Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > The all-Ireland fire community thread :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello, hello and welcome to the thread for all Irish fire dancers, spinners, object manipulators, drummers, musicians and anyone else interested in these arts in Ireland.

This thread was started nearly a couple of years ago now... and it's since grown to include more people, gatherings, events, fun and games than we had thought possible.

And it's still growing - so if you're new to the arts, or want to meet up with any of us, please post at the end of this thread to introduce yourself... or send me a PM with your email address and I'll add your name to our mailing list.

There are spinners, dancers and manipulators all over the country, and you'll find lots of them on here... don't be shy, we're nice biggrin

So welcome, and hope to see you soon hug

Clare x

Updates on Circus/spinny gatherings around Ireland – 6 November 2006

Belfast:

Tuesday:

5pm-7pm

Streetwise (community circus) meet in Morton Community Centre (off Lisburn Road)… providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills. Run by the lovely Dave from Babcock and Bobbins (on HoP as Bobbins).

8.30pm-10pm

Lisa and I take our poi workshop in Crescent Arts Centre (featuring occasional special guests when they visit smile)… Please PM me if you are interested in poi lessons.

9.30/10pm-midnight

Fortnightly fire gathering in Crescent Park, Belfast (opposite The Fly bar). This is a friendly and informal gathering for anyone interested in spinning fire or learning more. Please PM me if you want to know the dates for the next gathering.

Wednesday:

7pm-9.30pm

Adult circus in Belfast Community Circus (Gordon St, Cathedral Quarter, Belfast). Weekly circus training for adults using various circusy props. ÂŁ3 per week (I think).

Galway:

Tuesday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet in Aras Na MacLeinn. Run by the fabulous Eimhin (on here as Flip), providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Thursday:

5pm-??

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Bank of Ireland theatre… as above.

Sunday:

12pm-4pm

NUI Galway juggling club meet at the Dangan Sports Centre…. As above.

Cork:

Tuesday:

5.30pm-8pm

Cork Community Circus meet at Loch Community Centre, at the top of Barracks St, Greenmount – providing an indoor space to practice and learn new skills. (Probably) run by the lovely Cormac (not on HoP). Three euro cover charge.

Limerick:

Thursday:

7pm-9pm

Limerick Juggling Club meet at the Limerick Youth Centre, on Lower Glentworth Street. Club run by fantastic jugglers Joe McGinley and Richy Brennan.

Dublin:

Monday:

5pm-7pm

DIT juggling club meet in the hall behind Belvedere College – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Tuesday:

7pm-9pm

Trinity juggling club meet in Goldsmith Hall, Pearse Street – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Wednesday:

7pm-9pm

DIT juggling club meet in Linen Hall, across the road from Bolton Street. Go through the archway at the side of Bodkins, and it's on the top floor, in the gym.

4.30pm-6pm

NCAD juggling club meet… somewhere

Thursday:

6pm-9.30pm

UCD juggling club meet in the Memorial Hall, beside the Architecture buildings – providing a free, indoor space to practice and learn new skills.

Dun Laoghaire

Tuesday:

6pm-8pm

IADT meet… somewhere… a new club, and everyone is welcome!

Events:

Tralee:

November 24-26

Tralee juggling convention… organized by the lovely Fanzini’s, the public show is looking fantastic… smile

(If you have any updates on these clubs or events, please PM them to me...)

Take care, happy spinning

X

EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1163601911)

Getting to the other side smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm, what does it mean?

Also, if this name is going to be used for community performances (as it probably will be after the St Patricks day thing), you should maybe include others views too. I'll ask when I send out this email tomorrow.

Though the mail is going to be a bit vague biggrin

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
im easy

i just needed a name to put on the contract im signing tomorow for the parade

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
it's irish for "light"

like aidan said, we just needed this in a hurry for the parade people, it doesn't have to be forever. phonetics in irish are completely off the wall, and unless you've learnt the language, pronounciation can be drag.

even the word "tine" which means fire can be easily mispronounced

i've heard "teen" & "tyne"

whereas it should be "tinn-eh"

like i said, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, this is just for the parade...

hug

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
also, don't think anyone else has posted this yet...

the Dublin Juggling Convention is on this weekend, 4th, 5th & 6th of March

details here

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Go the contract today

And there is a launch party tonight

Happy Daze!!!!

biggrin

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
hello hello....

big thanks to all the spinners & drummers who showed up at the DJC fireshow on friday nite. was a great sucess.

everything from flaming umbrellas to flaming skateboards to flaming us....... probably the 1st gathering i've been to where everyone was on fire at some stage ubblol

was great to meet the lovely Ronan & Evan hug (and everyone else i met on saturday who's names i don't remember redface) hope to see you guys at one of our gatherings sometime soon, the next one will be Tara on the 19th of March....

peace

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Roll on the 19th!!!

bounce2

Love is the law.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Yee-hah

I'm watching the weather forecast - we live in hope! sunny

Remember what the doormouse said

laudieSILVER Member
52 posts

Posted:
hello smile

whats up folks?? all busy bees here, great stuff! back from japan a week now, n no post holiday blues as of yet. japan is the business, i recommend it, very cool place. very fookin different ubbloco

so my lazy winter hibernation is over and im practising again. have made a new bud too who is super eager to learn more.

good to cya on fri lisa, spinning beautifully as usual clap

ado, where did u ge that piping again? gona make me a puritty staff

have a delightful week all, and yo! to those folks who i havent met yet, seems our wee thread is getting even more popular biggrin hope to see yiz soon

Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Would you believe that no one seems to have any footage of the umbrella going up?
Ah well I'll have to give more warning next time.
Already figured how to make it less melty and death-trappy
.......and have some other ideas as well....

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
Why was it that once i heard the words "fire umbrella" i knew you had to be behind it Martin?

So, when do i get to see some photos of the convention?

Helen

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
I cant wait til paddys day ladeladeda, ive just moved house and my new house has alot a big garden so i can play with more fire yeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
okey dokey folks

how many people are coming

list so far

Lisa
Dec
Johnny
Jake
Andy (to be confirmed)
Colm (to be confirmed)

tainted + how many?
kolong + dunno Hey Ronan wanna come down for the party?
anyone else?

Laura?
Martin?
Other Martin?

Love is the law.

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i ask about and see if there's any more interested if ya want ....

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont mind.

I figure if were gonna have a party it might as well be huge.

Love is the law.

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
theres me and Altja heading down...yey ubbloco beerchug

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
And I shall be doing green fire down in Kilkenny.
By the way Helen , the umbrellas name was Emily, not long for this world, but lovely while she was here :-)

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
And i never even got to meet her... ubbcrying

i shall be doing green fire in Paekakariki at the NZ juggling festival.

bounce

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Well the contract is signed now so tis a done deal. I think i'll frame it smile

Also there may be another paid gig or two aroundthe same time

details soon

a

Love is the law.

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:
Well I have to say that Dublin was fecking class! biggrin Had the best weekend in a long while, lovely to meet all that were there. A few nights of complete madness for me, next time I WILL be up before 3 for juggleification! smile (yeah right).
I hadn't planned on giving any workshops, but hope that that random mess of moves gave some of ye new ways to play. 20th June is Galway convention and am supposed to be putting on a poi workshop there so will try to put a bit of structure to things...
Is there any talk of putting photos or videos from the weekend on the net?
If any of ye Dubliners know Lee the juggler please ask him for my Radio Bemba cd (was forgotten in his cd player I think), I'm sure I'll see ye before him. BJC anyone? sounds like a plan I do believe.
Is there anything happening in Cork over the next few days? Would be delightful to meet up with ye again smile Be down there tomorrow night if anyone up to something (or not up to anything) give me a shout. Nice one!
Anyway, once again so good to meet ye, shall be seeing y'all soon
Ronan
ubbrollsmile

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey ronan, I'm sure Lisa told you at the weekend, but some of the lads are taking part in the Cork paddys day festival.

However, we're all meeting in Dublin on March 18 (I think), before heading up to Tara on March 19... we're doing some filming for the HoP dvd, hopefully.

I was going to go to the BJC, but plans have changed and I'm heading elsewhere instead... however, why don't you come over to Falmouth on Easter weekend?
Check out the Falmouth threads for more details, but it's going to be huge.
There's about 100-odd fire spinners coming... and I'm going to that.

Take care, hope to meet you soon
Clare x

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I thought the staff flags were such a good idea that I Made some with gaffer tape and material biggrin rolleyes.
The leading flag works for me but the one at other end doesnt fly well. Mine are just rectangles though, so your triangles might work much better.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
Written by: kolong

hope that that random mess of moves gave some of ye new ways to play

absolutely! i haven't even picked up the poor twins all week eek i'm in love with my poi again biggrin

remember i could only do 1 half of the btb waistwrap? well, tried it again last nite and hey, whaddayaknow.... ta da.... like i'd been doing if for weeks biggrin

thanks again ronan, for the inspiration hug

by the way, not sure if you're in cork already, but there's a good few of us heading down on wednesday (16th) evening if you're still about....

hi Gnor ubbrollsmile

did you fasten your flags to the staff with tape, or are they stitched in a way that they slide over the pole and glide around the pole? that's the only way i can think of to stop them wrapping and tangling up.

i have triangles on mine too, two triangles on each end of each staff. 8 in total, lots of tails, like 4 pairs of poi really biggrin

have a loverly weekend all hug

Lisa peace

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
cant see how to attach flag without allowing it to slide without it sliding right off the end confused. Ive made the flags fairly big though. If they were smaller the problem would be smaller to. I punished the naughty material by making it into flags. wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!!!

She's come back to the poi side!!

Lol, I knew that little phase wouldn't last... poi is much more satisfying... you just needed new inspiration biggrin

Tee hee hee

FabergéGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yeh, you've gotta attach something to the end (like the plastic cap from the end of the leg of a chair of sumthin') to stop the flag sliding off. if it can rotate perfectly around the staff then it shouldn't wrap or tangle, took me a few attempts before i had it though...

wish you much sucess oh flaggy one hug

yes Clare, i was definitely inspired at the DJC, but to be honest i had felt incredibly guilty about neglecting my poi for so long, poor little darlings, it's not like they had done anything wrong at all. all they needed was some love and tlc....

but now i feel torn, coz now Castor & Pollux will be feeling unloved... oh what to do.... what to do....

if only i were an octopied.... ubbrollsmile

RonopotamusGOLD Member
addict
412 posts

Posted:

Hey Clare, hows it going? Falmouth sounds like it will be class, but plane tickets are bought and scotland is calling smile
Nice one Lisa, oh isn't it lovely when it "clicks" brings a tear to the eye sniff sniff smile
I have a load of work this week so won't be able to make it out of the middlemidlandsland. Sounds like its going to be a good one for the twirlyness frown don't forget to set yourselves on fire for me!

Don't bolt your door with a boiled carrot...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Awww, Ronan, does that mean I won't get to meet you at all (or will you be able to make it on March 19)?!!

Dammit. That's you and James (deepsoulsheep)... rolleyes

Nevermind, hopefully I'll see you somewhere biggrin

Lisa, yes indeed missus, your poi were unloved and rejected - tis a tragedy. Y'see, this is what happens when you are unfaithful. You create lots of unloved toys and end up feeling wracked with guilt... ubblol

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
yey im heading to Cork today...with my airtech staff charged and itching to go juggle see you all down there

imprettylikedrugskicking cucumbers constantly : )
160 posts

Posted:
Aggh, im new to this !?

after hearing Clare and lisa go On And On about how great this all is I have finally decided to take a kick in the crotch from technology and learn how to do all this "Forum" malarchy... I thnk i know one or two people here allready which is comforting to say the least.

right, down to business now... I was wondering if any one would be interested in maybe having a wee spin in templebar square, or top of grafton street Thurday night ? I figure alot of people will be in cork, but for those of us stuck behind it may be a chance to make a bit of drinking cash. Im gonna say a meeting time of about 8 ish temple bar square, i will bring fuel.

and looking to the future biggrin anybody want to lend floor space to myself and a mate who will be in the Galway City centre area from 25-29 march ? If floor space is not available, perhaps you could recomend a good park bench for sleeping on, or a near bye field for camping in ? and is it cool to Busk With Fire in Galway ? ??

ubblol ubblol ubblol wink ubblol ubblol ubblol

Sorry for the Long post!

Cameron...

Today's subliminal thought is : " . ; ..." that is all.

Page: ......