. i believe(at the moment) that a wooden core on a long staff would best suit my needs, those needs being a staff between 5' - 5' 5". However if anyone has any contrary opinions i greatly value their input, as i myself have all the power in the world to screw these wicks up.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My biggest concern would whether customs (going in or out) could see the wood as harboring foreign life/bugs/bacteria etc. Maybe check with a few people and see if they banned any types of wood form being brought in...

Others will respond with constructions tenchniques...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Which full moon party? I'll be at the one in december.

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I'll be there for the one next month (July). probably the worst one of the year to go seeing as though its monsoon season and all but thats the way its happening.
As for customs i think that will only be a problem coming in to Aus and if i buy treated wood i think it should be ok.

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
Wooden cores are totally the way forward. I one that's entirely wood and one aluminum with a bit of wood at the ends. They both work really well. If your after something nice and heavy core the whole thing. I've found that the bits of wood in either end of my staff help loads the balance on it is perfrect and I can do just as much contact as with my big steve stick

Viva UGLY STAFF

ChennyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
As long as you wrap it up with some alluminum tape on both ends you should be fine. A standard 6 foot dowel works fine and you can get a good one for $10.00 at a hardware store (Canadian currency) You want to wrap it for about two feet on both sides so there's four in the middle. Keeps the wood from...well, burning.

juggle

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i quite like the flex in a wood core staff, got a metal one at the mo, but def think my next staff will prob be wood

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle