Page:
mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

and have found nothing on thsi topic, or nothing of help!

does anyone on here do this, any tips , im looking to buy maybe three bottles, and was wondingthe pros and cons of teh most commons bottles

does anyone have agood site to buy from?

any other info would be helpfulcheers ppl hug

Step (el-nombrie)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
oh dam sorry man, prob wont mean anything, tgi fridays is a restaurant/bar chain, stand for Thank god its friday, or something like that

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ahh, cool name, not much help tho

btw, i asked before where i could get prac bottles from in Australia, i know juggleart doesnt seel them so would i have to order them from the UK or US?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
you would prob have to order them from the UK, if nowhere ships to you then im happy to buy it and post it to you but its prob gonna come including postage to oz to around 30 english pounds, not sure how much that is in AUS Dollars

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
yes, the bars in oz are trying to kee flair out of the hands of jugglers, as once we get hold of one, we can go a little mental and get good fast...

go figure!

so yes, you would have to order from teh UK or USA, you could try
https://www.oddballs.co.uk/acatalog/Bartenders_Flair_Supplies.html

or

https://www.drinkstuff.com/products/product.asp?ID=75

or google it and then click froogle

or

just use this

https://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=flair+bottles&btnG=Search+Froogle&hl=en&show=dd

wink

Step (el-nombrie)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
whats froogle? rare..........

yeh, i heard about the bar peoples trying to keep flairing away from us aussie jugglers, but i'm not gunna let it work!

30 pounds is like, heaps! i think its about $50 australian dollars! i could by like 20 600ml cokes for that much!

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
30 notes is about 60 dollars, but i dont think you will find them cheeply in oz, they are the [censored] for practice, people say (inc. me, if you are broke get a galss bottle, gaffa tape hte whole thing, and it ownt explode when you drop and samsh it) but they are no replacmnet for a proper flair bottle......

Step (el-nombrie)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
if you decide you would like me to buy you a flair bottle and send you one i'll copy you 2 of my instructional dvd's too

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
it would stil cost about the same to buy it form you will, the money will not be cheeper, and it maight incur a tax as well?

Step (el-nombrie)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
oh i thought his problem was that these places didnt deliver to Australia

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
they dont deliver FREE instructional vids!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
lol, well i can send you 3 dvd's if you want, they'll just be in 3 plastic wallets, 2 are instructional dvds and one is the roadhouse grand final competition where the top 6 bartenders of the world go against each other for a £10,000 prize

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
A tip: do not flair above your laptop, i just cracked my screen frown

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
lol silly will ubbloco

that will teach you wink

hope it wont cost to much to fix frown

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
i wont bother fixing it i think, its just a small crack

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
lazy lazy man

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i might b doing a flair course in sydney later this month, hopefully they'll be selling practice stuff so i wont have to take up your offer pyrowill(nothing personal, just dont trust australia post). but i might yet ask, will see what the future holds

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
A flair course? cool, i know a few people who have been to those kind of things and so have a lot of professional flair bartenders and competitors so good luck with that Majestik!

In the meantime im very happy with myself, I remember watching a video about 8 months ago going wow! that is amazing stuff, just found it again and watched it and i can do every move and more in that video, I love seeing progress biggrin

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you show off!

Step (el-nombrie)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, altough the movie was titled "how to hold the bottle the right way up" wink ubbloco

i'm going to sydney in febuary, i've got some numbers and stuff so i hope it'll be running when i'm there

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I thought people interested in flairing would like to read this

How to Get Started in Flairing

Text taken from Flairco's 'Flairing with Bols Liqueurs'

Flair Bartending: Past
There have always been entertaining bartenders who worked with style, and the first true flair bartender was active 150 years ago: Jerry Thomas toured Europe and America with his bartending show, the highpoint of which was a fire show involving pouring whisky on fire between 2 solid silver lined goblets! Modern flair bartending grew up in the 1970's, when the new singles bars (designed to attractwomen as well as men) opened, often employing out of work actors, comedians and street performers as well as waiters and bartenders. Soon bottles, glasswear and fruit were being juggled and the guests loved it. Flair even made it onto the big screen with the 1988 film Cocktail.

