Forums > Social Discussion > Glowstringing, Fact or Fiction?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
mixinluv2umember
129 posts

Posted:
Just curious, how do you guys view glowstringing?

couple questions to focus/start off the discussion:

Is glowstringing and poi one and the same or different? If it's different then how do you define glowstringing and seperate the two?

Do glowstringers have a unique set of moves outside of traditional poi moves?

Should the difference in each tool/medium (glowstring vs sock poi vs fire poi) be emphasized? Or should all of them be spun the same way?

How do you define/develop style and originality in poi? Should the same principles of style and originality be applied to glowstringing? Or can glowstringing have their own principles and methodologies?

Are there differences in cultural background and philosophy between poi and glowstringing?

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
And just in case you're wondering...the things named are our pets. A dragon, two penguins, and a panda-coloured dog, respectively. ubblol

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Plur...wouldnt THAT be nice. Seems like people have forgotten the whole concept or maybe they left it behind at the last rave. :9

I think it is sad that both side's live it in the heart, but it comes out all negative...

Maybe if we all tried to start building bridges, instead of trying to burn each other [ pun intended wink ] noone would care and we could get back to what we do smile

So peace... ubbangel

Now make with the wraps already wink ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"butttttt...I think that the fuzzy happy hippies are too overwhelmed by this whole thread to come out .. I know that I for one am... I did post at the start of this thread, but then it got waaaayyy too confusing."

ditto

Come on.. which hippes do you know that will argue over techicalities?

I cant do long textual descriptions.... I cant understand them or get any idea out of what people are trying to convey.

confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
if your opinion is "i don't like to compartmentailse art forms", that is equally as valid a viewpoint as the semantics/categorisation discussions that have been going on here.

or is it just that the people arguing here are the only ones who see/care about differences/similarities between glowsticking/stringing and spinning other types of poi?

nyc - how did you hope this would work out?

cynicdave - i don't know about you but if i go to a club night and it has an element of violence, i do not go back.
further to that, my observation was more to do with the 'battles gone wrong/he stole my girl' infighting that you referred to within the gs culture shrug

i like the liquid stuff that the gs crowd mix in with their spinning - creaqtes a really nice visual mix.
i'll definitely be watching the lpc video again - with some aerotechs in me hands this time smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Maybe one way to look at it is to reflect that, in the west, we pretty much have one word to cover 'snow'- we don't need more because we don't get much snow.

An eskimo could have forty words to describe different types of snow- he/she needs that because snow is a major part of their world, and understanding it to that fine degree is a matter of survival.

Eskimos don't have 40 words for snow - that's an urban myth smile And we certainly have more than one - snow, sleet, slush and if you include all kinds of frozen water we've got tons.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Poi spinners are about the only group that glowstringers can say they're not a part of.

We're the only group that they can compare and contrast themselves to and from. There is no other standard, at least not that I can think of so it only stands to reason that they don't want to be "us".

Too bad, but it's their decision. If they don't want us to speak poi on their website,,,,so be it

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Easy, I'd hoped the glowstickers would have said:
"I see that there are many different aspects within the community that I had prevously just called 'poi'. Because I have worked so hard establishing glowsticking as an independant art form, I will certainly respect the many differences WITHIN the different aspects of spinning weights on strings and encorporate glowsticking as one of those categories. Within the glowsticking community there are a wide range of spinners, some of whom are extremely different than the fire poi spinners by incorporating tremendous wrap combos, and some of whom are almost indistingushable from fire poi style spinners, like Kael and Ravergirl. By encouraging growth in areas that the firespinners are not researching WHILE STILL embrasing the smilarities and welcoming crossover from the fire community we can encourage exponential growth and harmony. Peace, Love, UNITY and RESPECT."

And that the firespinners would say something like:
"Holy crap, those videos are amazing. Some of those guys are doing stuff we hadn't even dreamed of. The glowsticking community has a tremendous weath of technical knowledge in areas that are untouched by firespinners. Since the glowstickers have adopted so many basic poi moves in such a different direction I wonder if we couldn't learn by seeing which techniques could crossover to fire. While it's apparent that all moves are not practical to transfer to fire, the theories behind these moves are absolutely transferable. The presentation, performance, and flow of glowsticking videos is very different than that of most firespinning videos. I wonder if we couldn't learn a great deal not only from what the differences are, but why they came about."

But instead I feel that we resolved that:
"You are not us. We are not you. Don't use what we call what we do to describe what you do. Stay off our lawn and we'll stay off yours."

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, i'm not a firespinner or a glowsticker.

confused

maybe i should have just said nothing... wink

incidentally, i think many of those views you were looking for from the 'firespinners' have been expressed in the past:
[Old link]
[Old link]
[Old link]

shrug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

incidentally, i think many of those views you were looking for from the 'firespinners' have been expressed in the past

I agree.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

Eskimos don't have 40 words for snow - that's an urban myth smile And we certainly have more than one - snow, sleet, slush and if you include all kinds of frozen water we've got tons.

But sleet and slush aren't 'snow'.

smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

Easy, I'd hoped the glowstickers would have said:
"I see that there are many different aspects within the community that I had prevously just called 'poi'. Because I have worked so hard establishing glowsticking as an independant art form, I will certainly respect the many differences WITHIN the different aspects of spinning weights on strings and encorporate glowsticking as one of those categories. Within the glowsticking community there are a wide range of spinners, some of whom are extremely different than the fire poi spinners by incorporating tremendous wrap combos, and some of whom are almost indistingushable from fire poi style spinners, like Kael and Ravergirl. By encouraging growth in areas that the firespinners are not researching WHILE STILL embrasing the smilarities and welcoming crossover from the fire community we can encourage exponential growth and harmony. Peace, Love, UNITY and RESPECT."

And that the firespinners would say something like:
"Holy crap, those videos are amazing. Some of those guys are doing stuff we hadn't even dreamed of. The glowsticking community has a tremendous weath of technical knowledge in areas that are untouched by firespinners. Since the glowstickers have adopted so many basic poi moves in such a different direction I wonder if we couldn't learn by seeing which techniques could crossover to fire. While it's apparent that all moves are not practical to transfer to fire, the theories behind these moves are absolutely transferable. The presentation, performance, and flow of glowsticking videos is very different than that of most firespinning videos. I wonder if we couldn't learn a great deal not only from what the differences are, but why they came about."

"You are not us. We are not you. Don't use what we call what we do to describe what you do. Stay off our lawn and we'll stay off yours."

frown

To me, NYC, that is precisely the viewpoint of someone who's actually perpetuating seperatism/hostility.

Those of us who see poi and GS as different also have lot's of respect for the two arts, and the two communities.

i.e. we're saying, GS is a seperate art, that's totally OK, let's see what we can learn from each other.

Whereas your statement above sounds like- 'what a wasted opportunity! If only everyone would agree (with me) that GS is a sub-set of poi, then we could all get together and respect/share- BUT, seeing as we're not going to agree that GS is a sub-set of poi, then we have to distance ourselves from each other.'

I'm a poi spinner (amongst other things).

I see GS as very much it's own thing, an art in it's own right.

That leads me to respect it even more, the fact that it is so different to poi is, for me, simply more reason to get together, share and swap ideas, moves, vids etc.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
umm

the 40-odd inuit words for snow include 'slush' and 'sleet' though dave - most of the words refer to snow that has fallen and the type of surface it leaves.

otherwise they just have one word too smile

there are quite a few words referring to snow/fallen snow:

crystals

flakes

rime

graupel

hail

powder

crud

crust

slush

ice

if you go into describing what type of crystal the snow is made up of we have more snow-related words than the eskimo's do!

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
"well, i'm not a firespinner or a glowsticker." ~ coleman

Me neither ~ I am a member of a strictly unique discepline called 'wibbling', i have my own philosophy, my toys are different to poi, glostrings sockpoi and firepoi because they have a specific weight and elasticity and a completely fresh set of moves which are all mine.

The difference between poi and wibbling is WAAYYYYYYY greater than the difference between poi and glostringing IMHO ~ for starters there are no circles in wibbling and you aren't allowed to hold your wibbles.

I am hereby disregarding everything that has gone before wibbling because everything else is totally unrelated. Wibbling is a completely separate art form and from this day forth shall be regarded as such.

Gimme a break. Personally I see only a slight difference between poi and clubs ie you can exert a moment on a club but you have to use gravity and tension to do the same to poi.

And When a yo-yo is fully extended it acts almost identically to poi a with an added gyroscope.

Diablo moves are so similar to poi moves, kung fu is very similar as well. I just don't get why people feel they need to compartmentalise everything.

So 'glokids' do a few things 'poi spinners' don't and vise versa, so what??? So fire spinners tend not to catch their wicks and hold them for ages ~ who cares???

If you know one form well, like poi, it's very quick to pick up similar forms, like glostringing, or diablo, or club juggling, or staff.

However my poi skills don't translate that well to other disceplines like ~ looking after children, or driving a bus, or speaking Hebrew.

If you glokids wanna consider yourselves a completely badass and separate thing to poi spinners ~ then go ahead ~ It's important to have a sense of identity and community. But as far as i'm concerned you guys spin poi. Sorry to break it to ya. But it's not like what I do is anything like traditional poi. It's just a widely accepted term for swinging a weight round on a string.

I mean come on, if my mum saw you spinning she wouldn't think "wow what a totally new artform" she'd say "ooOO matt those kids over there are playing with those poi things you like"

Get my drift?

