Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. £3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Geek.

hug thanks Paul...

Yep... kindof... but it's called all different things here, from parrafin to kerosene to parasene. Each one has a different grade and properties.

PS: DSS - have just pmd you biggrin

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Deleted post phone call. hug
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1146062855)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
glad to hear everything went well, i spent sat evening in fibbers making the mostof myweekend off. met wwith dec in st stvevs green on sun and he said about aiden hurting his back hope alls well hug hug anywho ill be down again soon and hoeflly every1 wont be too busy for a wee spin hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Yeep... eek

Sorry James... should have deleted this one too biggrin

hug2

Have a splendid Beltaine everyone... and as the lady says below - lots of fun to be had at the festie of fools...

They had a great opening show with Voyages...

Just what circus should be - or what it should be moving towards.

Performers from Belfast, Denmark and Sardinia (home of sardines smile), leading the people of Belfast through the streets - taking them on a Voyage to discover their dreams and realise potential.

Wicked show - splendid energy...

Take care xx
EDITED_BY: FurryPurple (1146247369)

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hey all, just a wee reminder that the fesival of fools is happening this weekend in belfast, with lots of act from as far as japan to america and of course the most talented performers ireland wink been down to see the first day of the festival and so far the acts have been great, so if your at a loose end this weekend come to belfast

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
nice to see that everyone is hugs- a-go-go again hug

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
hi everybody! wave
i just came back from france, and i spent a looong time without internet... anyway i'm back and looking for some spinning somewhere...? juggle
is there something planned for next weekend or before or after?? aaaaaaaa i can't wait, too much energy!! eek

Oh, and just if there is somone here who likes Metallica i was supposed to go to the concert on the 11th of june with my father but he cant come anymore... so if anyone is interested, i will die if i miss it and i don't want to go alone... so i give this place with all my love and passion heart umm
and it's a good occasion for me to meet more people eheheh biggrin

bye smile
Lucie

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
typical of belfast.....there i was watching the youth circus perform (the kids were great) and a complete idiot (PG rating and all) threw a sandwich at them, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr vapart fom tha tthe festival is going sooooooooo well although really hungover now- if i feel this bad i dot wat to be the performers today

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Here....is there something happening in Galway, the week before EJC?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

EveishGOLD Member
*Tickles pretty strangers*
610 posts

Posted:
Hellooo Everyone, I am Eve, another aussie that will be invading Ireland for the EJC and the surrounding time -Belfast, Dublin, Cork - all by road so probably several towns in between.. : ) I hope to spend a bit of time spinning and juggling with you all *hugs!*
I have a question too... Are there any good Celtic music sessions that would welcome a traveling mandolin player? Do any of you guys play?

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

nordemember
39 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eveish

Hellooo Everyone, I am Eve, another aussie that will be invading Ireland for the EJC and the surrounding time -Belfast, Dublin, Cork - all by road so probably several towns in between.. : ) I hope to spend a bit of time spinning and juggling with you all *hugs!*
I have a question too... Are there any good Celtic music sessions that would welcome a traveling mandolin player? Do any of you guys play?

if your up in the north, you should come to Bangor...... plenty of pubs, and all within rolling distance
https://www.bangor-countydown.co.uk/

Friday nights down my local - The Ormeau Arms (Fealty's to the locals) is good for fiddly dee biggrin
then on a sunday night upstairs is a jamming session and open mic - all welcome ! and VERY VERY surreal ........

theres a wednesday night thing as well in another bar just round the corner, but i've never been - so don't know too much about it

"THE ORMEAU ARMS
This again is another very old Irish Traditional Bar that is suited to those of you who prefer an older crowd. This bar is open seven days a week with live bands and folk music on both a Friday and Saturday night- free of charge and its a good place to come to listen an enjoy the Craic!
This Bar is located on High Street"

Love me when i least deserve it... cause that is when i need it the most

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
heya eve, theres a few sessions do be goin off in dublin, get in touch when you'll be in Dublin and i'll let you know.

clare, are you and lisa havin a bit of a party in june? is it the first weekend? if it is im gonna drop my little get together and head up to u guys, if your poartyin the second w/e of june, then i'll be up there too , and you should come down for the first w/e.. urgh! basically ... when are you havin a party?.

i might not be posting again for the next few weeks.. best of luck to anyone sitting exams!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys!
Im looking forward to the tunes biggrin Though I am sure the session circles play completely a different set to us.
*bounce* Can't wait to be over there, my flight was finalised today - this makes me happy.

Weeeee!

What if I should fall right through the centre of the Earth and come out the other side where people walk upside-down?!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Eve.

Galway is chock full of trad sessions and musical heads. not to mention jugglers, spinners and nutters.

plenty of floors and spare beds too...

you'd be most welcome. its about two hours from dublin on the train.

a

Love is the law.

EveishGOLD Member
610 posts

Posted:
ooh ooh! Yay, this trip is sounding better by the day. I will be in Ireland for about 4 weeks in total, so will have plenty of time to visit you all..pm me to exchange phone numbers etc, or if you can offer me a floor for a night or two hug I will buy you ice cream and give you hugs if you do.. Weeee!
ado-p Would love to visit Galway, I've heard great things about it and about its jugglers wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice one

and...

linky linky

Limerick Juggling Convention on workd Juggling Day (as proclaimed by the IJA)

[Old link]

Love is the law.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Hey I'm a newbie, wave

I'm soooo confused, I'm not good with computers so I didn't realise you can skip to the end of a thread till I'd gone thru about 4 months worth of posts, anyway I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Just wanted to say hello to you all

HELLO!!!

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

FireblitzSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah and I'm based in Dublin, forgot to say that.

You can only be young once but you can always be immature.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Alright Ireland! Are ya ready???

Looks like I am arriving, with another crazy fire spinning friend or two, into Dublin, on the first of July....

At the crazy excessive price of 1 pound from London, which makes me laugh!!!Insane!

we are looking to couch surf, tent and vaquely wander Ireland until the EJC when we will miraculously materialize in Cork somehow!

We offer skills in trade for accomodation- floors, couches, gardens... whatever is fine- everything from massage to magic tricks, jewellery to poetry, herbalry to philosophy... oh, and we both spin and teach poi too!

bounce bounce smile

PM me if you have ideas of places to go, people to meet, things to do....
mucho happiness, can not wait to see you all and your beautiful country!!

YAY!!!!
Andrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
if your ever in belfast i have a comfy couch and about 20 differnt types of tea smile

761 posts

Posted:
hey coleen did you get my pm?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

gasolineSILVER Member
54 posts

Posted:
hi! everybody!
can someone tell me where exactly is the juggling gathering on monday nights? confused
thaaaanks!!

Lucie smile

Gimme fuel, Gimme fire, Gimme that which i desire!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Hey Andrea,

pm, on the way :-)

We've moved away from Limerick now but it only got better. Stick Galway on your list of places to be... We've got a space and a great dollop of hopspitality with your name on it.

the house is full of twirlers, jugglers, hoopers and a jewelry maker wink

smile

Love is the law.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
and me biggrin

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
And Gabe...

ubblol

Love is the law.

761 posts

Posted:
Lucie ,
heres the directions for DIT monday night juggling....
You go up O'CONNELL STREET, to the very top, past the big statue and onwards to PARNELL SQUARE EAST(you will pass by the ambassador and the gate theatre on your left.)
take the second right onto GARDINER ROW walk down for about 100m take a left onto TEMPLE STREET, and the club will be on your left about 25m up...you have to go thru the gate and past the security hut, when you are facing the entrance to the car park, the building is on your right. the building is a swimming pool, you'll have to go into the building and straight down the corridoor, through the double doors, thats the gym where the club is.

they will be finishing up soon, sionce the school year will be over soon, and then EVERYONE meets in trinity college, on the cricket grounds... hope to see you soon.

btw, you dont happen to know a german girl by the name of Anja Mahler??

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hi there Gabe and Andrea... wave

You ladies are very welcome here any time you like (but you know that biggrin)...

PM me when you get here, or call me on 07910 372615 when you arrive in the UK...

Safe travels and happy adventuring... looking forward to seeing you both...

hug2

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
hey doc i did and ill do my bes tto try and slip them into my bag.......ill sweet talk carole, as long as your super careful as i have to pay a depsoit on any costumes leaving the costume room (or i could just do a neil and swipe them during the youth circus ad noone would know..........Mmmmmmmmm). oh aiden i did try and convince both carole and will about the acro workshop but ended up getting told off for not training enough (guessing steriod injections into my spine isnt a good excuse Mmmmm) more info on that flying your way in a pm. hug

Deviant_thinkingmember
36 posts

Posted:
story guys?

well i'll be at millstreet anyway seeing as i have no excuses as i live around an hour from there. however i will have a freakout soon if i dont get spinning in the next week or 2, i wanna get back into it all soon and have a bit of practice done before the ejc so i'll be in a position to learn some stuff at it instead of just getting my [censored] together at that (hint hint ado (^_^) !!!!!)

gl ppl. i hope i get to see you all soon!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the night,
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I should be coming to Ireland at the beggining of September with a group of non-spinning friends. I shall look in here to see if anything near to where we are is happening and then try to figure out exactly where to see if I can come spin with people I haven't met before.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

Page: ......