Page: ...
DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
HAH HAH !!! Sweetness. I knew you wouldn't really cancle it on us Malcolm hug

Ok, this year I swear to not break any bones... really... I'm in... yea...

MAybe since there is no competition this year, arashi will actually enter... tongue

shake yo booty! eek

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I think it's a great idea smile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
~carrying from Pele~

I dont think there should be any other circus skills allowed on the new COL series, as indeed, it is Home of Poi and it is Circles of Light.

So unless you wer contacting with Globalls, there would be no circles of light.

I dont know.. call me a fool if you wish.

I do other stuff including other stuff including balls (Contact juggling, juggling, erm.. ) but I do think it should be restricted to Poi and staffs.

Where would you draw the line?

You allow Contact juggling one year, then juggling the next, then diablo after that, and before you know it, people are using yo-yos and miming.

I dont want any mimes artists on COL, so im taking my stand.

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: Unattractive Cranky Old Freud (1109249546)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
plus if you allow lots of other toys it'll end up just like the spherculism dvd wink

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Just an idea.. if it's by the community for the community.. could we have a photo-montage? So everyone who wants to submit a pic of them/them spinning (with their name on, if they want) could.. then maybe they could all flash up at the end or something, in alphabetical order or whatever..?

I think it would be cool, and with DVD technology we could all freeze it on us and brag about being on a DVD biggrin

Just a nice thing for the people who aren't good enough to get a vid on it..

Just an idea.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
UCOF: ain't you seen those fire contact juggling balls? coiled kevlar outside and flame inside.

About the DVD: Yeah can we put on 'special features' like a 'bloopers' section and a 'deleted scenes' section. And how about an interview with Malcolm or optional commentary throughout? wink

seriously though, I know it is home of poi, but i've seen that sticks and whips are allowed in CoL. if the name is CIRCLES of light does it matter what prop is being used so long as it is being spun/rotated/ used in a way that makes a 'circle of light'?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm.. not the fire contact ones... but I have seen the juggling balls... so i cant imagine they will be that much different.

I also think a bloopers section would be great.
smile No one does enough of them.

Yes. I also want an interview with Malcolm. In which he addresses us all individually by name wink

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
clap

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
i think you should be allowed to enter with any prop you like,
then malcolm can decide if it's worthy or fits in with the feel
of the rest of the video.

i don't want to enter doing poi 'cos it's not something i feel
confident with. but i do want to enter with a juggling routine,
and i feel that poi and juggling have a lot in common.

i consider myself to be part of the hop community. i think it
would be unfair to tell people that they can only enter doing
poi or staff if there strengths lie elsewhere. if it's intended as
a community video now rather than a competition then
surely anyone from the community should be allowed to
enter.

also, i would very much like to see an contact juggling entry
from durbs 'cos his "nearly" video is fantastic. ubbrollsmile

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
and i think if the video is called "circles of light 2005" people
will confuse it with "circles of light 5". so we should call it
"circles of light 2006" 'cos that makes much more sense smile.

or maybe "home of poi 2005" to differentiate it from the
the cols now that it is a vastly different beast.

i think the photo montage is a very good idea.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The thing with juggling and other things is that there are other places dedicated just to that already. There are alot of people who have started in poi who feel they are not good enough yet to be on the videos.
The point is to use the desire to be on the video as motivation to get better, not to simply default to a strength. This is, after all, Home of Poi and the video should reflect that first and foremost, just as it has *always* done.

And as I said before, it is not a different beast at all, it is still the same, only the prizes have changed.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
can I point at [Old link] thread?

I think all posts should start with captain here. It would be a lot more fun.

I'm sure you'ree all very good jugglers and contact jugglers, but if I wanted to see that stuff, I'd go to a convention, or peapot.net or glass. That seems harsh, but I really just want more staff for staff rather that poi... tongue

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

i think you should be allowed to enter with any prop you like,
then malcolm can decide if it's worthy or fits in with the feel
of the rest of the video.

Written by: Pele

The thing with juggling and other things is that there are other places dedicated just to that already. There are alot of people who have started in poi who feel they are not good enough yet to be on the videos.

I'd like to be able to have at least part of my entry using other skills; juggling, contact etc are a big part of what I am.

I think COL buyers would love to see other beautiful skills mixed in with the poi.

COL 5 had what amounted to juggling in one entry (using staffs) and it was fascinating- really stood out.

I agree that an entry consisting entirely of a juggling routine would most likely be innapropriate- but then again it wouldn't pass the judges selection; it's be a shame if an entry that had a portion of non-poi was automatically excluded.

My impression of the internet is that some other skills are well catered for (diabolo.ca, unicyclist.com etc).

I have yet to find a juggling resource that in anyway approaches HOP- we've got the IJJdb, but, though I do post on it, it is a very different thing to HOP and not especially user-friendly.

HOP is a thriving community whose members practice a variety of skills- many poi-ers branch onto juggling, and now, many jugglers are seeing the value of poi and coming over here to join in.

=============

At the end of the day it's just something that has to be decided (to allow juggling etc or not) and it's not something I'm going to push hard for, but, I do want to express my opinion (that a portion of juggling/other skills is OK).

And I would like, at some point, for a decision to be made and put on the COL guidelines so we all know what the score is.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
And, another thing I'd like to see is more non-fire stuff. Judging by the proportion of 'fire in the dark' entries on the last COL, I felt that many people went for that approach possibly because it looks very appealing.

Given that there is to be some form of judging, one easy way to encourage more non-fire and daylight footage would be to have a category for fire, and another for unlit and daylight stuff.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

COL 5 had what amounted to juggling in one entry (using staffs) and it was fascinating- really stood out.

i believe it had staff juggling in two entries (but sadly the staff juggling in
the rubber heart duo's entry was the much better of the two). it also had
some fire club juggling in one of the entries which i thought went really
well with the poi and staff smile.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

I have yet to find a juggling resource that in anyway approaches HOP- we've got the IJJdb, but, though I do post on it, it is a very different thing to HOP and not especially user-friendly.

wink that would all depend on your language skills!.
I read a hell of a lot of euopean forums in juggling, poi, unicycling... there are countless commmunities that are thrieving... but the lack of the non english speakers means that they have thier own sites that limit the user base to that country alone.

Just think if all of the communities pulled together... maybe one day we would all just walk the earth in the same reality. wink

I'm liking the other toy aproach too!. i understand your point pele with the HOP thing.. maybe a sectioned DVD with poi/staff/uni's/juggling etc... that way we can all cut the crap plus makes things more interesting for us viewers...

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
what about other props.. like fire swords and the like? are they to be strewn by the wayside?

i think the most important guideline in this is to read the rules

8. Must be doing swinging , twirling, or any of the fire arts.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hehe i cant see other props being a problem for awhile remember all the complaints about poorly shot videos? remember all the lazy people *cough*rob*cough* that promise an entry every year but never put one in? more entrys means more to choose from maybe we will be able to see everyone in focus with enough light in col 2005, if everyone allows malcolm to edit it would mean the best of everything .... hehe thats a big if

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have to say I am really frustrated with the mentality of many on here.

Until the contest was removed, no one questioned the rules. And now, everyone seems to.

The rules have not changed.
Thanks FNI, as it was what I was about to post when I saw it.

And as for Malcolm being allowed to edit, it is also asked that people submit a short span of their best material so that alot of editting does not need to happen.

On the first video people sent in hours of spinning. Malcolm and others had to sit through all of it and determine what was good enough to use and what was not. That particular guideline was put in place the next year so that would not happen again.

I am saddened by the disregard for the time that people already put into these videos. I should think that everyone would be grateful that they weren't cancelled altogether (which, btw, I was a proponent of), instead of attempting to change the rules and make more work for those involved in its production.

Give an inch, take a mile. :sad:

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
what i ment with the editing is instead of all the 4 minute entrys being on there perhaps some of them which have areas that are a little repedative could be shorted so more fit on, possibly even a 5-10 minute flicking through clip type deal (ppl could possibly be asked to attach a 10 second clip specifically for it to save malcolm editing time) could be on at the end like the photo montage idea so that everyone who sends in an entry gets to be on there even if its only the breif 10 second clip, i think it would be great if there was so of the social nature somehow captured possibly with some footage of spitz/burning man type places seeings as its more of a class of 2005 type video rather than competition. maybe a special features to the dvd with ppls photos fire and otherwise (gotta love the tiny amount of space they take up relatively speaking)

im happy to say that i got back some professionally filmed footage (omg i want a 3ccd camear of my own soooo much now) of a friend of mine spinning poi at the beach (a proper beach with actual sand none of this english rubbish immitation stuff with its shell grit ubbloco hug) just before and during sunset, it turned out soooo much better than hoped and shall be shortly on its way over as an entry to col 2005 biggrin should hopefully get getting some more footage done in a national park with a waterfull and cliff edge to a national park type stuff happening

pele what is it thats saddening you? if malcolm doesnt like the idea of modifying the rules he wont.

when im frustrated i watch this https://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/lyle_24/myhero.html
(you need activex enabled) and im always smiley after biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
I still wanna do something glowstaff oriented tho....

Fire scares me.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
if u rig up a blacklight and wear appropriate clothes itll make u stand out and if your using chemical glowies on ur staff it will illuminate em more otherwise some laundry powder (some of them glow something wicked) on the inside of your staff will make it glow extra crazy, could possibly look really effective having black lights on laundry powder all over the floor (nice n easy to vacuum up) mmmm ideas

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

I should think that everyone would be grateful that they weren't cancelled altogether (which, btw, I was a proponent of

aww bless people can top taking credit for this now then too rolleyes

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: fNi

i think the most important guideline in this is to read the rules

8. Must be doing swinging , twirling, or any of the fire arts.

It's the guidelines that make me ask about juggling and other skills.

Do they exclude juggling? If so then the presence of staff juggling on COL 5 is a little confusing.

It also seems a little strange that juggling with fire balls/clubs would be ok, but not with unlit stuff.

Like I said before, I'm not saying that entries consisting entirely of contact/juggling/other skills are what I'd like to see on COL; but I think that interspersed segments in peoples entries would serve to: -

1. Make the DVD more interesting
2. Allow people to share their other skills and creativity
3. Inspire others to try out those skills

In addition it could help to encourage entrants to shift away from the 100% fire mentality.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

joolsSILVER Member
7 posts

Posted:
Yep... if i can get 'round to making another video this year it'll have more of my toys in! ...i'll still have chains - (the old favorite!) but i think variation is a good thing. And as long as it's spinning/rotating/rolling/making pretty patterns... all the better juggle angel2

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i'll buy it if jools is on it.

smile

(still my fave on the entire dvd )

as for spinny things. where does this leave fire fingers?

My vote is for variety. the judges can make sure the vid is sufficiently HOP orientated.

This is, after all, Home of Poi and the video should reflect that first and foremost, just as it has *always* done.

'Were doing it this way because we always did' confused

besides, if the shop sells a toy there is no reason you shouldnt be able to showcase it on a community dvd sold in the same shop.

Love is the law.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:

I have to say I am really frustrated with the mentality of many on here.

Until the contest was removed, no one questioned the rules. And now, everyone seems to.

The rules have not changed.
Thanks FNI, as it was what I was about to post when I saw it.

i'm not sure i understand what it is that you're frustrated with confused. i think what we're doing is clarifying the rules and coming up with suggestions (some of which i think have been very good) to try to improve the community video.

as far as i can remember the rules have always been clarified in the build up before a col. people discuss it being a competition and ask whether they can enter with certain props wink.

this is because the rules have always been a little ambiguous. previous entries have had random things in them, but been dominated by poi or staff. however, i can't remember ever seeing an entry based entirely on one of the "other toys", so i was curious as to how malcolm felt about such things. particularly concerning contact juggling, which is related to poi and staff but you'd be hard pushed to interpret the rules to allow it smile.

I should think that everyone would be grateful that they weren't cancelled altogether (which, btw, I was a proponent of)

i am grateful they weren't cancelled. i'm not sure why you're so against them. i think they're really rather fun. ubbrollsmile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: 2bags

particularly concerning contact juggling, which is related to poi and staff but you'd be hard pushed to interpret the rules to allow it smile.

i suppose you could interpret them so that if you use a fire juggling ball, you could contact with it.

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
yeah, that would be a way around the rules, but i think part of the magic of contact juggling can only be achieved with acrylics. now if you can interpret the rules to allow unlit contact balls (not being swung or twirled) i'll be impressed. smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
just put the fire inside the contact ball wink

Love is the law.

Page: ...