Forums > Social Chat > Something just clicked . . . .

Login/Join to Participate

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I was at a free party on Saturday and was having a fairly good time doing some spinning and a little bit of breathing. I ran out of paraffin just before sunrise so went for a dance.

It didnt take me long to realise that there were a LOT of gay men and women around, which made me feel a little awkward especially when one bloke said to me - "I really like shaved gingers."

This comment took several seconds to register as I had, had quite a bit to drink/smoke but as soon as it did I decided to find some space where there werent loads of people and do some practice with my chains instead

Now I dont know what happened but everything started to fall into place, I have really struggled with some simple moves like low wave but I managed to pull this off first time when I tried , therefore I tried BTB weave (rev) as I had been getting close to learning it. I cant keep it up for very long but I can now do it a lot better than I could in the past . When I got bored with hurting my poor arms and shins doing btb weave, I decided to try some single handed stuff and managed (only with right hand at the moment) to pull off what looks to me like some kind of 4-beat weave, I usually start with the poi completely together and start the motion infront of my body and then behind (ie the planes that you spin in for the butterfly) but I can move it into the plane of the weave once the poi become out of sync

Needless to say when I got home I had to stay up for a while and practice my newly learnt moves and try and work them into a new routine, I was a little too tired to get the routines sorted but I did do bit more practicing. At 10.30am (after about 7 hours of twirling!) I finally decided I had better go to bed as my arms were starting to feel like they were going to fall off

I just wondered if anyone had had similar experiencesthought that this could be a good place for people to share their stories about when everything started to fall into place.

Happy twirling,

Mak P

Cagemember
174 posts

Posted:
Well, as I'm still pretty new, I just learned the one handed butterfly. I saw someone doing it in Seattle July 4th and was explaining it to a non-poi friend. As I was explaining how I couldn't make the transfer, she started yelling, "you're doing it!" I dunno what happened but it was pretty sweet. That particualr friend couldn't put down my practice poi so I made her some of her own and now she is lovin it! It feels good to share fire with people!

*shine on, smile on, dance on, then move on*

Without further guilding the lily and with no more ado, I bid you farewell and sweet dreams...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
It is great that you got together some new moves. It is an excellent feeling.

It would also have been great if it had clicked that partying with gay men and women is just the same as partying with straight men and women. You still get unwanted pickup attempts that you have to handle with grace and kindness, and you can still have a damn fine time...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Sounds to me like he did!

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
Sat night I was doing my best to find a club that would allow me to spin. Finally I found a club that allowed it. I spun my practice poi and my flags. Later on, a very nice boy asked to try the flags a bit. I showed him a few moves. When the night drew to a close he thanked me graciously. It is such a wonderful thing to be able to share your passion with others!

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

BigPantsmember
99 posts

Posted:
I went to Spitterfields market, London; with a couple of friends, to go to the tuesday evening meet down there. At this point i couldn't do the 3 beat weave, and could only do the basic moves. My friend who had never picked up poi in her life before was slowley getting it better than i was, and i was getting so frustrated that i had been trying for weeks and still couldn't do it. The people there were really patient helping me to learn it. Then i just said 'well what about if you just do the figure of 8 like this, then just go like this', and i was doing the 3 beat weave, it was the best feeling, and i think thats when i got properly hooked on poi.

[ 27 August 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: Azie ]

The bigger the pants the better!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah most people seem to have had similar break throughs with learning new moves which is what I was trying to across with this post.

Rozi - I dont have a problem with partying with gay men and women, it was just the situation. I dont normally get loads of pick up attempts when I am partying, I go along spin, have a dance and a chat with people. This was different though because the friends I had gone to the party with left earlier than me and I did start to get a lot of attention. I therefore decided that I was happier just finding myself a little bit of space, away from the crowd and practicing my poi

Mark P

VictoriaBRONZE Member
29 posts

Posted:
There was one night at a 24-hour bike race when I was just starting out. I had been trying to get the 3 beat weave for what seemed like forever. So that night I was practicing and trying for a few hours, and not only did I get the 3 beat weave forwards but I was able to do it backwards as well.
They just seemed to come to me
It was great

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Mark, sorry, my bad Overreaction & mis-interpretation...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Mark P... Check the thread I wrote about manipulation...

Similar experiences are there.

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
cheers drome will look in a sec Rozi, reading back through what I wrote I can see how you interpreted it the way that you did - no need for an appology but here have a big *HUG* and a piece of cake.

what this tread was all about for me was just the sheer joy of learning I have been twirling for about 10 months and found lately that I had been getting into a bit of a rut. I enjoy playing with my poi but there were moves that I was a hell of a lot better at and therefore in most routines I would practice these more. I found I was paying little attention to butterfly type moves but then when I put my mind to it (in a slightly altered state ) lots of things just started to fall into place for me

It really gave me that feeling where I just HAD to practice that little bit more until my arms wouldnt move anymore

Mark P

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
There was this huge rave party near me in a warehouse. I doubt they allowed my age to be in there, but i spun for a long time. some guys asked if they can use my glowsticks, i give them some yellow glowsticks and taught him the weave. The guys eyes were lit in glee, i had to let him keep the poi ubblol and i remember i couldnt do the 4 beat weave once, I began to get stressed so i spun faster, and i didnt move my arms quick enough, resulting the poi to perform a 4 beat weave biggrin

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"