Present
Nowadays, flair has advanced much further than Jerry Thomas could have ever dreamed of. Bars and restaurants that feature flair bartenders have grown to massive international chains and flair bartenders are some of the highest earning in the industry. The art of flair has also split into the fast, every day moves (called working flair) and the showy, high risk performance-orientated moves (called exhibition flair). For the truly dedicated there are hundreds of contests each year, featured on national and international TV programs, offering thousands of dollars in prize money.

The golden rules of flair are:
1. Never make a guest wait because you're flairing.
2. Train at home, perform at work. Don't do moves you're unsure of at work.
3. Never attempt risky moves if there are colleagues or guests nearby.
4. Never do flair involving fire.

Learning Flair
Make Time
Set a time and place where you can train. Training twice a week for one hour will produce better results, faster, than training for 3 hours once a week. You're also more likely to keep to the twice-a-week-for-an-hour schedule.

Make Space
Choose a space where bottles dropping on the floor won't break, and where the sound won't bother others, and where a mis-thrown bottle won't go through a TV screen or a window.

Train
Set goals for the session ("I will learn how to throw a bottle over my shoulder and land it on my hand"), and stop for a moment after every drop. Ananlyze why you dropped, and adjust your technique until you're not dropping any more. Choose a move and train until you can do it 10 times in a row perfectly.

Be Realistic
When you can do the move 10 times in a row, put a couple of shots (max 2oz/ 60ml)of water in the bottle and a pourspout, and train to do the move 10 times in a row without spilling. If you spill, analyze why you spilled and adjust your technique unitl you're not spilling anymore. try to apply the move to shakers, glasses, ice and garnish fruit, so your flair is more versatile.

Learning Working Flair
Working flair moves are moves that can be done very quickly, have little or no risk of dropping or spilling, require no special preparation or props. Working flair can be done with everything you use to make drinks, including full bottles.

Combinations
Start making combinations of moves into small routines. Remember: only do a routine in public if you are totally confident of all the moves in it, and make sure your transitions (from move to move) are smooth.

Be Humble
Don't become arrogant and cocky because you can pull off a few moves: make sure guests still get served quickly, and that you don't neglect guests so you can flair. Even the best flair bartenders drop and spill sometimes, just as the best performers sometimes miss their cue or forget their lines. Stay good humoured and humble about your flair and guests will appreciate it even more.

Be Ruthless
When you're training at home, make it deliberately hard on yourself. Make a training bar even smaller and more cramped than the one you have at work. Wet the bottles so they are slippery. Then when you perform at the bar your moves will be much more confident and smooth.

Good Luck and most of all, ENOY!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroWill

Make Space
Choose a space where bottles dropping on the floor won't break, and where the sound won't bother others, and where a mis-thrown bottle won't go through a TV screen or a window.

Yeah, Will!! wink

ubblol

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Well that partially right, it was a laptop screen wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubbloco and the sound wont bother others?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
As of today I have decided I'm going to start learning to flair...

As to when I actually START depends on when I can get myself a practise bottle! ubblol

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you dont ned a parctive bottle, a plasic bottle with some water in will help you start

just make usre its more like a bar bottle than a softdrinksbottle

ie a faltter bottom, not a dimpled one like a coke or sprite bottle

youcan start working iwt this, and see if you like it....

Step (el-nombrie)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
so basically, now I'm a uni student living away from home - as soon as I polish off the bottle of rum I have on my mantlepiece ubblol

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
no, dont start playingiwth glass

smashing glass is not a good thing!

Step (el-nombrie)

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
awww, but it makes such a pretty noise when it shatters tongue

What plastic bottle brands have flat bases? I can't think of any in australia like that. They're mostly the dimple bottomed ones.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
personally i get a glass bottle, put a cork in the top(no liquid) then wrap it in gaffa tape so when i do eventually drop and break it it implodes and i just pick it up and put it in the bin! i think plastic is wayyyy to light to learn anything with personally

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
as i said, fill the plastic bottl with water (i think i said it anyways) so that if gives it the weight

a bonus with doing this is that it will also bounce, which is some older tricks i worked ona while ago, better with rubber floor, else the bottle will smash very easily

i suggested plastic, due to if you ae learning from basics, you can drop quite a lot, and you will need to replace your bottle quite often, esp if you are learning thing like staffs, and flairs, where drops are constant...

Step (el-nombrie)

Page: