Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Shoulder-Neck-Shoulder variants

Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Shoulder-Neck-Shoulder variants. (Abreviated to SNS from now on. (Thou I might call it SNES by accident)) Also, all this is my own opinions etc, so if anybody has stuff to contribute, feel free! Plus: My Anglais not so good.

(WARNING: This is one of those stuck-in-a-lab not-wanting-to-do-proper-work posts)

The basic move can be seen and is described here:

SNS - void.printf.net

It is also seen in many other videos, the most recent of which I can remember are Ben-Ja-Mens ones. (ps: My site makes no sense, all these parts are vertical - ideally, I had only been the doing the move for a few weeks, so it felt like the neck wrap was horizontal, because it was OUT OF PLANE!)

Right - on with explaination.

There are three parts to this move, and two basic variants. The three parts are: The first shoulder wrap, then the neck wrap, then the final shoulder wrap. All these parts are vertical. (at least for now.) The two basic variants are turning and non turning.

Non-turning - Just put the staff onto your shoulder in plane with your body (the wall plane). For the turning version - just stick in onto your shoulder in wheel plane. You'll find you have to turn in order to get you neck under it and to exit it nicely.

More variations: Throat wrapping! (Or: Hmmm, the back of my neck is developing callouses, time to get some on my throat too!) For me, this is something I haven't managed to make into a full move yet, but I can do all the component parts, so obviously it must be possible. Throat wraps: The staff starts out like you're going to do a halo roll over your back. ie: it's coming up to the back of your shoulder in reverse figure of 8. Instead of doing a halo roll, you stick your head back as far as it will go, look at the sky and think of bonny scotland, then let the staff wrap your throat. (fun variations: do a throat wrap out of a elbow wrap, don't do a throat wrap, but place the staff on your shoulder and turn and carry it around your body, kind of like a half fishtail on your shoulder) So now it's wrapping your throat - yay! You can try plugging this in to your normal SNS (or STS now). (And yes, you can do throat wrapping with runing... hmmm, turning....)

But why stop there? If we can have variations on the neck wrap part, surely we can have variations on the other parts? Of course! And there are sooo many....

Obviously the shoulder wraps are symmetrical. (for now) So some variations: Ben-ja-men does a nice job of starting a left shoulder roll with his left hand. He just spins it under his armpit and lets go - hey presto - shoulder wrap. I think knoxious does a nice shoulder wrap out of a elbow lock, I personally started off doing the left shoulder wrap by keeping my left arm straight and starting the wrap with my right arm putting the staff on my left shoulder. Orther variations include: The right arm putting the staff under the left armpit from BTB. This feels more natural if you do a throat wrap out of it. (You might also consider catching the staff BTB at the end of the move) I can't think of any more shoulder wrap variations, if anybody has more, please do tell. And remember, these are not just different ways of starting a shoulder wrap, they are also different ways of finishing them!

Asymetric SNES:

First the easy cut-downs: Neck wrap to shoulder wrap. (Or why bother with the first shoulder wrap?) The more fun cut-down, shoulder wrap to neck wrap. This feels a bit odd, but it can be quite nice. This obviously leads to: Har har! Watch me orbit my neck with a staff! Do a shoulder wrap to neck wrap, catch the staff and pop it back on the other side of your neck and complete the move: ie neck wrap to shoulder wrap. What jolly fun!

Next the super fast turny variant. Do the shoulder to neck bit, thes instead of letting it come off your other shoulder, turn very fast. This turn should be in the direction of the shoulder your put the staff on first. (usually my left, so I turn to the left) This is a 360 turn, and keep your left arm straight. The end result should be that the staff doesn't go onto your right should but instead rewraps your left arm, (sometimes in a vertical steve style) and you can catch in your left. (and start the whole move again! yay!)

Horizontal Variations: You could probably do all these moves, but horizontally. (don't quote me on that.) But for sure, the btb shoulder wrap to throat wrap to shoulder wrap is a definately well known horizontal move. I'm not sure what the other vertical variations would equate to when done horizontally, so answers on a postcard to....

