Page:
Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I was thinking about this tonight. I'm looking for another job, and I had heard somebody telling me that some people will use people's accents on whether they will be good for the job or not.

Here's a few questions and I'm curious what everybody's responses will be...

1) (USA) Is it a rumor or is it kinda true that if you try and apply for a job up north that if you have a southern accent you aren't as likely to get the job because people see how slow you talk and so presume you are stupid as well? i.e. Not educated enough?

2) (USA) Kinda the same only not as commonly heard...Northerners appear to be stuck up and too high maintanence to some southern employers?

((I'm just guessing it all goes both ways))

3) (all countries) Is there anything like that in yalls countries?

I guess I don't really notice this kind of stuff unless people talk about it who are from the opposite place I am.

I need to have my voice recorded in one of our vids and that way yall can see just how I talk. I have a country twang and I love my accent it makes me unique. TX and OK accents are similar, but some TX accents are worse just like some OKIE accents are too. Depends on what town/city you are from and which state it is in.

Anyways I was just curious ubbrollsmile

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Xopher (aka Mr. Clean)enthusiast
456 posts

Posted:
I'm glad for my level of skill with the English language, but I spent years having to learn to talk "folksy" so other people wouldn't mistakenly (! I swear!) think I was stuck up.

Your bf has a Chicago accent. It's a standard American "broadcast" dialect, which means that if he's an actor he doesn't have to unlearn too much. (BTW there's a class accent barrier, too: working-class Chicago is that very distinctive twang that drives people from anywhere else crazy.) Who told him he didn't have an accent?

Of course he sounds "northern" to a southerner, "southern" to a Canadian, "gringo" to a Mexican, and "American" to a European. Accent is a relative thing. Every place is west of somewhere (except the poles, but there's no "accentual monopole").

Puk - comes from the 70s, originally, when pimps (guys who live off the proceeds of prostitutes whom they keep enslaved by threats, fear, and manipulation) were famous for their ostentatious cars, clothes etc. Then 'to pimp [something] out' meant to decorate it elaborately, or increase its lavishness (or gaudiness, depending on the tone of voice used). Now 'pimp' is an adjective meaning 'looking right spiffing' or 'fancied up'.

A person who says "I look pimp" has just come from a mirror where s/he looked and said "Damn I'm fine!"

Accurate, Mistress Aurora?

"If you didn't like something the first time, the cud won't be any good either." --Elsie the Cow, Ruminations

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Written by:

"i look pimp " mean

Written by:

Puk - comes from the 70s, originally, when pimps (guys who live off the proceeds of prostitutes whom they keep enslaved by threats, fear, and manipulation) were famous for their ostentatious cars, clothes etc. Then 'to pimp [something] out' meant to decorate it elaborately, or increase its lavishness (or gaudiness, depending on the tone of voice used). Now 'pimp' is an adjective meaning 'looking right spiffing' or 'fancied up'.

A person who says "I look pimp" has just come from a mirror where s/he looked and said "Damn I'm fine!"

Accurate, Mistress Aurora?

Thank you Xopher! You were right on the $$$$ hug

Pimp in this context could also mean...Cool, hip, hot, sweet, etc.
Kinda like if you see a nice car going down the road..you say to your buddy "man that ride is pimp!" ubblol

Written by:

Who told him he didn't have an accent?

A girl from Oklahoma I believe. Don't know why she said that. Unless she was looking for stereotypical accents that are portrayed alot on tv with people from big cities.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
only people that haven't met puk use the ubblove graemlin...

biggrin

Meh

Page: