Forums > Help! > Need help with pois and wicks

Login/Join to Participate

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:

I have only been doing this for about 1 month. I wonder what Im doing wrong when I put fire on my pois cause it only last for 2-4 min. I´m using Wicks but I dont know what composition it is ( https://www.flerbollar.com/produktkatalog/eldprodukter.htm
its under the name Vekke ). Right now Im using 65 mm Wicks and to fuel im using ordinary lamp oil ( festival oil). Before I performe I soak them 10-15 mins. Could someone tell me what Im doing wrong ? Is it myh wicks that are to tin ? The soaking period is to short? Not good fuel ?The wicks isnt good? Any tips would be helpful.....

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
My wicks last about 3-5 minutes much less when it's very windy. What sort of area to do you perform at? smile

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Normally wicks only last a few minutes, so don't expect 10 minute burns!

2-4 minutes isn't that bad as tube wicks are amongst the shortest burning wicks. If the kevlar wick isn't the best quality this will affect burn time, but chances are if they're bought from a juggling shop the quality is ok.

Wicks only really need to be dipped for about 20 seconds between spins, any longer doesn't cram more fuel in.

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
What I also wonder is when I look at pics of fire pois it seems that they are having a very "large" flame. Now I do know that camera can fool the eye....Is this also related to if you use 65 or 85 mm wicks and how much? Also how much wicks do you need to wrap around your pois to have a good flame ? Is it more like personal adjustment ?

I have seen ppl talking about Monkey fist and Cathedral types and it seems they are better then the tube standard that I use for now. Do these types gives better flames and lenght ?

Currently Im learning bymyself here in Sweden ( Gothenburg) I havent yet manage to find a society here. If any1 should know let me know plz!!! wink
EDITED_BY: Wai (1092177282)

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I recently took to adding BBQ lighter fluid to my paraffin (5 parts P. 1 part BBQ L. F.) and this really brightened up the fame. You can also add certain chemicals to change to colour, e.g. I think its boric acid that gives you a green flame weavesmiley biggrin

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey man, what i do it just stick soem paraffion in a pint glass or so and just dip the wick in till ti stops bubbling which is normalyl about 15 seconds, and then take it out and shake o the xcess, u sound surprised of a 2-4 min burn thats abotu average, if u got less than a minute your not soaking enough, btu really anywhere beteen 3-5 is ok, i always wait for ti to stop bubblig, thats best, boric acid you say? try tying sparklers ont he end with iron wool, u get a really cool effect

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:

When you guys say BBQ what is that? I suppose that isnt barbeque sauce biggrin......

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Don't forget that the chemicals added to color the fire will trash your wicks faster than normal.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals