newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Any survivor stories to share yet? hug

Freak storms hit Glastonbury festival
9:26 AM June 25

The Glastonbury festival has begun with its traditional mix of the very best in music and the very worst of the British weather, as freak storms caused flooding and delayed the start of the three-day event.

Many of the nearly 150,000 people gathered on Worthy Farm in Somerset, south-west England, where the festival has been held since 1970, arrived during Thursday dressed in skimpy summer wear following several weeks of hot weather.

They were then treated to a massive series of overnight thunder storms which left much of the 320 hectare site under as much as one metre of water and mud.

The inundation forced organisers to postpone the start of the music on a series of stages for several hours while water was mopped up and experts checked electrical safety.

A temporary bar housed in a large marquee was struck by lightning, scorching a hole in the canvas, although it was not in use at the time and no one was hurt.

One entire area of the festival, housing the dance music field, was shut down completely for much of Friday due to severe flooding.

Around the site, revellers who had gone to bed late on Thursday in balmy, dry weather, awoke to find rivers of mud pouring through their tents. Others, arriving in the morning, desperately searched for spaces in the puddles to make camp.

"I've travelled all night, spent a fortune on the ticket, looked forward to it for months and now I've got to camp in a swamp. But that's Glastonbury, isn't it?" one man said, summing up the festival's famous spirit.

"Five cemtimetres of rain in just a few hours mean that the festival will be a muddy one from now on, but the forecast is good from now on," said Michael Eavis, 69, who has run the festival on his farm for 35 years.

-AFP

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
The HOP camp I was in was nearby an impromptu river, but we were at the top of the hill and avoided it by a fair way. No major problems for us...

"Take that, math!"

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*wishes he'd been there even tho the weather sucked*

I saw Glasto through the electronic media of Televisual Entertainment for the first time this year, it was surprisingly ace although of course not comparitively the same as being there, drowning in effluential torrents while tent surfing.

My survivor story was that during Ian Browns headline I switched over the digimacal tv and was surprised to hear that Basement Jaxx don't suck quite as much as I thought. Infact they aren't bad at all! I then flipped back to the Ian Brown gig before becoming bored of the tuneless northern twat and turned back once more to watch the Jaxx finish off the festie smile Although their Kylie cover, while obviously a very nice thing to close the set off with was a bit pants.

Fatboy Slims set was brilliant. What a stage!

I saw one decent long clip of someone swinging poi, badly. And one firespinner spinning, well, badly again actually. How come those who suck always get on tv?! Ah I'm only jealous cuz I wasn't there....

Zutons rule ok, Kasabian and The Killers were lesser but still deservedly ok'd rulers.

Brian Wilson still has it, although it might take him some time to find it tucked under his winter blankett and wooly socks when he needs to use it.

Was Rolph there?? I miss Rolph frown Were Bodger & Badger there? I kept mashed potato by my side all weekend just incase they appeared on the telly box while I was on my comfy, dry, clean, sanitary, sofa biggrin

Primal Scream (well Bobby Gillespie and Mani) gave the funniest live interview I've seen for ages. Aparently "Smack Head" and "F*ck" are lesser terms at 4pm on BBC2 than [censored]. ubblol :rolleyes: peace

Here's to 2007! Where I will be in attendance with small person ubbrollsmile

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
No horror storiesw to tell. sorry! 'twas all good biggrin

Dunc - you'll have to fill me in on the band details as i watched very few. Brian Wilson was great. The wailers - superb. That would be about it apart from stuff i just walked past.

Gayle.....!

garthySILVER Member
old hand
717 posts

Posted:
Then only disasters that occoured to me were self induced.

On the Saturaday I got stuck in a giant red and blue jellyfish. I managed to escape but it was a close one. This prbably occoured due to my diet that day! wink

I remeber a phone call with my mate Holly:

Holly: Garth, Where are you?
Garth: I'm in a giant red and blue jellyfish.
H: You're a giant red and blue jelly fish?
G: No don't be silly I'm in one.

Then when I got back to the car I found the battery had run down cause I left the interor light on. I nice AA man sorted that out.

Then about 10 miles from home I ran out of petrol. redface

Got home finaly aroudn 9pm. Now off to sleep. wave

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Psiboing
529 posts

Posted:
ubblol hug
EDITED_BY: Psi (1119921847)

Winged AvengerSILVER Member
The official Emma Peel wannabe
226 posts

Posted:
hug to Garthy.

No horror stories here either. Glasto was a totally positive experience for me (first fire spin at the Stone Circle at dawn)! Though it was very very hot in the tent in the morning.

Basement Jaxx were really good live and it was thoughtful that they dedicated a song to the guy who died at the fest on Friday. No details on how he died though the paper suggested it was drugs related.

Looking forward to 2007 already!

"Always keep your bowler on in times of stress and watch out for diabolical masterminds" - Emma Peel

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
I was camped at Pennards hill just yards from where the lake appeared. I crawled out after the huge thunderstorm to use the loos only to find them bobbing about on the new lake by the river... felt sorry for those poor bastards who's tents were under water.

I also felt for the people who chose to camp on the mudflats between the Other Stage and the Pyramids area market. After the main shows their tents were stamped into the mud by the 1% or so of people who didn't care what was in their way - and 1% of say 10,000 is easily enough to squash all your possesions into 2ft of boggy wet mud.

There were a lot of rumours circulating about police divers pulling bodies out of the water and although they were (thankfully) untrue, it's easy to see how they got started when all around the place you see Stewards dragging lumpy groundsheets out of waste high water.

Everyone affected I spoke to though said that inspite of everything, they were having the time of their lives. It brought out a fighting spirit.. like the feelgood factor people had during the Blitz.

It didn't spoil my enjoyments anyway (easy for me to say, being high and dry). A lot of people were relocated, or taken in elsewhere and by Sunday the whole place was mostly dry and sunny anyway.

I've uploaded some pics to my gallery if anyone's interested.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Great photos MarkMark!! I've been to some wet festivals ( includihng Glastonbury 1984 (5? the wet one...) but that Pennards looked particularly... wet.....

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
garthy - steer clear of the cheese tongue biggrin in future you might not be so lucky umm hug

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
I went to a cash point and was in the cue for 2 1/2hrs....... but it was all good as the guy in front of me pulled out a camping stove, a tin mug and some shrooms, i ended up trippin my tits off all day and then finding a huge hairy coat in a bag in my hand, that apparently i bought myself!!!ubbloco
I had to wear it, of course!! even grew to quite like it!! cool Pics coming shortly, i'm sure!! redface
Loads of love
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
ubblol hehe... i had a similar experience in the que for a cash point on the sunday morning five years ago! still trippin from night before, dude in a poncho doing water missions, a communual green supply being rolled an passed an a sing song during the 3 hour wait... the 24 hour breakfast i got at the end was the best greasy spoon i've ever had! biggrin

an garthy, watch out for them jellyfish, you never know what's gonna turn up at the glade... wink hug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I had a poo in an empty duty free Marlbro lights carton as I didnt want to use the festival toilets again.

biggrin

It was remarkably good fun and I will have no hesitation in doing it again in future.

misstinytinanewbie
22 posts

Posted:
i awoke that morning to a faint pitter patter
that morning we went back to sleep for a few hours
at about 7am we could feel the famous glasto waterbed
soon we had a river running throught the tent,
luckly we had pitched at the top of the hill and was about 3 tents a way from a now growing river i decided it was now time to go and investigate,they had already blocked off the path down pennards there wasnt many tents left and the water was up to my knees it was fun, but i feel sorry for the people who lost there tents the rest of the day i spent swimming in puddles and havin a great time

where were you hop camp couldnt find the flag but we did find tom from guildford......................... juggle

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tom from Guildford put his sticks in my tent overnihgt biggrin

Where were you?!?!?

We too were at the top of a hill on Pennards!!!

if you were 3 tents away from the river, and if its the river im thinking of, then we were camped right next to you!!!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: Nates Identity Crisis

I had a poo in an empty duty free Marlbro lights carton as I didnt want to use the festival toilets again.

biggrin

It was remarkably good fun and I will have no hesitation in doing it again in future.

oh. my. goddess.

*gags*

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In my defence, it was the last night, the toilets were in an awful state (i had gone once during the week anyway and was almost sick!), the queues were massive and I wanted to get off to the stone circle and spin fire with everyone.
ubbangel

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I think that was a fine strategy.... I wouldn't use the loos at Glasters 20 years ago on a fine day!!!! I'm just curious what you did with the packaging?????

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I folded the top of the box down securely and tucked it away in a bin bag that was lying next to me which was full of crap too. Not literally.

smile

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
Your just wrong!! wink

Was it like a Mr Whippy?? tongue wink
Gags, runs out before he throws up!!!
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
still in shock after seeing alfapoi's pics of tents under a few feet of flooding

but hey, that's England for you!!

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Its true about his poo, at least he didnt throw it and have a guy wave a banana at him eh Ro?

No surviver storied from me just me saying how sweet roman was to me with all those bannars and ballons for my Birthday!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Yep! All credit to Roman's hard work! clap

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
i had a fab glastonbury, but didn't do much spinning... Although I did expropriate a small child's comet poi near the Jazz World Stage, overcome with the poi urge bought on by some funky latino band. I don't think she minded! I hope!

I had a musical Glasto this year, spen a lot of time at the Jazz World stage and the pyramid, and avoided the Other Stage like the plague. I hate it at the best of times, but when muddy, no thanks!

The highlight was definately Brian Wilson's set... I've been trying to find out how many people watched it, surely up towards the 100,000 mark? And unless you were actually laid out on the ground passed out, you were up and dancing... such an amazing set.

Check this out to bring back a bit of the Glasto vibe... https://homepage.mac.com/kempy/iMovieTheater15.html.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Big up the Roman! hug2
Who I kept calling the wrong name all week redface