Forums > Social Discussion > Self Injury Awareness Day (SIAD) - 1st March

Login/Join to Participate

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by:

SIAD is a global awareness day, and yet it is not supported by any nations' governments, because it is a grass-roots idea.

Somehow, in the mists of time, the date was set as the 1st of March, and organisations around the world make extra efforts to raise awareness ready for SIAD.

Just posting this to spread the word a bit, I know there seems to be a "day" for every issue nowadays, but self-harm is a massive problem that is usually just swept under the carpet. Don't be surprised if you don't read/hear about this day elsewhere as it's deemed socially unacceptable and just ignored very often.

As with all these days, what's asked is that you show your awareness or support by wearing a particular colour. This one's orange, for some reason. There are beads on sale to show various things:

Written by:

Plain Orange - Self Harm (Awareness)

Orange with 1 white - Trying to stop Self Harm

Orange and White - Recovered Self Harmer

For more info or support go to: https://www.recoveryourlife.com.
To give you some idea of how common this problem is, in the 5 months this single website's been up it's had over 50 million hits.

Whilst I realise this may make people uncomfortable, I'm sure many are not aware of this behaviour, its causes and the help that's available (and still needs a good deal more support). It's shocking how common this is, and how it's not reached the popular cosciousness in any way other than a belittling "it's just a phase" mentality. So please read up on it if you can, and support the day by helping to raise awareness.

Thanks. smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Oooh, I forgot about that! Still have to make a bracelet (orange and white, whoo!) I have a lot of friends affected seriously by SI. I think it's a bigger deal than people think it to be...

Anywho! My name really has nothing to do with this for the record. smile

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Well.. you're already showing your awareness in your name, so you should be doubly commended! biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
well been doing this for years and didn't know there was a day for it, but shall spread the word. errr don't know which bracelet would be appropiate, for me but its nice to see people making an effort. although i do despise these so called days for something or another with matching colour hug hug anyway

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean about "days".. that was my initial response, shouldn't people be thinking about these things more than just one day a year?

But at the same time it's such an undiscussed, un-thought-about issue that I think anything that can be done to promote a greater awareness of it (even if it is just a concerted effort on a single day) it's gotta be worthwhile.

Thoreau

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Someone close to me and a few friends have been affected by this and I'll let them know about this day because I don't think they do. Self Injury can be a very hard thing to overcome and what makes it even more hard is that most people who don't do it don't understand why people do it.

Not to make light of this but when I was a kid we always celebrated March 1st as International Pig Day in my elementary school. I don't know if this was just local or if they got it from somewhere. ubbrollsmile

Peace, Love, Circles

Stay BeautifulBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
hey thanks Stuart for spreading the word smile

Everyone spread the word so that one day there will be no stigma.

cofounder of glove poi

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
smile Wow! You posted!

Good to see you on here, Hannah! biggrin

Thoreau

19 posts

Posted:
Written by: nearly_all_gone

smile Wow! You posted!

Good to see you on here, Hannah! biggrin

Im trying to only be addicted to one forum ya know wink

cofounder of glove poi

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
sign me up for the Orange and white..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Orange and 1 white for me, i'm not recovered fully... And my g/f for the orange and white...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

19 posts

Posted:
Ive decided Im gonna make a couple of posters, Im gonna take one to the doctors surgury too! biggrin

cofounder of glove poi

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stay Beautiful

Ive decided Im gonna make a couple of posters, Im gonna take one to the doctors surgury too! biggrin

That's a really good idea! I might do that too.. with the address for ryl maybe?

Need to get on this if it's going to happen though.. anyone else think they could make a poster and stick it up before tuesday? smile

Thoreau

Sir_Sheepold hand
725 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure about the posters, but I'm definately going shopping for some orange and white beads this weekend to make myself a bracelet.

Thanks for pointing this day out.

Spoiling Christmas for small children since 2003.

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
grouphug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I was just coming to bump this, thanks PL smile

Hope people have remembered to wear orange today to show their support and understaning to those who are affected by SI.

Remember kids: https://www.recoveryourlife.com

Thoreau

SCRUBSerm....can you smell parafin or is it me?
146 posts

Posted:
see also www.bpdworld.org for help in matters pertaining to self harm

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
bump

www.selfharmony.co.uk