Forums > Social Discussion > What makes a fire meet a good meet

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Good Morningeveningafternoon smile

Well... I have been on this board for almost 4 years, traveled around the world to many different meets ranging from 2 people to a few hundred... I have amazing memories of Paris, Clapham, Houston, Koh chang, Bangkok, Guatemala and other places which still dance in my heart, but i also had my share of bad experiences, smoetimes even in the same places wink

What got me thinking is that , after not having touched a poi in months and months and months, llast sunday i went to the sunday meet in Melbourne. The people were really friendly not just to me who knew a few people, but also to some random people passing by. How absolutely lovely it was...

Do nice gatherings tend to lost their soul after a while and if so why ? how? If not or even if so... what can one do to prolongue the friendliness and magic?

Things I found participate to a nice atmosphere in a gathering :
- someone "in charge" coming up to newcomers/passers by to welcome them, explain the possible rules, do a few introductions
- Food shared
- Themed gatherings (Moon Pixie, YOU ROCK) ubblove
- Safety applied, responsibilty shared, issues gently but firmly explained to newbies or stubborn people
- Sharing of skills with unlit toys (day time or even night time, but just sharing of skills)
-music, drums...
-bonfires
-blankets to sit on and share
-nutella wink

Things I found were inducing poorer atmosphere:
- NOONE welcoming new people
- clickey groups who ignore others (and mind you I DO realize that sometimes we are just having a blast with friends we only see rarely and it may be intimidating to others, and that is ok, it is just about remembering what it was like to be new and keeping it in mind and sometimes looking around to see if maybe we can share a smile with a stranger who seems a bit lost or shy...)
- alcohol in general
- substance abuse combined with use of fire
- no respect of others toys, safety, space
- competitive attitudes
- vegemite wink

Thi is really not me being an old fart singing the song of "those were the times", this is truely a quest for the receipy/receipies for a warm gathering... perhaps it will give people ideas, or even make some people realize that their gathering could get some warmth and love input to renew the dynamics.

How intimidating are those gatherings... how amazing and inspiring they can be too... so why not discuss it and then possibly try to apply it

idea? feedback? anyone?

Shine on
Cass

hug

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: Valura

A lot of the time at burleigh only the *really good spinners* would get a clap after they spun, and a lot of the public would slag other spinners (audiably) because they were not as good as the previous spinners.

frown

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*bump*
because the first post is brilliant
smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
YAY! clap

- a chai kitchen
- good weather (high temperatures)
- a lake closeby
- understanding and participating neighbors
- absence of and no necessity for LEO's
- lots of huggies
- friends
- 200 free containers of body paint

ach I could go on and on and on

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

- 200 free containers of body paint

eek * tries to shake mental vision of Tom nekkid enuff to use 200 containers of body paint! * eek ubblol ubblol ubblol

Good thread - well bumped Angel!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol *psst* add 300 girls of Mouse'size... or 100 each sex' - whatever your preference wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well with the summer coming up: should we be taking notes?...

Hell yeah!!
smile

Tom: what are LEOs??

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
great thread, just went through it all. I'll mail it to Gal so the next israeli gathering will be even better.

Page: