Forums > Social Discussion > Board 'quote' function problem

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Board 'quote' function faulty?

I've noticed for some time that the 'quote' reply function works fine generally, but can't handle embedded quotes in a sensible way.

So, for example, if someone quotes part of my post, and I wish to reply by quoting their response including their quote of me (necessary to make the context clear) the result is is mish-mash with partial tags mixed in with the quote.

It wouldn't be a problem if quoting text with an embedded quote was a rarity, but it's not. In the recent 'hotties' thread there's been some confusion as to who posted what due to the embedded quote problem.

I'll attempt to clarify in the next couple of posts by quoting myself.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

I've noticed for some time that the 'quote' reply function works fine generally, but can't handle embedded quotes in a sensible way.

So, for example, if someone quotes part of my post, and I wish to reply by quoting their response including their quote of me (necessary to make the context clear) the result is is mish-mash with partial tags mixed in with the quote.

It wouldn't be a problem if quoting text with an embedded quote was a rarity, but it's not. In the recent 'hotties' thread there's been some confusion as to who posted what due to the embedded quote problem.

A straight quote, which works OK.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

A straight quote, which works OK.

Embedded quote.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
That's wierd, it worked. Has someone fixed it?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i've had some trouble with quotes when i've gone back to edit a post.

sometimes they turn into strange code with the work 'blockqoute' in them and i have to go a retyping.

Love is the law.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
It wasn't working right earlier today, so I know what you're talking about, OWD. Does it depend on where you do the quote from (within your reply, or if you hit the quote button before you reply)? This morning, I'd get the innermost quoted part as being quoted, but the outermost one just had some strange line and then the text appeared as normal, whereas the quoted text is usually smaller and not as bold.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
blockquote appears because ubb's parsing code is poo. It converts it to html, then not back properly. It also fails on images with question marks in (ie any image outputted by a script). In the past I've had to do rather hackish things to get images onto the board. It does however in it's dodgyness allow my avatar wink

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

It does however in it's dodgyness allow my avatar wink

mad2 oh, great!!!! ubblol now you're making me click the refresh button about a million times to find out what your avatar will spell out in the end. before now I didn't even notice it was changing all the time...

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I've been wondering about that myself

i think i'll just wait till you figured it out now though

ubblol

Love is the law.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
ah.... got it.
and it only took me 52 clicks to be able to fill in the blanks and read the whole thing...
and in answer to that Flid: have you already started the not pron thing? ("The hardest riddle available on the internet"). some people take weeks to complete it, i'm in level 17 now, it's my 3rd day.

ubbidea hey, maybe I'll start a not pron thread on HoP, enough people who are bored here.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!