Forums > Other Toys > Chinse monkeyfist meteor............ Do anybody use them?? If so how??

Login/Join to Participate

JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
i really want to know how to use them. help help

the time has come to talk of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
By which he means these.

:o)

3 posts? Thats newbie enough not to get shouted at.

Try clicking [Old link] and trawling through the search results.

wink

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Yeah I use them. They are quite hard in both the skill and physical sense.
I've been practicing with them for about 2 months and i'm really getting much better now. The first few weeks are really quite frustrating, and after that it's just mildly frustrating.
I've bought both shin guards and a groin protector. Trust me you need it. I've only saved myself about 5 times with the groin protector, but that's 4 dollars well spent. The shin guards allow me to alleviate shins full of bruises, meaning I can actually wear shorts without people thinking i'm suffering child abuse or i'm a haemopheliac.
The poi stuff with the meteor is relatively easy but that's not the trick with meteor spinning. The staff'ish stuff with the meteor is a hard skill to learn.
It's really not possible to give advice over the internet. I will endeavour to make a video of what I currently know (just really the basics) and post it on my member gallery. For now my only advice is to concentrate on controlling and leading with one end of the meteor, the back end basically just follows. When passing and turning, back sure your controlling the leading end. I've yet to find a way to control the following side, if I grab it the circle collapses.

Geez, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yes.

basic techique:

Flail & Duck.

Advanced technique:

Put on fire, Flail & Duck

theres other stuff, but untill youve done a month of flailing and ducking there aint much point going into it.

the old site had a sh*t hot metior thread, but its gone now frown

oh and shorten yopur metiors, probibly.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
The only problem with shortening the meteor is that it's harder to do the poi based moves involving spinning with the heads of the meteor on each side of the body. (6 foot meteor has roughly 3 foot of rope length to hold, 1.5 foot to spin on both sides.) Same side spinning is easy (eg weaves) Maybe it's just my preference.
It is a meteor though, and not poi, so feel free to shorten.

JeunauBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
thanks for your posts. my meteors are about 6 foot long and strch when using to about a foot wich i quite frighting. ive hit myself many a time in the groin with my meteor. t5haks

the time has come to talk of many things of shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

he said groin ubblol

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
Yes, yes it's always funny when someone else gets hit. wink

BrassMonkeymember
71 posts

Posted:
Just a small, maybe pointless note, because I love talking about meteor.

There is one move, or group of moves, that poses the greatest threat to your groin, and your future generations : The one-handed butterfly.

The best advice when doing this is to stand side-on, until you´ve got it solid. Actually, the one-handed butterfly is risky with monkey-fist meteor because if you do it with nice planes, then the fists will definitely bash into each other, or tangle around each other and fly directly downwards towards your groin. But with a butterfly, no-one will notice if your planes are a bit dodgy, unless they´re looking side-on.

I never wore groin protection, and after about 6 months of meteoring I got a kind of 6th sense for when the meteor was about to collide with that most painful of places. Still, there are many things I wouldn

Time's fun when you're having flies

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the most important skill is realising when you've lost control and either throwing it away or finding out how to kill it safely.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
hahahaha...thats how i got my concussion from my beamers...i was using them at the end of my chain (i do meteor)...by the way... a good length for a meteor is the span of ones arms from fingertip to finger tip..+ or - a few inches..
EDITED_BY: darkpoet (1102954380)

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
erm, I totally disagree..I don't think there is really a 'proper' length for meteors, truth be told. It all depends on what you want to do with it. I know someone who uses ~16ft meteors, involves alot of horizontal work and rope dart style throws/wraps. That's a really short length you're describing dere, doesnt give you much play for most moves. I'm sure it works for you tho wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
basically just find what feels right for you...i like mine short...

and musashii...
16ft is F$**@N insane!.....

prizes

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
When they're too long, you cant pass it behind the back or do between the leg variations without hitting the ground. I like a comprimise in length, long enough to enable poi type moves, and short enough to not hit the ground on moves as described above.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
I've found about a foot or foot anna half over my height works for me, I use the same kind of measure for length as you Ataxia, meaning normally I find the right length by the moves I want to do wink

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I don't generally do the poi based moves with the meteor, it's really not the fun part of meteor. However, it's great to have the option.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I've posted some beginner meteor vids on my member gallery:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7009
There's not a huge range of tricks, but I hope it helps anyone.

mr_guy99493member
23 posts

Posted:
Im going to build some meteor sometime soon.

I figure some monkeyfist knots will do.
7' has been suggested as a good length for the meteor, but i was wondering how heavy the rope, and each end of the meteor should be.
Uhm, no need for exact weights, but should i have heavy rope, heavy ends, or light rope with heavy ends. Bout how heavy should each bit be??

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
bout a kilo each works for strength training and for rigid moves....the more weight on the ends..the more rigid the rope while spinning

prizes

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

If you're using climbing rope then knotting monkey fists with 3 wraps (bights) will generally give a good weight.

Remember that monkey fists use a lot of rope; to make my last set of rope meteors I needed a rope 3 spans (outstretched finger tips to finger tips) long- a span for the length of the final meteor plus a span for each of the knots.

The ends need to be heavy relative to the weight of the rope/cord.

So, for example, I also made a nice set of meteors with lightweight chain for which unweighted tennis balls made really good ends.

Another factor is length- the longer your meteors are, the more weight you'll need on the ends.

A nice thing about using climbing rope is that you can err on the long side, then use simple overhand knots to shorten it and experiement with the length.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
what the best rope to use to make your own?

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

BrainchileBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists are awesome!

I made both of mine with old retired climbing ropes. At about 5'7" I use one that's close to 8 feet and another that's about 6 . . .

I think the best moves are often the ones that utilise the full length and don't have all the crazy flailing going on. I like to use one end and do wraps instead of having two even length sides. Check out wushu movies sites for monkey fist demos. I'm a big fan of things like neck wraps (which are ridiculously easy to learn once you decide it's ok for you to wrap a rope around your neck).

Also does anyone know what the kevlar fire rope is like to spin? I've only used my nylon ones (obviously no good for fire) and I was thinking of making a set of fire monkeyfists from the 10mm kevlar rope.

ataxiaSILVER Member
172 posts

Posted:
I'm just in the process of getting the guys at HOP to make me up a set of fire meteors. You cant really make the whole thing out of kevlar because the fire will burn the area of kevlar with no fuel. Eg if you dip just the wicks then just near the wick it will break. If you dip further along it will burn further in.
It won't happen straight away but it will happen. (Isn't that a pantene add?)
I'm toying with the idea of nylon inner rope, chains of about 10-20cms then a normal poi style monkey fist wick. (both ends of course)
I think the style of meteor your describing is like rope dart although isn't it called meteor hammer on those chinese weapons sites?
The best guys at rope dart seem to have a massive length of rope (8 foot or more) too long for the meteor i'm used to. But that's personal preference.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I've made a 6ft meteor with monkeyfists at each end- have been playing with it a bit from time to time when other toys get dull- its a really nice and different thing to experimnet with- the length is a revelation after playing with poi (and relatively short poi at that).

Still a n00b with it though smile