Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Manchester Spinners Meet up Info + Stuff

Login/Join to Participate
Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
juggle weavesmiley Manchester Spinner’s Meet up and stuff weavesmiley juggle

Hi all If you are looking for people to spin poi with in the North west this is the place to be.

For any one new to this sight DON’T READ THE WHOLE THREAD it has been going a long time and contains lots of old information and chat about previous meet ups and organisation stuff just go to the last few posts to find out the most up-to-date information on current events.

First a bit of info the Manchester spinners lot is no professional spinning troop or organised events it is just a group of people who get together to enjoy themselves. The first meet up was organised way beck in September 04 https://delizium.fotopic.net/c291964.html

The crowd has changed a bit from back then but we have kept a few old timers we welcome all along to come and join us for a spin whether you be experienced or a complete beginner we are willing to teach and learn from you.

Their is no set time for the meet ups they are usually organised around when people can make it and how long they can stay.

I will try to update this first post as often as I can with the most up-to-date info on meet ups and club nights that allow spinning but if I'm being a bit lax just find the last few posts foe up-to-date info (like I said before weren’t you paying attention)

To date the standard meets have gone as meet up in Piccadilly gardens at 4pm (nice central point where every one can get to) Then move on down to the Gas Works/CastleField or Plat fields Park depending on the wether till everyone gets to cold/tired/burned then on to the pub

( anybody who doesn’t know where this is it can be arranged for someone to come meet you at the train station or wherever you are coming from .) smile

{ ubblove We are a nice bunch like that ubblove}

Accommodation for a night can usually be arranged but you need to sort this well in advance no just turning up expecting somewhere to sleep eek

(more to be added and all to be spell checked soon)

pm me any info you would like to add

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

fire_fairy_liquidBRONZE Member
enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
rhia was the person that i spoke to and she said she is having to escalate it up, it looks like im gunna be the only one doing it lol

you can do if yu have the time.... email lee.hughes@ge.com

i have told them that i will be bringing some water and a fire blanket as well just in case... but in the whole 5 yrs iv been spinning i have neve really needed it. (obviously bought new every so often)

thanks

thanks for burning with me

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
ok guys doesnt matter, iv just had confirmation from rhia at the council that not enough notice has been given, but maybe next year

thanks for all that showed interest though

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
so when are we going to have a meet? its been ages! when are people free?

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
im free whenever.... i think it should be soo too and does anyone else know anywhere a little closer to town centre.... im finding it really difficult to get to platt fields coz of buses and trains and such :'( been thinking, how about the urbis area??
or somewhere like that.... its green and i bet with the fountains and the ornament t hingy it would be fun... plus close to buses and vic station

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yes but it's also very public, teeming with mini moshers who will no doubt accost us asking to 'have a go' and also full of security guards who are not very friendly towards those of us who are, let's say, green behind the gills...(and we are legion) plus in the event of rain, there is bugger all shelter.

It's not at Platt fields these days anyway. It's usually at Castlefield where it is quiet, has lighting at night, as more shelter than Gasworks ever afforded, and whatever we do, the police leave us alone, whether it be fire or other things. And it's ONLY 5mins *WALK* away from Gasworks! Or 10/15min walk from Piccadilly or 3mins from Deansgate station.

Even if we did have it at Platt Fields, which we don't because it's not very well sheltered and does requires one bus journey a it's only one 70p straight bus ride!

Seriously Lee, we have people who come from out of town and other cities who come to this! Least you could to to make a little bit more effort! tongue2

When it does start getting consistently cold, there's always this, only 5min walk away from Picadilly (don't tell me that's too far for you!) I for one am happy to brave the cold but am aware than others aren't.

Originally Posted By: Neon_Shaolin
One idea I had to today was the possibility of hiring out studio space on a Sat/Sun at this place

https://www.sunshine-studios.co.uk

Yes it will get rid of the free-ness of the outdoor meets but nobody said indoor meets are cheap. In fact alot of indoor meets on HOP usually expect on average a £3-person charge. If people are happy to pay that I would gladly inquire further tomorrow.

What say you?

Originally Posted By: Neon_ShaolinI when to Sunshine studios yesterday and enquired about prices for studio space.

There is a smaller studio with mirrors and the like and is private which is £12.50 per hour. There's the huge studio for £25.50 ph. But there is also some communal areas just outside the studios which you can hang around for the £2 per person entry fee (on top of the studio hiring)

The main issue we had was the 6:00pm closing time on a Sunday. One of the owners said (on the presumption that we will be there till 9pm) that if there are enough (i.e. paying) people he could arrange for someone to be there until we go.

There we go. Not perfect, not free but I just wanted to put it out there...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
Wooo.. Neon i didnt mean to offend anyone and i had i known where the meets were i wouldnt have minded and as for other ppl, dont they drive

whens the next one and il see you there..... if i can find castlefield lol

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
No worries!

I suppose it's too late to arrange one for this Sunday but how about the Sunday after?

Sunday 16th? Pidge will be back for that one won't you?

smile

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: fire_fairy_liquidand as for other ppl, dont they drive

nope generally get the train from stoke to come up there which is why i prefer the meets to be in central manc too.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Next Sunday would be awesome! I will try and get some of the Scouse crowd to pop down!

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
yeah ill be back, wouldn't miss it! hug

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Oh yes! Managed to blag a lift from one of the scouse spinners. I guess I will be having a double date with Pidge AND Mary Jane! Wonderful!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
woot!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Yeah man! Its going to be huge! wink

enthusiast
287 posts

Posted:
this sunday coming.... oh great im there lol this is gunna be fun, will try and bring my camera as well so i can get some happy snaps of firey goodness

in need of some new snakes though, mines broke last night :'(

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:
My net's gone down again... frown

I'll try to make this meet, not garrenteing anything though

and yes, i am aware that i can't spell that long word begining with g... tongue2

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I might be able to make this one.

I'll hopefully be back in Manchester it time grin

Pashionstranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hey, i'm a newbie but i'm gonna be in town that afternoon anyway or so it seems!! Would be cool to meet up, haven't tried fire yet (of course lol) and TBH not quite ready to but yeh, someone PM me a number and i'm there grin

c ya

'We are all the unconscious mind of the universe' - Dr Richard Bandler

yoyo22GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
where abouts in castlefield does everyone meet?

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: yoyo22where abouts in castlefield does everyone meet?

Usually the amphitheatre bit behind the Japanese juggling hot plate fry up place but I think we will be hiding in amongst the arches. Basically, as soon as you reach the Amphitheatre, you will see the elevated train track to the right of the seats. Follow the track towards Deansgate/Oxford/Piccadilly and we will be living somewhere underneath.

Originally Posted By: PashionHey, i'm a newbie but i'm gonna be in town that afternoon anyway or so it seems!! Would be cool to meet up, haven't tried fire yet (of course lol) and TBH not quite ready to but yeh, someone PM me a number and i'm there grin

c ya

Bubbles is from Bolton too!
EDITED_BY: Loewan (1226579565)

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Just had a quick scan of the posts but couldn't see anything about a meeting time? I'll quite possibly be able to make this one grin

Oh, and does anyone know the address of a building near the amphitheatre? Then I can get a map from the station - I don't know the area at aall really.
EDITED_BY: willworkforfoodjnr (1226582754)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I'd say about 4ish... I'll try anyway

PM's on the way...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: willworkforfoodjnrJust had a quick scan of the posts but couldn't see anything about a meeting time? I'll quite possibly be able to make this one grin

Oh, and does anyone know the address of a building near the amphitheatre? Then I can get a map from the station - I don't know the area at aall really.

if we can work out getting to the station at the same time then we can walk down together.

ill pm you my number, and jus gimme a call, im usually quite slack with having credit.

EDIT : if anyone else doesnt know how to get there please say so, and we can all meet together n walk down.
EDITED_BY: simta (1226595845)

yoyo22GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
im new lol n would like to meet in town to get directions etc. when n where ppl meetin to go?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well i come from stoke so have to come through picadilly station, initially just planned to meet chris there, but if its easier we can do the ol'meet in picadilly gardens n group wander to castlefield.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Does this work?

Non-Https Image Link

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
im going to be arriving at picadilly station at 4pm. so can meet people in picadilly gardens on the benches by the coffee place at 4:15pm.

anyone wanting to join the walking convoy please try n reach at this time, i dont wanna be waiting around there too long (the waiting will make me dive into bar burrito or cracky kremes which is good but also very bad)

i will have my staffs with me so fairly easy to spot

yoyo22GOLD Member
stranger
10 posts

Posted:
cool. il b coming along to meet u

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
smile all new recruits are very welcome smile

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: simtaanyone wanting to join the walking convoy please try n reach at this time, i dont wanna be waiting around there too long (the waiting will make me dive into bar burrito or cracky kremes which is good but also very bad)

I am actually tempted to meet you at Piccadilly now that you mentioned my two addictions. Honestly, those Tacos are so good! I want some noooow! And they will go down so well after a game of ping and pong! <3

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
bar burrito is amazing, stopping there wouldnt be too bad, but cracky kremes is pure hellish delights. they're just not right, but they're so good as long as they're filled ones from there, don't see the point in the other types.