Page: ...
NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
hey,

im georgina and am possibly going to be coming to australia as part of my degree to work in the chemical industry for a year.I was hoping for some advice on the best places to go for this and also where all you spinners are based out there. weavesmiley

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

OK it's official. Brisbane Rocks. Piazza goes off every Monday. Moonfest is superdelicious every full moon (moon rising over sea....) Kangaroo Pt Cliffs. Friendly happy people and warmth and green and blah blah blah. Oh yeah, and jobs....
All we need is the Adelaide crew to move up here and we will have the EVERYTHING capital of the WORLD clap ubblol

Gabe doesnt lie ya know. smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

xatedBRONZE Member
65 posts

Posted:
i'm based in sydney. my interested include poi singing and not badminton but tennis.

nnngah

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I'm a Melbournite!
Have been wielding a single long staff for some time & i'm beginning to dabble in dual short staves. I also enjoy Yoga & provided I can get there this year I'll be teaching Yoga at Common Ground 2006. Yaay! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

pyrotekGOLD Member
old man fire
27 posts

Posted:
melbourne has a small but dedicated scene. brisbane's scene is huge. it's because firetwirling is suited to warmer weather and tourism. i should go up there, work the gold coast and the holiday resorts .. waste a coupla years .. should be fun smile

maybe, just maybe, i'll move smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: arictocRAT

Brisbane's scene is huge.

Brissy's scene isn't as accessible as it used to be, or as apparently huge, since Moonfest. There's still quite a few good people around, just more dispersed.

Written by: arictocRAT

it's because firetwirling is suited to warmer weather and tourism.

confused

have you ever spun fire in 40° heat? ubblol

And tourism I don't understand.... you mean there's more corporate gigs up here??

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

pyrotekGOLD Member
old man fire
27 posts

Posted:
yes i have spun in 51 degree heat actually at a summer confest smile i admit i was standing waist-deep in the river at the time

corporate gigs nah, that's here and sydney. tourism stuff. holiday resorts. physical performance agents ...

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah yes I see what you mean.

There is a fair bit of work up here at conferences and meet and greets and rewards events and stuff. Corporate tourism. wink

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone,

can't wait to meet other spinners and see the beautiful coast you've got over there. We'll be two happy campers and a gorgeous doggy doing the East Coast down alllll the way to Tassie. Yay, travelling again!!! It's about time, getting hot here in the Alice...

Might see you there.
Sprocket wavehello

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Yaaay! Come to Melbourne where the weather changes on an hourly basis!

Kupo!

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
has any one in got into any trouble with local gangs(stupid teenages douche bags) and the like in there local area.

because Melbourne has this problem mush like id imagine Sydney would.

just an OZ question.

LEAK SPIN

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Never run into it much here. But then we are not in a real 'gangy' part of the city. *calls on Pogo who lives Southside*.

There were a lot of drunk teenies a few years ago at the Burleigh meet but I hear that's pretty much sorted these days.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Nifelium:

The meets i've attended in Melbourne have been Southbank/Arts Center and Fitzroy areas. On the whole we haven't had any/many problems with gangs or teenagers or the like. We get the occasional crazy drunk tourist or tramps who have a penchant for causing trouble, but nothing that hasn't been diffused quickly smile

Sorry to hear about your local troubles!

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :newgabe

Never run into it much here. But then we are not in a real 'gangy' part of the city. *calls on Pogo who lives Southside*.

tis the main reason I haven't tried to spin up at the local park; there's a very large open area park withing 50m of my front door and it'd be perfect for a local spin meet, or even just pulling out a stick or two occasionally and setting it on fire, but it'd just be begging for trouble. the area is filled with nutters, drunks and young'ns with nothing better to do than get into trouble.

as others have alluded to; pick your spot, and you're not likely to have too much trouble.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
its not that im worried that much just alot of stupid crap has hapned to me in the city (like the time i saved some guys life after he got bashed and thrown into the yarra at southbank.)

around the burbs my area in articuler theres a few but im actually out there more with even more mates so they jsut stay away. i usally tend to spin reclusivly in a local storm drain actaully or under a local freeway bridge. no one comes by there and no body can see you.

but the city. i feel as though it hates me ubbloco

LEAK SPIN

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
the city is evil... avoid it all costs; I do...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Perth has trouble with being 'overtaken' by unsavourable types in winter.

But usually a few months of hibernation gets rid of them.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I don't believe that the violent situation described above is representative of the twilring experience in Australia.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Nope me neither.
Iv never really had any problems in canberra. Just the odd drunk Guy and usually they are pretty friendly even if they do creep me out a bit. Def never violent or aggressive.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
In my few forays into more populated areas while spinning people have tended to treat it with admiration and amazement rather than aggression!

The most aggressive situation I've run across was one in which I was demanded to do a show... which I was already doing anyway, so I just threw in some more visually impressive movements and that was pretty much it... I was told to keep it up and the drunkies moved on.

hug

joseph_ganderGOLD Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
Wollongong goes off

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24322345400/

DonutBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
sydney northern beaches spinners ????? ha ha smile ive just ordered $400 worth of new fire/glo toys im ooober OOBER excited

poi_kingGOLD Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Any Brissy or Gold Coast people want to meet up sometime? I do a bit of poi and a bit less double staff but would love to meet up with others and share tricks and hints. tongue2

If the last thing I say is a lie and the first thing I say is the truth, am I lying or telling the truth?

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
PoiK in Brisbane we meet up on Monday nights in Southbank at the Piazza (known as JuggleJam) and Gold Coast there is a sweet meet at Burleigh Beach which happens every Sunday from about 6pm smile
EDITED_BY: keyarghah (1326805331)

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

meltingBRONZE Member
journeyman
76 posts

Posted:
Anything happening in newcastle?????

are you gonna drink that?

TonyYnotFireBRONZE Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hello friends. My name is Tony & Ill be in Australia this summer. Would like to meet up with other flowers.

Also Like my fire performer page on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Ynot-Ramos-Fire-Performer/448455371880689

Aus Firetwirlstranger
4 posts

Posted:
Aus Firetwirl

Aus Firetwirl, home of twirlers and fire freaks alike, so jump in and get twirling!

www.facebook.com/AusFiretwirl

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
There really is no need to put this link up more than once, hey? Especially not I'm other threads that are completely unrelated to Aussie fire twirling, dude.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

LayerZer0BRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
So, I should be moving to Australia sometime this year between April-July.. If all goes well with my visas and all that mess.

Definitely hoping to find a group of spinners, eaters, or general freaks/circus folks. Haha.

I'll be living in Narre Warren. Anyone nearby, drop me a line! I'd love to get to know a few local spinners before I make it over there... It's been quite awhile since I've performed or even burned in my front yard!

So, if you're in or around Melbourne..Drop me a line and introduce yoruself!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
you'll have no problem finding the freaks and the eaters, lots of them in Aussie, and that's just the wildlife... :-)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
I guess it depends on which city/state you're going to, but from what I've seen Gold Coast/Brisbane and Melbourne seem to be pretty active in terms of fire peeps, and there are definitely regular burns happening in Adelaide and Sydney smile

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

Page: ...