Page:
lala32stranger
3 posts

Posted:
Ok.....I feel like an idot because I still haven't gotten the weave. Right now it is the only thing holding me back from advancing. You would think that I wouldn't be able to do everything else, but it's just the weave.

My cousin says that my left hand goes retarded everytime I try it. ubbloco Which she would happen to be correct. I have been working on many techniques in order to learn it, but nothing I have done so far seems to be helping.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate the suggestions.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
The wheel keeps going the same way. Poi goining forwards at the top, backwards at the bottom. It just slides along the axle to move from side to side.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Lotus81GOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:
I've got the weave down fairly well...but i think i've seen people switching from one side to the other by going behind their head (?) anybody know what i'm talkin about?

~Lotus

CytronixSILVER Member
106 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah, I got 3bt, 4bt and 5bt weaves now! Woo!

It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who youre not.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
If they're not turning their body then that's just the same thing but with your hands held a bit higher smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Lotus81GOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:
 Written by: spiralx

If they're not turning their body then that's just the same thing but with your hands held a bit higher smile

Going higher will place the poi behind my head then? confused I'll have to go and work this one out today. Thank you

~Lotus

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Depends on what you're talking about? Are you talking about just doing a weave with your hands held high and back at bit? Or are you talking about the windmill, which is something you can do while turning from a forwards to backwards weave?

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/21

It's not clear which you mean smile

Lotus81GOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:
Yup! I think that's what i mean....now, to get it down. Thanks!
~Lotus

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Windmill is a wall plane move, so to go into it smoothly you should turn 90 degrees from the direction you're facing when doing a weave. This is why it's done inbetween turning a forwards into a reverse weave, which is a total of 180 degrees of turn; you do a 90 degrees turn, do a windmill, then turn another 90 degrees to go into the opposite direction weave smile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
i reckon putting in a windmill is easier if you're going from reverse weave to forward weave, cause it's got more of a natural upward motion.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Slightly offtopic... but DO not try a Wheelplane Windmill... It hurts unless your a rubber man.

Ontopic:
I learned the weave after doing a similar move but in same time. That is, crossing your arms. In out. And switching between what hand was on top of each other... THink this move is just called Crossing??

(Hope I get the terminology right now)

Anyways... After you feel good with that, taking the next step. Spin the Poi into split time, 180 degree from each other in wheelplane (The right and left side of your body in neutral position) You will be crossing your hands almost like what you did in the practice. However you will notice you need some more spin to get it to go around the last 90 degrees. That is when the "Thing not apparent to the wrist" comes into play. It's really simple if you take your time and analyse it. Where is there room for movement... Upwards. So you'll scope your wrist and hand upwards/downwards depending on which side yoru spinning on ATM(Right or left)

Think this is my first try at explaining a move in text... Far from as good as some of the other tips around here.

In case it helps you, or any other one, keep on posting!

Lotus81GOLD Member
12 posts

Posted:

GOT IT!
You're right, it's a windmill/weave type thing that i was looking for...and just to offer some advice, sometimes it helps to shorten up the poi so you can try to go through the motions all out in front that way you can see what you're doing (if you don't have a mirror)...that's what i did and it helped me get the idea of what i was going for

~Lotus weavesmiley

mfskarphedinSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
LMFAO ubblol

I've been trying to get the 3-beat weave down for a couple days now, using the HOP technique and all the tips I found on these forums. Couldn't seem to get it no matter what. Yesterday I got tired and a little frustrated and went to playing around with a 2-beat weave (which I'd never done before,) and then decided to try a variation where I switch which hand is leading across my body instead of the left all the time.

Ok, well, I didn't know I had naturally turned the 2-beat into a 3-beat to accomplish this. So tonight when I went to try the 3-beat again, it just happened, and then I realized I'd learned it by accident yesterday!

rolleyes

See ya,

Kristen

Zach_BGOLD Member
Flowing gently, Hands and Poi are One
9 posts

Posted:
Ok I have a question, Im really new to this whole thing and im not quite sure of exactly what im doing. I know that im doing a weave of some sort (Or acleast I think I am) but im not sure what to label it so i'll attempt to explain it.

I start out spinning both poi in the towards the center of my body then I take my left hand and cross it under my right arm then I move the right to the left and continue that same pattern a few times over. Is that a 2 beat 3 beat what??

Our view of the world is defined by our Perception of it. How do you Perceive it?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
From what I understand, you're doing a 2 beat... if the hands switch which one is on top, then you're doing a 3 beat. smile

It'll be a figure 8 with each poi if its a two beat... each half of the 8 being a beat... if its got more than that its a 3 beat...

but basically if your hands switch which is on top it should be a 3 beat... or getting there.

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1220407035)

hug

Zach_BGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
Yeah I think they change hands I dont know for sure its kinda hard to re-imagine it while sitting at the keyboard lol! Yeah I was outside poiying (Sp?*) a few secs ago but then a knot let loose on my finger loops and it slammed into the side of my house... Not good, Im using a home made pair made from socks rice and some good skate shoe string. They seem to work good enough for practicing except for the fact that my loops keep on coming apart.

Our view of the world is defined by our Perception of it. How do you Perceive it?

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Try using a bowline loop or a double eight loop if you're using shoestring as your handle. Or fashion a separate handle out of other materials (ball, loop, or stick, the latter probably being the cheapest and simplest and, I find, most comfortable).

Anyway as far as beats go, they are measured by the number of full rotations each poi makes during one repetition of the pattern. In a 2 beat weave, your left-hand poi will make one full circle on your left side and one full circle on your right side; that constitutes a full repetition of the 2 beat weave pattern. For a single repetition of the 3-beat weave pattern, your left poi will make one full circle on your left side, and two on your right; your right poi will do the opposite. Each poi makes 3 full rotations. It's easy to visualize if you pick an arbitrary reference point (the ground, the sky, the wall) as a starting point, and every time your poi head passes that point it is one rotation.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My favourite pair of practice poi are rice in balloons in knee high socks...

and I dunno about the spelling of that I've always said "poi'ing" just to get out of really figuring how that should go.

While at your desk try having your left hand underneath to begin with, then bring it from underneath and connect your left wrist with the top of your right wrist... when that occurs, have the right wrist be bumped out of where it was and have it move down, then around in a circle to hit the top of the left wrist(the same way you did for the left wrist) ... repeat.

If this feels vaguely like the action you were doing... you were doing the 3 beat. Does this make sense?

hug

Zach_BGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
Yeah thats exactly what I was doing lol. Ok now acleast I can label the one skill I have lol. So now what is a variation I can do on that same move? Like I can move it up and down on a vertical plain in front of me like make it go higher and lower by a few feet. and I can do turns while keeping it going but like how do I do that same move behind my back. Without bashing in my brains... What little I have left.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Sorry, man thats a bit too hard to understand... check out the library here and that should help you out with your definitions...

I'm happy to keep answering questions so long as I can understand what it is you're asking me! smile

hug

Zach_BGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
Lol, ok the gotcha I'll look up what im doing!!!

Talbidstranger
1 post

Posted:
Ok, I'm brand new to the poi world, just started with socks last week. I've been trying for 3 days to do the 3-beat weave using many different instructional videos to no avail. Then I read on here about doing the 2-beat weave (figure-8) and trying to add that extra spin. Amazing. Honestly had a rough 3-beat weave in 2 minutes!! Thank you!!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
You generally do want to start with lower amounts of beats tongue2

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to learn them in reverse as well.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
And for 2bt learn with each hand on top.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Page: