Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > PLAY Festival - August 19th -> 21st *TICKETS ONSALE NOW*

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello people!! wavehello

=================================

Post Festival Update

Dunc would really, really like all your feedback on the Play Festival on the PLAY web site. So post on the forum there or use the Contact Us form to give as much feedback as you can.

Dom

info update

Cost - £15

Dates - 19th - 21st August 2005

Location - Shrewsbury Agricultural Showground, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

UPDATE 23rd July 2005

Tickets now on sale, go to the website or book via telephone on 07814 018 091

Update - 5th Jan 2005

The site is now up and running at https://www.playfestival.co.uk
there is a forum included so everyone can contribute to the ideas, concepts and development of the festival as a whole. It wouldn't survive without "everyones" involvement so feel free to log on, register and let us know what you'd like from us while you're there.

And to think non of this would have started if I hadn't gotten into HoP and realised how wonderful this scene is, thank you HoP even if you did remove the link from my sig without telling me why, or even telling me rolleyes hug

Update 31st January 2005

Tickets can now be Pre-booked, up to five adult and five free childrens (u14's) can be booked, once they are released for sale you will be given a set time period to buy them before they will be offered to the public. We're still unsure what the time period will be but it will be a reasonable amount of time, such as 6 weeks, from them being released before they will be put back into the ticket pool. Everyone will be advised by email and in various public announcements of the release date well before they're out.

=====================================================

I have been thinking for a while about organising an Object Manipulation (couldn't think how else to describe it!!) Convention sometime next year, and thought this would be the best place to get the ball rolling! (pun pun)

My idea is this......a mini festival for spinners/jugglers etc that's small and laid back enough to enjoy but big and organised enough to get the most out of. Maybe a band/dj or two in a tent, a fire show each night, weekend camping and most importantly lots of workshops, idea exchanges and fun for all the family. Easy going and fun are the objectives.

It wouldn't be poi based, it would be for all object manipulators from hat juggling to ribbon dancing and everything in between and to the sides so no pigeon holing or amimosity between arts will occur.

So what I'd like to know is if I organised, laid out capital etc for a proper weekend festival (Fri -> Sun) would I get enough interest and of course people attending? I obviously can't afford it by myself but if I put up the cash the more people I expect to come the cheaper I could cost it out per person.

I'd like to hope it'd cost no more that £25 each, but obviously the more people we expect to come the cheaper we can make it, I'd much rather it was a tenner than £25! (please note attendance would be a capped limit for safety and comforts sake)

All I'd be looking for is to break even or turn a small profit so it can be piled back into the next one making it even better and also cheaper.

As they say on poipoipoi's website......"it's not capitalism.......it's spherculism"

It would be in a decent sized feild with a remote location so there would be no townie trouble but close enough for easy access from major routes.

I figure if it's in the midlands area it's probably the easiest for everyone geographically although of course it depends what venues we can find and what the consensus is.

If this is the sort of thing folks would like then yell, but please be a serious yell as I'm realistically trying to sort numbers so I can get accurate costing done. There's also a poll I've set up HERE so vote in it if you can please.

If you think it's a little OTT compared to what is generally available such as Spitz and various annual juggling conventions please say so, all opinions have the same importance smile but don't forget to vote

Thanks folks! I hope you like the idea and can help me to make it a success for all those who come *fingers crossed*

If you have any info you think I might be interested in, ie quality venues (any free party goers out there that know good locations?) any ideas for during the convention or feel there's something individual you could offer I'd really appreciate hearing about it either in this thread or by PM. It's the only way I can make sure I'm giving people what they want!

Looking forward to your comments biggrin

Thanks for reading this rather long post hug

weavesmiley juggle :staff: :ribbondance: :contactjuggle: :knifethrowing: :likwiddancing: :stiltwalking: :diablo: :bboys: :clubswinging: :wifeswapping: :etc:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well helen, i think thats poo, maybe you should tarvel back in time, and change the dates?

Step (el-nombrie)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
it is poo indeed frown especially as you didn't come to Falmouth!! spank

hug

and what's all this "Helen" malarky, it makes me uber-nervous when people use my full name..... eek always makes me feel like I've been a naughty girl rolleyes

offtopic sorry!
EDITED_BY: Helz Bellz (1122891834)

Live well, love much, laugh often...

Official O.B.E.S.E. cheerleader

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
well HELEM MILLER, you have done something wrong!

you have broken my heart!

Non-Https Image Link

ubbcrying

Step (el-nombrie)

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
awwwwww hug

ubblove

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
So whats with all this recent not going malarky . . . . Do you all know what you will be missing ?? biggrin

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
I know, I know, it's gonna be ace.

Damm my friend for getting married on the Saturday! Does she not know what I'm missing out on for her!! ubblol

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
come on sunday?

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
oh wait a min, helen and a party

nope she will be sleping till monday wink

Step (el-nombrie)

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
...Or get her to have her wedding at Play! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Helz BellzSILVER Member
lovin' it...
2,444 posts

Posted:
now there's an idea!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin hug

not convinced it'll work though! ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Aw my god lads...

Tainted, are you sure you can't make it? You have more money than I do!!! Please try, this is going to be an amazing weekend biggrin

Vixen... please come lady... we need you for the coalition biggrin

Helz... eek No. Awww. Poo indeed. Can't you come up on the Sunday? Please???!!

Come on people... this could be the last time we all see each other this year... hug

Getting to the other side smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
weddings at play.....this is turning more and more into a Glasto spinners event every day! Next thing we'll have pregnant women giving birth and I'll be going bald and grey and growing a beard like Micheal Eavis....oh hang on! umm ubblol

Helz....yes sorry I forgot about out conversation. Wish you were coming hon frown hug But play will be back in less than a year and hopefully your friends will never be getting married ever again!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Oh yes, and Vix you have to come. If it means I have to phone the pub you work in, have a quiet word with the landlord myself and make sure he lets you have the night off. One night of pubbing compared to a weekend of brilliantness! If all else fails, I detect a family emergency in Shropshire wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I coudl possibly be havign troubles coming now, work problems grr

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
*adds Wills boss to list of phone calls*

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Can you ring my boss too? no reason, it would just be highly amusing. ubblol

Gayle.....!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
In the theme of today I have just had a discussion with my supervisor and unfortunately I have to be the bearer of even more BAD NEWS . . . I have been told catagorically that I have to go to PLAY and impose myself on you friendly folk, I am sorry but I have been told too, I hope you can all cope. . . I will try not to ruin your weekend wink I hope I haven't dissappointed anyone hug . . .

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

I've been speaking to Aimée, and it seems she is going to be free the weekend of PLAY, but has no idea how to get there from Hastings.

Can anyone offer any ideas/help?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Sorry people... i will continue my begging over the next week... but failing that.... will be sending life sized cut outs of myself to be passed around at kissed at regular intervals! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Anyone, preferably a cute female, fancy offering a back massage workshop using my back wink I would be most grateful, am happy to offer many hugs/tent space/back massage in return . . . hug hug

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vixen

Sorry people... i will continue my begging over the next week... but failing that.... will be sending life sized cut outs of myself to be passed around at kissed at regular intervals! xxx

Think good thoughts... think good thoughts... think good thoughts...

wink

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vixen

You've got that the wrong way around... come to Play and leave the cardboard cut out of yourself at work, I'm sure you'd get away with it wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Think the cardboard me might get a little soggy pulling pints all weekend tho! xxx

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbangel

biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Trust you Jon rolleyes ubblol

Written by: loves the circus

Hmmm...

I've been speaking to Aimée, and it seems she is going to be free the weekend of PLAY, but has no idea how to get there from Hastings.

Can anyone offer any ideas/help?

All the location details are available here so you should be able to plan the journey ok and there's a map showing Shrewsbury Train Station which is around 10 minutes walk away. There's also written details for arriving by car.

Hope that helps smile

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
juggle CALLING ALL CORNWALL PEOPLE juggle

I am still dithering about with work over whether or not I can actually make it or not, but assuming I can...

Does anyone have a space in their car?
Would anyone brave like a lift in my car if I drive? I have never driven on the motorway before, but how hard can it be?
Would anyone like to go up together on the train?
When are people planning on going and coming back?

X

to live at all is miracle enough

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"I have never driven on the motorway before, but how hard can it be?"

ubblol

Now that's dedication... fair play hug

Getting to the other side smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Cheers for that, Dunc.

I should have worded that better...
Aimée is unsure as to how she will get there, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer her help in getting there, I.e. a lift.

Is anyone else coming from East sussex area?

Silly me!

Be Water My Friend.

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
just started a new thread in the video section asking people to consider sending us their footage and pictures of play, and asking for suggestions for the dvd. more details in that thread ([Old link]) kiss

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Mewcat- driving will take a loong time (at least it did in the chutmobile when I dove to Fal3) but with company its fun to have a roadtrip- driving back hungover ain't so fun though (I stopped about 6 times coming back due to tiredness.

As for the motorway thing- you'll be fine- you can A-road much of the journey anyway, so you needn't worry too much. I lost my motorway virginity 3 years after I passed my test by driving my car 200 miles to London. The M25 was a batism of fire but it was a good way to get over my foibles and I've done it loads since. smile

Oh, BTW I've just paid for my ticket- I'M GOING TO PLAY!!!! biggrin:D:D

Page: ......