Page: ......
majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
I love my hoops as much as I love poi and staff and I noticed there was a few other hooping hoppers out there. So I thought HOP needed a hooping thread for us to chat about tricks and share our love for hoops. ubblove
I have been hooping for quite awhile now and have mastered quite a few tricks but I still havn't figured how to flick it up off the ground and move it up my legs. I can get it from my knees up but I saw this chic at the a circus and she had the hoops all on the ground and was bringing them up her legs one by one. It looked awesome.
I've got an idea of what I gotta do but havn't quite got it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on this?
Thanks
ubblovemajik
Happy Hooping! ubbrollsmile

Live, love, laugh and dance!

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone,

I was given a nice glow hoop that is too big for me, so I've decided to give it to someone else.

It's a green LED hoop from Superhooper, around 36 inches, brand new, i've only used it once to try it (indoors). So I'm giving it away for £65.

For more info, check out https://www.superhooper.org/orderledhoop.html
or write me on stregai@libero.it

Happy hooping,

S*

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I've mastered getting it up my arms and round my neck!! bounce2

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
yay! Way to go my little wiggling buddy! kiss

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
thank you!! it's all about MOMENTUM!! YAY! bounce

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
For those of you who don't have telly/missed/won't watch such dreadful populist nonsense, here's a clip from "Britain's got talent":

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Those hoop people on Britains got talent are Hoop La La... from The Circus Space smile

Craig Reed, Tiina Tuomisto and Jessica Rose

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the link Nigel hug my mum told me about this and I was gutted I missed it!! biggrin

Love the outfits and thought it was fantastic!! ubblol

Glad the others disagreed with Simon!!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
that was several different flavours of awesome...!!

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
GothFrogette,
Sorry i have not made with the video action yet i totaly forgot when i posted say that, i would be having foot sugury the next week. So unfortunatly kickups some thing that i really can't do at the moment. But i am getting my stiches out soon so it won't be long. Yay!!!

In the mean time here is a video i found on a different kind of kick up that is also kinda cool and does not really involve the knees very much. Hope this helps smile

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Eeep i did not really mean to embed that ooops !!

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Have recently learnt lots of new hoopy tricks!!

After reading Skullys and Jons advice on the hyperloop board and combining the two together I can manage to get the hoop up to chest height with ease now biggrin Also stick me arms in and out and try and look graceful trsnfering to neck.

Only problem I'm having with chest hooping is the plane its going in. Instead of spinning all nice in the ceiling/floor plane my lady lumps seem to push the front up!!
Have tried to combat this by leaning forward as moving the hoop up which works but that feels uncomfortable and puts extra strain on my wiggle frown

Also learnt how to 'duck in' from spinning the hoop aroumnd the back of me which is pretty sweet biggrin

My ribs and boobs are so bruised frown ubblol

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
You need to remember to curve your back out when the hoop comes around the back to push the hoop so that it stays more level. so it's like a push out with the chest and then concave the chest back in so the back is rounded.

Now you can get your arms in and out try ducking your head out to leave the hoop going around one arm...

Hoop up to your chest and then drop one arm down so that the hoop is going around one armpit and the neck on the other side. as the hoop rolls across the front of your neck and onto the armpit drop your head down under the hoop in one fast smooth motion and allow the hoop to just be turning around your arm. To pop your head back up just wait for the hoop to be above your body again and put your head back into the hole.
EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1210863550)

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
I've now managed to get it fairly smooth where I move the hoop from my hips, up past my waist, chest, onto my neck, and then back down again.

I really want to be able to do the same thing starting from my knees, but hooping consistantly at my knees is still eluding me.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Use one knee as the power knee and the other as the leveller. The power knee is usually the knee that the hoop hits second as it comes around the front so for clockwise hooping it's the right and for anti clockwise hooping it's the left. Use this knee to push with. The other leg can help to keep the hoop horizontal... it's hard to put into words how to do that but it's kind of a gallop motion with the leg, but not quite... hmmm maybe I should make a video to explain it a bit better and show you rather than describing it.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Skulduggery

The power knee is usually the knee that the hoop hits second as it comes around the front so for clockwise hooping it's the right and for anti clockwise hooping it's the left. Use this knee to push with.

Ah..oh...
I've been powering with the other leg. Maybe that's why I'm getting nowhere with trying to get it back up to my waist...

Cheers Skully!

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yup that tip defenatly will help I know when i started working that trick i was totaly using the wrong leg.

Also once you can get it to move up with your left leg you can start to use both legs, this makes it easyer to keep the hoop spinning smoothly and flat which really helps if you want to start doing multipul hoops someday.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PinkNigel

I've been powering with the other leg. Maybe that's why I'm getting nowhere with trying to get it back up to my waist...

Yeah I've been doing the same thing rolleyes
Thanks for the tip skully.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
That picture is excellent!

Also, I don't think I've had my obligatory YAY I GOT IT UP! post.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Do we have any Hoopers in Scotland either in Edinburgh or Glasgow area? I have a friend on tribe trying to find someone to hoop with.

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I don't like it when most people hoop. You need to be able to dance with it very well and most people can't.

@ skul- Is your name based on that program wrestling exposed?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Nope, my name comes from the fact that I'm the chocoholic Pirate Faery. I don't even know what program wrestling exposed is.

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
It was a really crappy show that "exposed" the secrets of pro wrestling. One of the guys in it went under the name skullduggery

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol Skully I reckon you'd make a good pro wrestler!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Anyway, back to the topic of finding someone in the Edinburgh/ Glasgow area that hoops. Anyone out there?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
The problem I have with hooping and dancing is I love dancing and you have to dance TO the music... where hoops spin at a particular frequency. So I have to decide whether I spin to the music, or I do awesome tricks, trying to ignore the music.

It's hard because with poi I can always adapt to the tempo... Hoop it's much harder to do this...

Do other people find this problem?

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
choose your music carfuly for one and do not worry about getting hte hoop around in time with the beat, if you are finding it is taking you longer to get used to it, incorprate arm movements and travel while hooping. off the body hoop moves work well and are great for giving you a break through a routine.

i am more of a dancer than a techy, and find more enjoyment out of spinning and hgooping this way.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
 Written by :deadkenndys1105

I don't like it when most people hoop. You need to be able to dance with it very well and most people can't.

The same can be said of "most people" who spin or practice any kind of prop manipulation. A lot of focus is on moves with the prop and not dance so much. Of course a lot depends on what you consider "dance" and "very well." ubblol

Although I contend that moving with the prop is itself a form of dance.

Having started with poi and then switched to hoop, I do think that it's harder learning to move with a hoop on you (not off) than it is learning to move with poi. Just learning to walk while hooping on your waist is a bit more of a challenge than walking while doing the 3-beat weave, for example. It just takes time though.

Written by :natasqi

The problem I have with hooping and dancing is I love dancing and you have to dance TO the music... where hoops spin at a particular frequency. So I have to decide whether I spin to the music, or I do awesome tricks, trying to ignore the music.

It really doesn't have to be either/or. Of course some of it depends on the size of hoop you're using (the larger the hoop the slower it will go 'round, whereas smaller = faster) and what kind of music you're hooping to.

I personally like mixing up the soundtrack when I hoop -- everything from slow piano-based ballads to psytrance to hip-hop and even country sometimes. Mixing it up like that really helps you figure out how to adjust your hooping to the music -- moreso than if you hooped to the same kind of music all the time.

Also, GothFrogette makes a good point re: off-body moves. I have found that breaks & reversals are a good mode of on-body hooping that you can use to match rhythm.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by :deadkenndys1105

Nice thing to say in a hooping thread, thanks.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
sending hoopy hugs to all hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Page: ......