Forums > Social Discussion > My Greek adventure Samos cultural week

Login/Join to Participate

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
quoted with permission from author (me) from soton fire spinning

original date 10 may

Well for those of you I didn't get around to telling, i'm here, made it, at last, it was an interesting experience getting a load of fire toys through two lots of airport security, but they all arived with me yeah.

I was invited quite some time ago to visit the island of samos, to mainly perform a whole range of fire arts and stilt walking, as well as teaching choriographed displays, so here I am.

should have a load of pics for my return, hopefully, sorry no video though, unless someone here can provide, can't understand a word of greek,

mark

we spent about three hours last night at the university juggling society, burning fuels that were rather weird, had a lot of fun.

pics to follow

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

original date saturday 15 may

The Samos university cultural week starts officially today, this eve we are organising the first large fire meet, there have been students ariving for the last few days, getting ready for this event,

Otherwise, went to the main greek cirus last night, to check out the competition lol,

Apparently we're expecting over a thousand attendees, plus spectators, live music etc,

will keep you posted

mark

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Temporary interim report (open letter)

original date 19th may

Well, just under two weeks of burning just about every kind of fuel, we could find, emptied most of the local shops of lamp oil, etc, then onto something that looks a lot like unrefined parafin, evil stuff lol,

The poeple I've had the pleasure of staying with for the last ten days are going to ensure that pictures and hopefully some vid material is sent to me, I've lots of pics of the final performances to over two thousand people on stage, in a rather underground type location known to the locals as the pie, since it has a layout not disimilar the to the symbol 3.14 etc,

typicall the iternary for the week went something like

Performances by varoius music acts well known to the indigenous population

interspersed with fire acts

Then from around 10 or 11pm onwards mixed music until around 6am in the morning, for which the circus fire arts team would provide full on fire acts through most of the night,

Or at least that was the plan, what actually happened was shall we say a little different, essentially from about 4am onwards it kind of turned into something not unlike an open mike night but with fire, so it kind of ended up something like, me doing my own performances, while providing my own spotter, and safety, as well as keeping an overview on what everyone else wsa doing, while supervising random people comming up from the audience wishing to play with fire, some for the first time,

main performers involved over the two week stage performance(s)

kimon poi, staff, swinging clubs, fire breathing

vassia poi

nichos staff, poi

jianis staff, poi

harra poi

thodoris poi

mark poi, staff, blades, stilts, rope dart, fire fingers, fire breathing, fire eating, contact fire, techical fire breathing.

plus random others

Credits go to a number of other people who came forward from the audience and behaved in a surprisingly safe way, whom I will not be able to find out or remember your names, to put on open fire performances, in particular, to the girl with the blue denim top and long hair who came up and asked me if she could play fire staff for the first time, she behaved with impecable safety, and came back later to thank me for allowing her to do something that she described as the most amazing experience she had ever had, you know who you are,

Anyone wishing to be included in the list of performres please pm me with your name(s), in english please, dates and what you performed and I will add you to the list.

more to follow,

Pictures I took myself to appear shortly in my gallery on soton fire spinning, under llonen, upon my return to the uk, other pics to appear when I receive them,

Last night tonight, too windy for fire, not sure what we're doing, much sadness to be leaving tomorrow on my part,

mark
EDITED_BY: marco (1116525466)

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
sounds good man!

passing through, this world still lives.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Just a quick note really, very tired now, and rather tearful, made it back, we all spent the last evening together in somewhere called the fisherman, no points for guesing why it's so called, from there, we moved to an abandoned 19th century leather tanning complex, or thats what I'm told it used to be, really interesting architecture, very derelict, spent the last couple of hours together spinning and playing, more photos etc, some rather tearful goodbyes etc, as we dispearsed, myself to spend the last hours packing,

more later

mark

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Well, they are up, check out my gallery on Soton Fire Spinning, under llonen, for some images of the highlights from the Samos Agean University main fire show, these were taken from the last fire show of the week that I set up, this was part of the international Samos Cultural Week, each event was attended by around 2000 students and others

More to follow

Other pics to follow when posted to me,

mark