ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
is it worth the hassle for the novelty?

https://www.3dstate.com/3D_websites/LOUVRE/defaultHi.htm

hyperthetically speaking im thinking of co doing a staff site with every move ive learnt over my travels with videos of each and tips on how to do em. so if such a site was to be done would doing it all 3d like be a good thing a bad thing etc etc

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
It would be cool if you could do it well, but it would be very hard. Are you thinking of using motion capture?

i reckon a nicely put together site with good quality video would be just as good for teaching purposes, and also be quicker and easier to make.

But if you have a clear vision of a 3d site that kicks ass, then it'll probably kick ass when you've made it. smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
I think it sucks. The site you link to won't open with medium security settings in IE (the default for most PCs) and people would be reluctant to allow potentially nasty ActiveX apps just to view your site (like i am at the moment on my work laptop).

3D has been around for a long time on the net and has failed time and time again (VRML has been around as long as I can remember, I don't think MS even support it anymore). As simian says you'd have to pull it off in a way i've never seen before, otherwise you could just end up alienating potential visitors.