Things to do after SNES: Jump up and down with joy! Or do a halo roll (you need to turn) And hey since you can do a halo roll, you can do everything that has the same starting position as a halo roll, and everything that joins a halo roll? Holy smoke, think of the possiblities batman!

On a final note, sorry for such a long winded post.

tongue wave beerchug grouphug soapbox footinmouth

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
wrap your face!
bite the staff
go on
bite it

biggrin

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, don't forget chin wraps, moustache wraps, eyeball wraps and forehead wraps biggrin

(Only half joking - I've seen a lovely move which starts with both arms out horizontally, the staff walks in helicopter plane down to the right shoulder, gets carried on the upper lip to the left shoulder and walks on to the left hand. Only ever seen one person do it though...)

And my current favourite entry for this is grabbing the staff in my elbow and then swinging it through onto my shoulder - don't know if this is the same as knox's elbow lock that meg was chatting about confused

I've had occasional (read: accidental) success with doing a head wrap without bowing my head - I think you need to start with your hand towards the opposite end of the staff than normal, so that the centre of rotation is high when it gets over your shoulder. And then you need someone to pick you up off the ground and guide you around untill the concussion double vision goes away wink

monkeys ate my brain

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

And my current favourite entry for this is grabbing the staff in my elbow and then swinging it through onto my shoulder - don't know if this is the same as knox's elbow lock that meg was chatting about confused

I think it is. You don't do it enough for me to call it dave's elbow lock, sorry... biggrin

No monkeys for you dave!

Plus Andre's weird out of plane thing is a variant of this, but it's out of plane, and I'm not good enough to do out of plane moves yet. frown biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Next the super fast turny variant. Do the shoulder to neck bit, thes instead of letting it come off your other shoulder, turn very fast. This turn should be in the direction of the shoulder your put the staff on first. (usually my left, so I turn to the left) This is a 360 turn, and keep your left arm straight. The end result should be that the staff doesn't go onto your right should but instead rewraps your left arm, (sometimes in a vertical steve style) and you can catch in your left. (and start the whole move again! yay!)

isnt that a shoulder-neck-shoulder-halo?

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Nope.

A shoulder neck shoulder halo, (or super nintendo halo) goes across the back, this one happily rotates on the shoulder and pimps it's little self back over to the left arm. A SNES-halo would finish... on the left also. confused Well this is different, a SNES-halo is slow and easy (and should finish with you facing in the opposite direction), this is slightly more tricky and fast. (now I think about it it could be a SNES-halo, but with an extra turn to face the direction you started when the staff is on the left shoulder) If my monitor hadn't exploded, I could show you, but it exploded, so I can't.

frown

biggrin

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... if you turn left super fast when the staff is on your left shoulder, the staff can half fishtail on that shoulder rather than going over the neck. if you keep on turning super fast another 180o, itll do the same, then you can roll it back down the left arm.

i think if it goes over the neck, i think it must halo? not sure. brain not functioning.

regardless, its a lovely writeup. biggrin

super nintendo? ubblol

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
oooooh nostalgia for the jesus. i remember when i loved it so much i managed a proper 900. those were the days, when i still played with a stick.....

*grumblegrumblemoanmoangrumble*

i'll show you whippersnappers at graz and ejc

*hobbles off with zimmerframe*

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
In other news: Me and mo-seph decided that the super fast turny variant wasn't doing a full neck wrap, it gets onto the back of the neck, but then the turny-ness comes into play and it never reaches the other side... (Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!) Then it usually rolls all the way down the arm. (Unless you have superman control.) ubbangel

Woo! I'm a whippersnapper! biggrin

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
not a whappersnipper then?
smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
sometimes I am a ruffian, sometimes a rapscallion, never a hooligan and now a whippersnapper, but I always scamper.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
one variation I do is from sns, turn like I'm going into a halo, but catch behind the back. When I first started, I wasn't able to twist my wrist enough to keep it spinning in the same direction so it stopped spinning. Dunno how to explain that one, but it does come with time. Pretty simple, but I'm still nu(and haven't progressed much since my fave contact stick broke frown )
I did get the horizontal version of this down before it did break, no interesting variations to share, with the exception of going all the way around the neck before onto the other shoulder, easier to do horizontally than vertically.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."