BTB Fishtailes.

:],

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
meg was calling something like that at play last year a full body steve.. they are nice though wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ultimate = angel roll, cartwheel forming another angle roll between arm and leg....... then leg and leg, then arm and leg......

so one cartwheel and 4 rolls!

whooo! - ultimate biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
That's just silly.... ubblol the day I see you do that dude... I'll buy you a beer wink

actually, I think I saw this on tekken or soul caliber ubblol
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1171385465)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

afraid not dude......... i found them easier with a heavier stick to start with...... becaue it moves slower and makes your arm less eratic, giving you time to understand what your doing, slowness is the key wink and concentrate on reverse ones - they sit in your wrist better and are easier to control smile

Just keep going, you willl get there, if not just do what 2bags does and use cellotape ubblol

biggrin

Alright thanks for the advice. I'll watch Meg's reverse fishtail videos again. smile
I'll have to take all this superglue back to the shop...

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
anothe bit of advise........ learn them in halfs....... smile

i.e: roll staff onto back of your hand as it gets there turn with it...... or carry it across with your arm and be static - its hard to give you pointers when i cant see you....... but in theroy if you learn thes "carries" both ways..... left to right / right to left....... youll get the idea and linking them will come naturally...... andeventually, until one day....... youl be going "dam why did i find this soooo difficult"

ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
So hard finding time to practice... it keeps peeing down with rain around here! Wish summer would hurry up and happen. smile

Thanks for the advice Strugz, I'll try it out when I can; it just feels awkward trying to reprogram my body to do all this new movements. I'm sure I'll grasp it eventually... practice practice practice, right?

I hope that one day I do look back on this and think; "How the hell did I find it so hard?" biggrin
By that point I'll be trying to get my head round something really complex. ubbloco

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on the ultimate roll, can't wait to see that in action. Questions....

Is the staff going R.Hand to R.Foot or R.Hand to L.Foot first? I've tried the second one but not the first.

Also, I get the impression that your ultimate roll has the staff in the vertical plane (ideally ;P ), is this right? Not important, I just always thought someone would get the horizontal form of this first as it seems easier (from the point of view of someone who can't cartwheel ubblol).

Written by: -sandy-

Mind you, having played with it a bit im not really sure of the value of the move apart from in its geeky sense. Its not that attractive and just kinda looks like a snes and a front side snes with wild arm propellors umm

Yeah, it gets smoother but still feels ugly. There's a non-turning version too but I feel neither is something I'll make a habit of though. It is useful being able to use sections of the moves though, and knowing any trick increases your freedom of movement I guess.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Oh yea i was posting about this before but got distracted and never hit send.
The ultimate roll im doing is horizontal with a twister, much easier than the vertical version. In retrospect im not sure if this actually counts as an ultimate roll, more of a full twister.
I have had some success with the vertical but cant get it past my legs.
For the vertical im doing a vertical steve from left hand down to the right hand side of the body (like megs vertical body roll) then starting the cartwheel left hand down first so it wraps the whole body rather than the whole body and all the limbs.
I like strugzs idea for it though, doing 4 angel rolls between each limb would look amazing but its a way off yet.

"Don't do it naked!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
So ive been playing with lots of parallel doubles recently and have now started to work out patterns for contact rolls (with one) and matching the number of beats with either a spin or pass of the hand with the other...... lots more to think about...... but tonight i got this:

going left to right, parallel spin (clockwise (to you) ) as they come up your left side start a multi beat angel roll with the left one, as it does the beat at the elbow the othe staff stays doing a beat on the left a like an isolation. the 2 other beats of the contacting stick (shoulder, shoulder) match the amount needed for the other stick to spin back to your right side.

From this point you can mirror this move with the rest of the angel roll and isolation, or i found that a jesus fits in there really nicely, for that the staffs passes from hand to hand in front of you as you turn.

was playing lots with this, managed to get parallel into jesus, stall with neck, flip it back the other way for another jesus out into butterfly doubles smile

i liked it ubbrollsmile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Had a lot of fun last night playing with a new (to me) concept, keeping hands in pockets. There is quite a lot that can be done just with shoulders, ive been trying to get ninja dave style neck spins for a while and its evolved into continuous neck wraps.
Also the if you stall at the neck you can change plane from neck wraps into luceros and sometimes if im lucky get a lucero to jesus.
Tried but failed so far to get horizontal shoulder wraps / propellors with hands in pockets. Its a sort of matrix motion but keeping your arms down so it wraps the shoulder and back onto the neck (like a substitution matrix would).

At the moment it looks kinda lazy and not that atractive but i think it will look sweet when i get the whole thing smooth smile

"Don't do it naked!"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
looking lazy doing cool things just looks even more cool wink

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Nice one sandy smile

Been playing with that myself - its one good thing that comes out of spinning in winter, keeping your hands warm in your pockets!

Since the cold season my jesus, luceros have come on loads, i find that changing plain is super easy with a neck stall.

Horizontal neck stalls are easier, but you should try vertical ones from a jesus, then rather than a plain change, a direction change instead... tiz always good for nailing things both ways smile like that doubles stuff i posted above.

One day - we will write a routine called "casual / cool / lazy staff" and it will kick ass wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I was doing that at play.. jesuses are pretty easy hands in pockets, I was thinking on sunday about how much you can do with your arms crossed, matrix is doable, jesuses, neck / back spins, origami I think it's possible to do a short set in a straight jacket if your good... how bout it strugz wink I can tie you up may excite the ladies ubblol

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
well, taking it down a notch... today I managed my first few front to back jesuses/jesi: hoping this is going to help me sort out continuous jesi

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Hhahahahahaha *delirious laughter*

I finally got it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mItHL9JNvtA

*ahem* Yes, it's quite ugly, but I've had the biggest 4 month fight with fishtails and this has been quite some epiphany.

Joe smile

P.S. Hoping to get to PLAY this year so I can actually find some more stick spinners. I'm the only one 'round here I know frown (Moving down to Guildford to go to ACM next year, though :P )
EDITED_BY: Joe_47 (1174313467)

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I've defected from Poi (thanks Neon, you git), so I might as well start chronicling my journey-o-staff here. So, i've had my staff for about 2 weeks and so far I've got: basic single staff spinning (propellers, turns, btb transfers etc, and a few basic contact moves (conveyor belt, sketchy Halo roll, basic neck wraps). biggrin

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
nice dude...... i see ambaessedor neon of the staffing coucil has turned you to the right side of the spinny force wink

Keep it up! biggrin

Last night i learnt, not a new move but a new combination....... that went something like:

2beat angel down left arm - to jesus, halo, stall........ change plane to half steve, up right then into antispun steve right to left.......was well nice and felt really slow too......

Kinda had to be considering i was in my room, surounded by breakable stuff ubblol

new stuff coming along - above the head horizontal conveyor........ i think, it came out of a matrix last night...... need to play more, damn its well sunny outside and im stuck in here frown

rolleyes

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I prefer to be referred to as an Avatar or an Emissary from the Underworld... devil

New-ish stuff - Staff-on-staff continuous pivot with a propellor thrown in for good measure.

Also playing around with stalls...

Amazing what you're more willing to try with wide open spaces and sun... biggrin cool

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm defecting back to juggling for a bit tongue oh and stilts.. time to learn stilt staff biggrin

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: strugz

new stuff coming along - above the head horizontal conveyor........ i think, it came out of a matrix last night...... need to play more, damn its well sunny outside and im stuck in here frown

I was doing something like that last night but trying to do it with my hands holding my head in a sort of "OH NO!" gesture.

I think after the horizontal elbow wrap it will be possible to roll the staff across the arms in a mini horizontal angel roll (hands together rolling over the top) to the other elbow then wrap back to a steve or min steve.

Being the unemployed hippie i am i got to spend most of yesterday enjoying the sun in our garden and working on stuff. Im starting to get Tims conveyor to foot stall kick back to conveyor, but its still fairly ropey. If it stays nice today i might go roll around on the grass for a while and see if anything new comes out.

"Don't do it naked!"

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Was outside playing at sunset last night...

Why can I do lots with my right hand, and bugger all with my left?

Anyways... learned how to do that roll thing around your hands, above your head, which may, or may not, be called a prayer. Not sure. Looks like it should be though.

smile

Getting to the other side smile

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Havent actually ventured to try this yet but... horizontal elbow pops?! A number of baton twirlers had it in their routine at the Rome competition, has anyone ventured to try this yet? Or am I the only one truly stupid enough to seriously consider attempting it?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
sweeeet!

sounds like a face basher but would look awesome - lends itself to turning under the staff really nice too id imagine - not to mention pops onto the back of the neck smile

you go girl biggrin ubbrollsmile

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
Got two converyor belt variations at Spitz, the one where both hands go together in the middle (like your praying) and elbow to other elbow one. Cheers to Durbs for those! smile

It's weird, I'm used to being really techy about poi, but I'm a complete noob in here! ubbrollsmile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
So... found a way to go into a horizontal elbow pop from an arm roll, but at most I can only do two in a row and that done badly... Funny Strugz that you mention going into pops onto the back of the neck, since right after I did the last post I went out and tried exactly that from vertical elbow pops. Hellavalot easier than trying em out horizontal at all... getting them horizontal and continuous without flinching'll probably take me a stupid amount of time.

Call me stupid I guess smile

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ahem...

Ok... I did a Steve... twice... for the first time with fire yesterday smile

(lol, this is the equivalent of people posting in the poi thread... 'I did the 3bt weave', isn't it?!)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

Ahem...

Ok... I did a Steve... twice... for the first time with fire yesterday smile

(lol, this is the equivalent of people posting in the poi thread... 'I did the 3bt weave', isn't it?!)

Not at all sweety, steve's take a while, more like a btb waist wrap i recon. Well done clap

"Don't do it naked!"

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ditto

the equivilant of that over here is.

" I did a pinwheel "

well done biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hurrah!

Thanks biggrin

I feel special biggrin

I only burnt my hand, arm and some hair trying it smile

xx
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1175715853)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
really? dear me. You can certainly burn more than that doing a steve. Try harder!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Page: ......