Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

Laura_OHareSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
Thanks Clare smile

Will definitely try to get up!

You'll be glad to know that I eventually perfected the corkscrew, so no more spending 3 hours trying to teach me it is required!

Pauline gave me the info for Stu from Willowstone festival-thanks! And have looked into Child Protection for you-should be some coming up soon, definite dates to follow!

Laura x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Brilliant, thanks so much smile

Looking forward to hearing from you...

(Best to email me though, as I don't check here so often smile )

xx

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
All the more reason to check here more often then! nana

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue2

True...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i am planning to go to ireland this winter grin

whats the scene like around dungarvan?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Dungarvan, Waterford?

I'd say it's probably not all that happening in Dungarvan itself... BUT... you are relatively close to Cork... which has a community circus, and is also where the fabulous Ronan lives (or close to).

Which is quite good, really smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Btw, why are we using the old Irish thread again?

I'm sure there was a newer one poking about .... smile

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
yeah dungarvan in waterford, my GFs family are from there, although we intend to travel around the place for a week or two so will be roaming smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm up near Belfast and we have fortnightly fire gatherings...

Next one happens on Tuesday coming (August 18), then it's fortnightly after that.

If you're around then, you'd be really welcome smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
(but that is the other end of the country... about an 8 hour drive from waterford...)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
indeed, well we wont be coming until december/january, but if we get up that way might have to try and swing by smile

eimhinstranger
9 posts

Posted:
duckHello all,

Here's a little note to say that I'm in Ireland for the next two years and while here I'll be up for some mutual 'self-organising' after a lovely two years dotting around europe.

If anyone is looking for moderately talented
fire-spinner/dancer/object-manipulator/event organising types for projects around the country, (festivals/lessons/workshops/performance/group works etc.
please send word to

flipflop.productions(at)gmail.com

Also, if you have a strong local community, a weekly meet-up, or a university juggling/manipulation society then you may be interested in having Ronan and I visit as part of our upcoming workshop tour of the island.
Private lessons will also be on the go in Galway for the next two months, along with movement workshops at galway's 'social space' and the 'spirit centre'.

Please email for more info.
smile
Keep up the joy :~)
EDITED_BY: eimhin (1251385415)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey there Eimhin...

I've been talking to Ronan already about doing a masterclass up here at some point...

Meg's coming over to do one on Oct 10/11... and I was thinking of the next one in December/January some time?

Would that suit your plans?

We had Nick over a few weeks ago and it was really successful...

Anyways... I'll be in touch - or read my emails smile

Take care
Clare x

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hello Ireland....

On my way to Clonakilty and was supposed to make a short visit at a friends place here in Dublin but he decided to go to Berlin so I´m left alone on the street (not really I´m in a hostel here in Dublin).
But hey, if anyone got a couch or some space on the hallway floor available for some nights I could offer free poi lessons and some lame swedish jokes in exchange grin

You can reach me easiest on "thomas@nevisoul.com"

Crossing my fingers to hear from fellow spinners over here....

Love and laughter

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah rubbish... if I was in Dublin, you could stay with me, but I'm three hours in the wrong direction... frown

In the meantime... try reposting your request on www.emeraldcircus.com - there's lots of jugglers posting on there, and you may get a better response

(sorry for the cross-post HoP - thought it would be ok, as it seems kindof urgent smile )

very_randomstranger
4 posts

Posted:
Hi all, am i photography student studying in dublin. Am currently doing a project on fire spinners and i was wondering if any of you could tell me when and where there are any gigs on in the Dublin area or if any of you would be willing to meet up with me personally and let me photograph you?

Any help or information would be really really appreciated!

My email address is tatselestat@googlemail.com

Meekerchewsstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hello, so I have no idea if anyone uses this anymore, but its worth a shot.

My name is Micah (pronounced meek-ah), I've been spinning poi for almost two years now, been spinning fire for just a little under that. Also spin a little staff, and started with devil sticks about a month ago.

well now to the point. I'm moving back to Ireland in about a month. Haven't been there in ten years so I really know no one except for my family. I spin fire with people over here all the time and would like to continue doing so once I move out there.

so, I was wondering what gatherings, festivals or fire meetups go on over there?
EDITED_BY: Meekerchews (1260520010)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there... where will you be in Ireland?

There's regular poi classes and fire gatherings in Belfast (PM me your email addy if you want added to the mailing list!), and there's a couple of festivals that go on during the summer.

Best wishes on your move home - welcome back smile

Clare

Meekerchewsstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Yay, someone replied back. now I feel sort of late.

I'm moving back on the 20th of January. I'll be staying in Swords for a bit with some family until I get settled.

Even though Ill be a bit far from Belfast, I'd love to be added to the mailing list. I'll send you my email addy now.

KneelSILVER Member
journeyman
80 posts

Posted:
There are college meet ups that everyone is welcome to come along in Dublin,check out this website www.emeraldcircus.com

-Niall-

Page: ...