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

To me, NYC, that is precisely the viewpoint of someone who's actually perpetuating seperatism/hostility.

Those of us who see poi and GS as different also have lot's of respect for the two arts, and the two communities.

i.e. we're saying, GS is a seperate art, that's totally OK, let's see what we can learn from each other.

Whereas your statement above sounds like- 'what a wasted opportunity! If only everyone would agree (with me) that GS is a sub-set of poi, then we could all get together and respect/share- BUT, seeing as we're not going to agree that GS is a sub-set of poi, then we have to distance ourselves from each other.'

I specifically stated that I do not think that Glowsticking is a subsection of Poi.

Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else. ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
thirteen pages? oh my god . . . i'd better be brief

1. does anyone else think this is a non-issue? specifically:
i) what difference does it make if glowstringing is poi or not?
ii) how on earth do you decide whether gs is a form of poi?

2. it looks to me as if whether you think gs is a form of poi depends on your definitions of glowstringing and of poi. and since there is (as far as I can tell) no fact of the matter about what the 'right' definition is, the entire argument is up the spout to begin with. you might want to argue about definitions, but really - who cares?

3. dictionary definitions are just reports on word usage. hence whether gs = poi depends on whether or not people call glowstringing a form of poi. I suspect that most people reckon they are distinct; glowstringing is glowstringing and poi is something else, even if they've got a lot in common. spinning yo-yo's like poi, for instance, doesn't turn the yo-yos into poi . . .

------------end of rant

in other news:

'is tomato: toe-may-toe or toe-mah-toe?

-to-mah-toe. of course. the oxford ENGLISH dictionary, you see.

is it color or colour?

-colour. of course. reason as above.

is it gray or grey?

-grey, of course, always has been, always will be. gray is a name.

is it theater or theatre?

-theatre; the word is french in origin.

is it President or Prime Minister

-i've heard Mr Blair referred to as both. abstain.

is it Britney or Kylie

-Kylie. duh.

Do you drive on the right side of the road or left side of the road?

-the left. if you drove on the right, you'd crash into oncoming traffic.

honestly.

e

ture na sig

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes yes.

England > America

*Yawn* It's been done.

Do a search. wink

And as for the other, obviously this is a discussion over symantics which some folks were interested in having. If you really didn't care, why would you post?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

I specifically stated that I do not think that Glowsticking is a subsection of Poi.

Perhaps you're confusing me with someone else. ubblol

Apologies for me being presumptious and mistaken about your views there NYC.

I still think, and this was the main thing I was trying to say in my previous post, that this is a somewhat negative assessment of this debate.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
.... and that my negative view of this thread propetuates hostility?

Because that I don't see.

I've been actually working pretty hard to spread the love both here and at GS.C. Not to prove a point, but because that's the kind of warm and snuggly guy I am.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
NYC: 'And as for the other, obviously this is a discussion over symantics which some folks were interested in having. If you really didn't care, why would you post'

1. semantics is interesting: i'm currently studying analytic philosophy. i'm hoping to make a career out of it.

2. some semantic arguments are both productive and likely to reach a conclusion (like Socrates arguing about justice; he's arguing about semantics, and coming to substantive conclusions).

3. some are neither productive nor likely to go anywhere: this ['is glowstringing a form of poi?'] is not.

e

ture na sig

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I see this thread as being a useful bit of communication- people who previously were opposed have now communicated and possibly seen the viewpoint of the other side.

People have seen that some of what they say with regard to both GS and poi-ers can cause (unintentional offence).

I see the thread as positive.

You feel that-

......we resolved that:

frown

the wording and tone of that seems to be suggesting that the conclusion of this thread is highly negative, and that it's incompatible with respect and sharing.

I see nothing in this thread, overall, that is incompatible with respect and sharing.

I'm certainly not suggesting that your intentions are bad; at most I'm saying that you seem to be seeing negativity in this issue that simply isn't there.

I believe that you, along with Jo, have done a lot of posting on GS.com, and that there was a fair bit of hostility involved?

If so, then fair enough- I can't comment as I wasn't there. But, in total honesty, I see no hostility in this thread.

For most of us here, this has been a fresh issue, I think that's clear from the number of posters who are totally bewildered about what the issue actually is, and why it's so emotive.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
i propose to resolve this once and for all by introducing some proper, indubitable negativity into this thread.

1. glowstringers often listen to hard house or commercial trance.

2. poi-ers tend to prefer psytrance, d&b, or other such music. in fact, it doesn't really matter what they listen to. the point is that it isn't hard house. or commercial trance.

3. house music is rubbish. so is commercial trance.

hence

4. poi and glowstringing are distinct, and poi is better.

QED.

everybody happy now?

ture na sig

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't exactly call that QED, quiet. One, not all glowstickers liten to the same music and I'm sure not all the poists do either. To stereotype and divide us by the sorts of music that some people listen to is not really resolving anything.

Personally, I think we should abandon this debate, and just agree to be friends as communities regardless of what's what and who's who.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Post-mortem report wink

Personally, I learnt a lot from the glowstickers at gs.c. and I think they kicked butt with their vid’s and such. Many thanks for sharing smile

Dissection table

stout, for non-turning turns, try keeping your feet in place, and turning your trunk (torso) old skool style wink

OWD it is reassuring to learn that you now finally see this thread as positive. Because it really doesn’t matter how many types of snow there are, just give me "powder" and hey don’t eat the “yellow snow”. “Don’t eat the yellow snow, the deadly yellow snow, from right there where the huskies go!” biggrin farnk zappa.

To anyone ho has found these discussions unproductive, I suggest you check out some of the kickarse glowsticking videos, and get out there and try something new.

quiet, you like semantics. But if glowstringers often listen to hard house or commercial trance. Then it is “hippies or hoppers” that tend to prefer psytrance, d&b etc. not poiers. HOP and GS.C are only parts of a large diverse community, and all have choice of music. Like your choice in music smile Edit: apologies quiet, the previous sversion was a little harsh.

Also much respect to everyone for not turning these discussions into a making yellow snow competition.

cheers smile

Peace, Love and Harmony
EDITED_BY: Stone (1113377329)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:

I see the thread as positive.

For most of us here, this has been a fresh issue, I think that's clear from the number of posters who are totally bewildered about what the issue actually is, and why it's so emotive.

I completely understand why you feel that this is a postitive.

I hope that you can understand why I'd feel that this is a negative.

I don't want to blow this up any bigger than it is. There's more to the issue that you don't know OWDave. And I kind of resent you referring to my opinions as propetuating hostility without an understanding of the situation.

Wes is extremely diplomatic and extremely respectful BUT this thread was started as a direct result of hostility at GSC. I guess I was unhappy that it was introduced here with smiles and hugs the day after I was told "F#ck home of Poi" by another member.

I'm still open to change and compromise and growth and friendship and understanding and I think I'll have a great time at the GSC meetup.

But I am disappointed with my reception at GSC and the blowup that followed it and the manner and timing and lack of disclosure on this thread. That's the context that I see this thread.

I don't see how my disappointment is propetuating hostility.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
You can always be disappointed and yet keep on hoping and pushing for the future.

The important thing is once again what you learn from it.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:

smile

Near enough - nobody is going to have a bunch of different words for exactly the same thing are they?

(Ignore the Latin vs. Saxon redundancy in the English language here wink)

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
so can we settle on the assertion that we are all 'spinners'?

i realised after 13 pages of "glowsticker not poi-ist" debate that i've never, ever heard anyone actually refer to a poi spinner as a poi-ist.

i like snow smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I think the distinction between spinning poi and spinning doubles has too long been overstated, so to me, drawing a distinction between swinging a cylinder 4inches long and 1/2 wide and swinging a sphere 2 inches wide (eg tennis ball) on a string is nonsensical - but i guess I'm just wierd...

does it really matter if ppl want to draw distinctions tho? So the rave kids want to 'own' their 'invention'. We've already established beyond doubt here at HOP that none of us 'owns moves' (I think?). So whats the big deal? unless you believe in the ownership of moves (the moves are the only real difference that can be argued here) then surely you are excluded from this kind of demarkation dispute?

Sweeping generalisation: In the long run only monoskill practitioners fail to realise the interconnectedness of all object manipulation.

tongue

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: spiralx

smile

Near enough - nobody is going to have a bunch of different words for exactly the same thing are they?

Slush is nothing like snow.

Snow is white stuff that seems to be fairly dry; slush is a horrid wet mess.

Snow is what igloos are built from- you can't build an igloo from slush.

Having said that, it's only certain types of snow that work with an igloo; if you or I attempted to construct an igloo, even if we knew the construction method, would probably select unsuitable snow (indeed, it sounds as if you might be inclined to try it with slush, which would fail spectacularly smile), whereas an eskimo, with his/her sense of different types of snow, would succeed.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nice side-stepping of my last snow post dave ubblol

again, inuits don't have 40 words for "the type of snow you build igloos from" dave.

they have 40 words to describe snow, from freshly falling flakes all the way to slush.

one of those will be 'igloo snow'.

to build an igloo you need a spade, a snow saw and snow solid enough to make blocks from - solid enough to hold their shape together under their own weight.

so, no, slush wouldn't do cos it might be hard to make blocks from but thanks for the hint - i was going to try that later rolleyes

as a quick hint for you, powder is the 'wrong type of snow' for igloos too.

but as we don't have any word other than 'snow' i guess we'll never have the ability to describe the type of snow needed to build an igloo...

except i just did.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ......