Forums > Other Toys > Club juggling and bruised hands :(

Login/Join to Participate

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

A quick newbie question regarding the art of club juggling.

I was given some 'proper' juggling clubs for xmas and I've been doing a fair bit of practice with them and I don't think it'll be long before I've got the hang of it.

Just one problem though : THEY BLOODY HURT

My hands get bruised after 15 minutes or so of practice, particularly at the base of the index finger. Is this normal for clubs?? Maybe there's some better ones out there to use.

I thought about wearing cloves but that seems a bit over the top. How about covering the grips with something? Any ideas?

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
the handles should be covered and therefore not hurt THAT much. What kind of clubs are they - if they're and all in one job made out of plastic, then, yeah i'm afraid they hurt.

As for wearing gloves they will lessen your feel. You could put some tape or other thing round the bit you catch, it's up to you.

If you can't juggle clubs already, try learning two balls and one clubs until u get the hang of it. then try 2 clubs one ball before getting onto 3 clubs. This should help u get your catches right and lessen the chances of you hurting your hands.

try juggling lots of thin rings for maximum pain!!

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Thanks hexagonic - yeah, they are the all in one plastic ones. They seem to be covered in some kind of tape wound round them.

I'll see if there's something extra I can cover the grips with... maybe that handlebar grip you used to be able to get for racing bikes.

It might just take some of the sting out of it smile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Careful not to add too much to the handels or you'll throw the weight off. Aside from getting better clubs, your hands will eventually toughen up and they won't hurt. biggrin

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
True, I guess the weight is balanced so they turn correctly.

What other options are there clubwise? Are there better ones about with more padded handles?

Maybe I just need to stop whining and get on with it wink

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
There are many options. I have Renegade juggling clubs www.renegadejuggling.com They have nice handels. Where do you live? if your in europe shipping may be a factor and I don't know what brands are sold there maybee Henrys.

Better clubs are also much more expensive. You may want to suffer for now untill your sure you'll be juggling in the future.

Cody Canon

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
how about putting a tennis racket tape on the handles, and only get a thin tape so you dont over weight them!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
A tip I was given by a really good club juggler was get some Tubifoam by Scholl (its the foam tubes foot care people used on bunions and a like. You can get it at the chemist in the plasters and bandages section) I weighs next to nothing and you just slip it over the handles inside out, with the foam against the plastic so that it doesn't slip about. It just gives you that extra padded feel. It may be worth a try before you move up to more expensive clubs.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

If you've got the cheap one piece hard plastic clubs then they are going to hurt; especially if you're a beginner with club juggling (even with decent clubs you're going to get some pain when learning).

Better clubs are known as 'two-piece clubs' and have softer handles- generally they start at about £10/club and go up to £20/25 for Henry's.

Luckily there's another alternative, making your own out of newspaper and tape.

Don't laugh, they work well, they're much, much better to learn with than hard one-piece clubs that will batter your hands so much that you'll give up.

The actual handles of newspaper clubs are lovely and soft, in fact they compare very favourably with many clubs costing £20 each.

And, if you're going to buy decent two-piece clubs, you'll be in a much better position to buy the right set if you've learnt to juggle well with newspaper clubs.

here's a link: -

https://home.hvc.rr.com/humdinger/newspaperclubs/

You can vary the design, the main things are to get the length of the clubs right (measure them against proper clubs) and ensure that you use the same number of sheets of newspaper in each club (ensuring consistent weighting).

Many years ago I learnt to juggle with rolled up newspaper with a sock on the end; not ideal as I got the lengths too short, but it worked; if you put in a bit of effort to make some nice ones they'll be far better than hard, cheap, one-piece clubs.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Sorry Dave and guys, but I don’t buy this one:

“If you've got the cheap one piece hard plastic clubs then they are going to hurt”

IMHO, it’s similar to catching a cricket ball. If you keep your hands stiff when catching the ball, then the ball will hurt like hell and bounce out of your hands. If you yield a bit, then you will catch the ball with little pain. My advice would be to yield a bit, and develop soft hands.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Practice throwing and catching one club until it doesn't hurt so much. Your hand isn't meant to be stiff when catching the club - it's meant to move down and absorb the force. Don't use your wrist to throw and catch - move your forearm. Theoretically you should be able to juggle with your hand locked in position with a solid grip (like a skater's wrist support). This'll reduce RSI damage to your wrist.

Alternatively a solution is juggling cuddly toys. At the Aquarium today I was juggling cuddly dolphins and sharks. No pain at all! Just odd looks wink

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link and tips about the paper clubs Dave, I know someone who'll be very interested in those!! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: Stone

Sorry Dave and guys, but I don’t buy this one:

“If you've got the cheap one piece hard plastic clubs then they are going to hurt”

smile

That's OK Stone, cos I'm not selling it smile

It's just a fact; cheap, hard plastic,one-piece clubs are notoriously harsh to juggle with.

Over the years I've spent hundreds of hours juggling clubs, passing clubs, juggling fire clubs etc; I can catch clubs pretty softly and 'yield'; nevertheless, using cheap one-pieces would be a last resort and, for beginners, it's worse.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I certainly agreed that good equipment helps, but in defense of the hard, one-piece clubs. They are cheap, and generally have a ball on the end of the club, which makes them ideal for learning club swinging biggrin

There is also a method of making clubs out of plastic coke bottles.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Dunno Dave, the plastic clubs we get are made locally, and aren’t that bad. They are also virtually unbreakable.

Anyhow, as I said you can’t go past buying good equipment. So what do you recommend then for someone considering getting some juggling clubs?

Some of the jugglers I know use albatross clubs, but I think they are a bit floaty. The ones in the HOP shop look like good value for money.

cheers

PS: The worst clubs to juggle would have to be the plastic electro glow clubs, but that’s ok as they are great to swing.

PPS: Dave, I know what you are saying though. I started to learn juggling with hackeys and progress was laboured and slow. Then I took the leap, and brought some proper (130g?) balls, and things improved dramatically.

Slow day wink

EDITED_BY: Stone (1105329525)

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
The newspaper clubs are great. I would have posted about them but I didn't have a link to the directions. Again with the soda bottle clubs, great but I don't have a link and I'm not about to write step by step instructions in a post.

Another idea is add tape to the head to balance any added weight to the handel.

As far as the suck it up angle goes, I taught myself with wire brushes, talk about pain but that's all that I had. biggrin

Cody Canon

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Those newspaper clubs look cool and cheap. I have a set of lovely clubs my friend bought me but i havent learnt how to juggle them yet. Think i might make some of the newspaper ones, then it wont hurt as much when i drop them on the cats biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i didn't like the idea about newspaper but i am going to give it a try. if its crap then who cares there only newspaper!

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
Just catching up with this thread again.

I had great success avoiding the bruises simply by wrapping layers of toilet paper around the handles. Skull, I'll give your bandage Idea a shot too.

Thanks for all the advice, people.

I totally appreciate it and yes... I'll give those newspaper ones a try, because (as well as being pain free and cheap as chip-newspapers) they are also less likely to break my plates, glasses, telly, mirror, stereo, lava lamp etc etc.

Incidentally.. I think my hands must be toughening/softening up.. it's much much less painful than it was a few weeks ago. As Dom advised, I think you develop a bodily instinct for how to do these things in time. It's a good thing too.. because now my staff has snapped into two, I'm gonna be spending a LOT of time with the clubs

Thanks again