UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sometimes, after working in dusty places (Konsti's room for example tongiht), and sometimes for no apparent reason, my nose will just start to run.

Well, not so much as run, but more start to gush really liquidy snot. Its really annoying me now..

usually i either jam a tissue up both nostrils and walk around looking like.. well... umm... someone wiht a tissue jammed up both nostrils.

other times I will return to my 12 year old state and wipe my nose on my sleave leaving it looking like i left it in a cabbage patch and slugs slimed all over it.

and other is will sit there blowing my nose...

the last two options leave me with a very red and sore nose.

So I am asking if this happens to any of you lot...and what you do when it happens.

Any ideas?

and cutting off my nose is not an idea...or an option.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the land of environmental allergies! I have these a-plenty.

My boyfriend told me that he still loves me even when I have the 2 tissues jammed up my nostrils!

Solution One: don't go in Knosti's room ever again, or make sure he vacuums at least once a year.

Solution Two:
I recommend using an antihistamine (as a last resort), aloe vera tissues, and lanolin for the sore chapped nose.

Lay down with head back and visualise it stopping. If that fails, have the antihistamine. Avoid using nasal sprays - they aren't very good for your membrane and your body can get quite addicted to them...

Am really busy right now, but will come back later to add more

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I would love you too flash even if you had 3 tissues jammed up your nostrils!...besides... you could set fire to them and create a new element of dnager to your fire spinning.

Im not alergic to anything. at all...im really lucky.

Konsti wont ever hoover his room.
Thats becuse it is no longer his room... we were in there sorting all the stuff out.

and three.. lying back is the only thing that seems to work.

and four..I cant afford any fancy aloe vera stuff....will mud work instead?
We have plenty of that outside.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Not sure about the mud but you should give it a go!

I highly recommend that you cover yourself in it, take several photos and load them here (along with DFQs boobs) and see how you go....

PS - you do have allergies - that's why your nose is dripping, silly! I didn't develop an allergy to dust until I was about 19.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
hhhmmm...an alergy to dust..

thats a great way to get out of doing the housework!

*contemplates a joke about loading DFQ's Boobs*

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
what about constructing a stilsuit to collect your mucous and send it to the musous-poor regions of the world?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
o yeah - if you don't have any lanolin, try lip balm or something.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
my mum suggest valoline under my nose to attarct the dust onto...

cos then the dust would stick to the vaseline and not penetrate my smelling device.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
you should try surfing... even after having been out the water for hours you can be chatting to some chick in a bar and half the atlantic gushes out your nostrils in front of her. it's very attractive + especially nice when you're eating dinner... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I used to get that - some days would be hell, others would be fine...

The best cure I found was to get on my bike and go for a really hard cycle - clears the airways and all that.

Then one day I just stopped getting them... Very odd.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
maybe its like hayfever or something? the tissue option sounds like the best one to me personally. plus it sounds like you'd look really funny, and laughter is the best cure for colds? hmm....or did i make that up...

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Well..I just went out on a bike ride to buy draw for the house (not for me obviously) and I came back..and my nose is dribbling again...

frown

OH WOE IS ME!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
I just sniff.... feels gross, but seems to dry out your nose a bit, then anything that doesn't get sniffed, mop up. with a hankerchief! a proper washable one, not a tissue, they is good for fragile noses.

'tis a pain in the butt though, my nose always runs in cold weather.... probably is just a reaction to stop an irritation or something.

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Jon I hate to brake it to you bud, but you do have some kind of alergy. Like Flash I didn't develope alergies until later, I think I was around 16. All of a sudden I was alergic to house dust, tree polin, smoke and raw tomatoes. Symptoms include the sniffles to rashes. It didn't stop me from doing what needed to get done, still had to do house work frown

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I must be allergic to the house then..

frown

but it hasnt happened for afew months now....

and nothing has changed in the house...

perhaps I am allergic to my housemates?

but it cant be that as it only happens occasionally...

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
About 10 years ago my nose got broken in a bar room brawl. You should have seen the other guy, it was impressive! Hardly a scratch on him.

Anyway, ever since my nose has been shot and things like dust and changes in temperature set it off as well. And sometimes I just don't know why. This is why if you ever need a tissue I'll have a spare handy.

