Forums > Other Toys > Nunchuckers in the north of england

Login/Join to Participate

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
aright all just found home of poi and im trying to find other people into nunchucks how long you've all been doing it what types your into that kinda thing heres my details

doing nunhchucks 4-5 years got into them from doing martial arts

i do single and double nunchucks

3 sectioned nunchucks (nun-seku-kon dont quote me on the spelling)

single and double glow nunchucks

single and double fire nunchucks

i'm also into staff, fire staff and sword but not to the same degree as nunchucks and i've done a very small amount of poi

im from near manchester in england and go to uni in birmingham who else is into nunchucks where you live etc i've had very little luck so far finding people other than me and people i've taught who use them

ok not the overwelming response i was hopeing for confused

EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1093868637)

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
Rob you need to come back to Manchester the meets have grown huge Thanks to Mint sauce and Loki!

We need some nunchuck people so my house mate isnt alone!

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

Devilstick_RussellBRONZE Member
I like devilstick...
196 posts

Posted:
i do juggle chuks. which basically means i taught myself with absolutly not martial arts influence gives interresting results

Does this site actually exist? Or am i talking to all my other personalities?

My hairs on fireIf its got pistons or boobs, its gonna be expensive...
515 posts

Posted:
I spin nunchuckers. Never realy done any martial arts myself but a gd friends father has been studing Wu-Shu for the past 36 years or so and after seeing him have a go i needed to!
I try an mix it all up, bring poi an staff movments into it. do sum kinda wraps an stuff too.
Avent been doing them for overly long but its defo fun...sumthin eles to spin i geuss!

Henry Hill - 'One day the kids from the neighbourhood carried my mothers groceries all the way home, you know why? It was out of respect'...

ahmet_20valve_ahmet(at)hotmail(dot)com
Hope all is well : )

pulse waveBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,

Im knew here myself. I have just gotten into spinning poi, but I got into spinning things with chucks. I have no true martial arts experience, but I have been playing with chucks on and off for about 3 years. I have played with mostly glochucks but am interested in trying them with fire now that I have spun fire poi.

My question would be how did you guys make yours? I have a few ideas of cobbling some together with stuff bought from HOP, but was just looking for some different ideas. What kind of handles you used(wood, metal).. type of wick, ect, ect.

Thanks

PW

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
aright mate you said you were intrested in makeing fire nunchucks you might find this usefull

https://www.soton-firespinning.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=32

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
aright house of mill sounds wicked good job i'll be comeing down on the 19th then isn't it smile see you there

Russell i've been trying to find someone who could juggle chuks for ages i had a wicked idea for a routeen where you have about 4 pairs of fire nunchucks and you swap them between two people one useing them as nunchucks one jugging them do you attend any spinning meets?

also pulse wave i've sent you the address of a build your own fire nunchuck guide good luck

pulse waveBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Robnunchucks,

THANKS ALOT!!!!! Awesome site. Digging all the info.

Would love to see a vid of you doing the glow chucks.
I will put a few pics up of me spinning them when I figure out how.

Again thanks,

PW

pulse waveBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
Ok,

Rob, if you just read the above post of mine you are probably thinking to yourself "register for the site wanker".
I did, found your video, and am still watching it 30 min later.
Its just sick. Very inspiring. Makes me curious about trying 3 sectional staff.

PW

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
3 sectional staff is way cool was using robs on sun i will have to make my own now is an intresting expirence

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
yo, I havent been doing chucks that long. I just made some new glowchucks that personnally are my favs so far. A little paint image is at https://www.deviantart.com/deviation/13425136/.
Its the basic idea but not exact. When using the SCH 40 pipe the glowsticks dont need anything but friction to keep them in the sticks, but are easy enough to twist out. It looks awesome not moving and even cooler when spun. They work perfect for me. I use a pretty short cord (bout 2 1/2" between the pvc tubes) and the pvc is 1 foot long. err Yeah.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
thanks mate glad you like the video and yep 3 sectioned is alot of fun mainly cos theres just so much you can do with it theres a guide up there with the tutorals on makeing one if you wanta try building one oh and i've knocked up a throws guide for you as well have a shufty at that to

also twistthem488 the only thing i would say is be very causous about useing nothing but friction to hold the glow sticks in one of the main problems i've had with all the designes up to my current ones is the lack of strength i can't even remember how many times i've had a pair of nunchucks rip them selfs appart on me i've got about 7 pairs of broken nunchucks in a box in my room and these are profesonaly manufactiured ones i got from martal arts shops i did some caculations and with a full speed swipe the tip of the nunchuck pulls 63G meening your nunchucks need to be strong enough to take 63 times the weight of one of the chucks preferably 100 times if you want something realy durable or you risk them comeing apart on you when you get up to top speed if your makeing glow chux there nomaly light enough that its not to much of a problem but i would still recomend puting a pin or string in just to be sure they dont fly out

MarblejesterGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
hhhhhhheyyyyyy its my first post, wow how touching! iv been doing knunchucks for about 8 months as a martial art form as well as performance i found it quite easy to pick up, iv been doing poi for lyke 2 years now, i taught it for about 6 months and now i work for hire for clubs in my local area..... sorry u guys life story not needed, im kinda stuck with things to do with chucks iv run outta ideas i got to train with my buddie sam he's been doing them for 3 years and has been in county tournaments (sp?) and even came 2nd place trying out for uk rep. and he's taught me 99% of what he knows leaving me :-S once again any help? thanks, Ollie Monster.

MarblejesterGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
robnunckucks, thanks loads buddie ur site gave me the intrige i needed to get back into them i havent picked up my chucks in about a month or so now but thanks , oh soz about my last messege, reading it now i sounded lyke the lil chav girl from lil britain, i think im just well biggrin to find other people into chucks shame i live in the southeast of england but all the same, thanks! it sucks iv fractured my hand so doing chucks is well painful but u know what its lyke when u get something in ur head... man i just got my juggling knifes too frown thanks again,
Ollie Monster.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
aright mate well if your up for learning some more and perhaps trying some fire nunchucks im going to go to the falmouth firespinners festival its wicked if you like poi and stuff anyways might be abit far for you but its worth the drive have a look at it the info about it is up in the events and gatherings section

MarblejesterGOLD Member
4 posts

Posted:
ahhh cool bro nice one, i just got myself a steel fan its beautiful just toying with it at the mo but it could be cool, its really strange talking to people who are in to the same sh*t as me, where i am the only other poisters or jugglers are people iv either taught or people iv met thru busking and stuff, i live in the southeast ( margate) but i got a bike so its not that badd where in the country is it? my geography is total pants! All the nunchucks i have been doing has been combat based lyke learning the basics and then have my buddie hurl pieces of fruit at me, course its fun until u get all into it and throws a couple of eggs ur way ( not nice...funny, but not nice!) its sooo wierd iv ben using HOP for about a year and i never thought to look on the forums... anywho, thanks buddie.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
cool falmouth is south west of england but its right down towards lands end basicly you go down for a weekend its kinda an uoffical festival kinda thing

firestuSILVER Member
63 posts

Posted:
i am teaching myself but all i have managed so far is large amounts of pain!

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" Lao Tzu

"It is not length of life, but depth of life."

Chi_StaffSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
hey, ive been doing nunchucks for a few years now, steel, oak, foam, single and double. but im a martial arts instructor so my experience with them is almost purely practical, don't know much about the tricks side of them. has any1 tried the shaolin 9section steel whip? am currenlty saving for a 3section staff, went to see the shaolin wheel of life show and the 3 S T displays were amazing.

Whatever it is, If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anybody then you are making the world a better place.

The world always looks nicer when you're spinning.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I've been learning the basics from a guy at my local juggling club in london and teaching myself to spin chucks for about 4 weeks now (i'm just using beginner foam ones at the moment). Got keen on it after seeing your vid and thinking how awesome it looked. I've been doing poi a while, so I find that helps quite a lot with some of the moves. Going to have gun working through all the extra stuff in your tutorials!
I'm considering making some fire chucks, was gonna be lazy and buy some wooden ones then stick some tubing on the end, but I might have a go at using your schematic! Cheers for the inspiration Rob! biggrin

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
can do some 3 sectioned staff i've made some fire 3sectioned staffs not tryed a 9 sectioned whip though i was thinking of trying a fire whip but i've not got round to that yet

glad you liked the video that much lazyAngel plus the tutorals when i first started makeing them i wasn't sure if anyone would be intrested so its nice to hear someones finding it handy smile

firestuSILVER Member
63 posts

Posted:
fire whips rock ass anr thay are gust fun to use but be cairhull!

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" Lao Tzu

"It is not length of life, but depth of life."

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
woot, got pics of my glowchucks in action https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3344
hehe, their decieving seeing as their are only 2 lights in the picture but it looks liek each end of the chucks has like 12. Its cause i drilled holes down the length of the chucks and inserted happy camper light sticks. anywho, i love em.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I did fire chucks for the first time last friday. Good fun but its a trick with the swaps and stuff to grab far up enough so that you dont get burned. Im learning from my friend Dragon who has been doing chucks for decades, and can do all sorts of amazing double chucks moves, inlcuding contact stuff like fishtails. ubbrollsmile The thing I like most about his twirling tho is it isnt pure battle chucks style, he grooves with the music and makes strikes / swaps n throws n stuff with the rythm - pure inspiration.

anyhow - nothing more to add at this stage cuz I dont know anything else smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

pulse waveBRONZE Member
10 posts

Posted:
I tried it a few weeks ago for the first time.... I have just healed up from my first burns. In the meantime I have been practicing my chucks with fire IN MIND. Modifyied how I do a few things to reduce the chance of injury.
Will put some pics up soon.

But its every bit as cool as I had imagined.

PW

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
yeah, i'd love to do fire. anywho i just got asked by the preacher of my church (ahem, my mom) to prefrom my glowchucking skills at a united methodist womens lunch. a lot of the highschoolers are preforming. ive been playing around with an idea of mine. since my chucks are made of PVC i took a connecter, made a centimeter wide cut through one side, now i can stick the chucks in and use it as a baton and then take it off and use them as chucks. for people who dont know what im doing its trippy cause it looks solid and straight and then it starts the bend in the middle. yeah. um... im a loser.