Forums > Other Toys > fire breathing and eating techniqes

Login/Join to Participate

pyro15newbie
13 posts

Posted:
hi i am new here and have recently started fire beathing and fire eating i have the basic fire breathing techniqes but it needs work but i have no idear on how to fire eat pleas help confused

Its Better To Burn out Than Fade Away

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Your probably better off finding a knowledgeable person to discuss and demonstrate technique to you, since performed incorrectly this discipline is very damaging upon the soft mouth lining, gums and tooth enamel, as well as the more obvious damage your risking to the soft facial tissues, trachea and respiratory system, as well as the rest of the hazards assoicated with these disciplines, (which I'm sure ((hope))you've fully read by now).

These are skills I teach, and to be honest they are not something that can safely taught via email etc, read extensively around the subject, then read wider, (there are well written materials covering these skills already available in various forums in this site) 'understand' what you're attempting to learn, then if you want to post specific questions then I'll answer them for you.

mark

pyro15newbie
13 posts

Posted:
alwrite thanks
1what is the best place to hold the fule in your mouth?
2 what bo you find the best distance to hold the fire tourche from your face i held it about a foot away.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Check out Mephisto, he has a great site for beginning fire eating techniques. I learned fire eating off his website, but I wouldn't consider that I was skilled at fire eating until I had proper instruction for it. His site is a great place to get started, but still you will need some in person instruction to master fire eating.

1. Best place to hold what. The fuel for fire breathing or best place to place the torch when eating?

2. Again, for what, the answer is different per each thing practiced. It sounds like you mean fire breathing, so I'll answer that. A foot away is fine in the beginning, in fact I would recommend it. But as you get more experienced(and you get comfortable with breathing), you can begin to pull it in closer. Once you're a bit more experienced it will really just be a matter of personal preference and experience. Here's the thing. You only need the torch in the way to initially light off of. It looks so much better(and is safer IMO) when you get the torch out the way as soon as you light the fuel you're aspirating.

There's really no need to repeat all of the warnings, but if you're going to continue firebreathing I will give you the same advice given to me by a burn unit technician.
Before you breathe, you need to be worried about your mucous membranes, there is one specifically I believe it is the epiglotis(the flap that opens and closes the passage to your lungs when you eat). This(and in some small way your lungs) can be protected by an expectorant(robitussin contains expectorant, for example). You can also protect your stomach to _some_ degree by using pepto bismol. If you ingest too much lamp oil, common advice given is to eat starchy foods such a bread to soak up the oil. Also activated charcoal tablets are excellent for this too. One more thing about your mucous membranes(especially your mouth). Your mouth is like a huge sponge, anytime you're breathing you're absorbing a small amount of the fuel through your mouth. Given this, it stands as common sense not to hold the fuel in your mouth for too long, but I'll repeat it again, especially if you want to try to fire breathe while spinning poi. People have been sent straight to the hospital(do not pass go) for this, be extremely careful of this. Make some sort of harness to hold the fuel with some sort of tubing(make sure it's resistant to the fuel, hopefully lamp oil, that you're using) or something instead.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

pyro15newbie
13 posts

Posted:
thanks for that