When it happens try to get fresh, cool air (unless you've got hayfever and it's summer). And I'm afraid that you have to keep your house extra clean!

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
*walkings in and sniffs*

luv i so no your problem. my nose has a mind of its own. some times itll be fine sometimes it goes nutts. even worsa when i have a cold. i find that alot of the time if i start doing something really active it will start up, but sometimes after a while if i keep at it it will clear up. the Aloe vera tissues are the best thing iv found to stop it form getting red and sor like im sorry, but hay send me your addy and ill send ya some! all the way from here! hehe. iv got the flu real bad at the mo and ma nose is cronic, at one stage the tissues up the nostrils was the best thing for me! everyone in the house had something to say about it but i was happy. id do it at work if i didnt think theyd have something to say about that! customers would look at me like i was nutts... or is that cos im acting nuttie...? i cant be sure

*wonders off to ponder the matter*

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I suffer hayfever and sinusitis every day or every season....even the antihistamines are starting to not work.

Definintely go for the aloe vera tissues if you don't want to end up with your nose being ripped to sheds by the normal tissues...it can be quiet painful after a while.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
After suffering from the sneezes, itchy eyes and runny nose for so long (and having tried nearly everything but the cortisone injections) i have found clinging to the end of my tether for trying to get rid of my hayfever and acute sinusitis or at least getting some form of relief from it.

Since spring has started here in Australia it has been even worse over the past three weeks with me barely being able to drag my sad sorry arse out of bed to get in to work.

I had tried all the antihistamines for about the fifth time and in pure desperation went and spoke to this lady pharmists who suggested this spray which is placed under the tongue.

It was a natural remedy and I am usually pretty sceptical about such things because I have tried nearly all of them before without any relief.

But being in this desperate state of mind I bought this spray last night and started using it.

This morning I can honestly say, though I still have no sense of smell, I have only used five tissues instead of my usual hundred or so (and no that is not an exageration).

So for those of you who suffer like me with hayfever or sinusitis try:

Brauer Natural Medicine - Hay fever relief

It tastes a bit gross but it is so worth the results.

I am so much perkier today than I have been in a VERY long time.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
YAY for Medusa.

Gotta love the homeopathic stuff. How long did it take to effect? Like, if I have sinusitis now, can I have the spray and be okay within half an hour? Or is it more a long term thing?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Well I had a slight touch of sinus last night before I went to bed...the instructions say to spray it in your mouth (four sprays under the tongue) every half an hour for two hours then every four hours after.

Last night I took two lots of sprays within the one hour and I felt fine.

This morning when my hayfever was more acute I took the four sprays within the two hours and it weakened the affects of the hayfever/sinusitis after the first spray.

After each dose I felt better till now I have no hayfever at all for today!

It might depend on the individual but I think if it can help me then it must be damn good.

So it is pretty quick working!

meghannenthusiast
302 posts

Posted:
ah i feel all of your pain! im allergic to.... my pets, dust, n e fin with fur, strong smells, sever temp changes, when i brush my hair my nose runs to that 1s daily! and every thing else ever!! ive found laying back makes it worse blowing it makes it tickle more and makes it worse!! mope what can i do, i just sit and sniff and that just sounds rank!
all that works are sprays and tablets and they rnt working well n e more im too used to em! HELP!

ive learned
life is tough... but im tougher

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
In the U.S. we have a drug marketed as "AFRIN." It's a nose spray that stops nasal congestion and runniness in seconds and lasts 12 hours. You can only use it for three days (because you can actually become dependent on it to keep your nose from stuffing up if you use it for too loong). But for quick relief of occasional symptoms, it's a life-saver. The generic name of the drug is "oxymetazoline hydrochloride." It's available over-the-counter and good and cheap.

The problem with homeopathy in this situation is that you don't know what the aggravating factor is, so devising a treatment is difficult. All you know is that it's "some sort of dust."

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I know my allergies well so I have no problem with trying homeopathic remedies.

Trying to avoid my allergen here in Australia is impossible all year round as I am allergic to Eucalyptus...and the damn things are everywhere over here.

I also have a fistula in my mouth which makes taking nasal sprays impossible (although I've tried numerous ones!)

It's been four and a bit days on this antihistamine and natural spray and I am still going well.

I just had the best weekend without my nose permanentely stuck in a tissue box!