Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Doubles parallel to uh, perpendicular formation

Login/Join to Participate

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
Hey. Get what I mean? Basically I'm trying to find good ways to go from 1fwd 1rvs to both spinning fwd (or reverse), be it in phase or out of phase by 180, and also from perpendicular back to parallel.

The only reasonable way I have found to do this is the go from parallels to both in the one hand (have them spinning right next to each other then grab them both with one hand, this looks good and is a good way to convert back to both staves in one hand smile ), and then do some moves where you have both hands grabbing both staves like you would one staff, then separate back into both fwd spinning infront of your body, slowly edgeing them outwards until they are spinning perpendicularly.

That was a messy description, and looking at it the staff join up seems unnecessary :P. In short, it isn't a good conversion in my opinion because you dont keep the staves planar, which isn't as nice smile, and I guess couldn't be done that fast due to high moments of inertia in fast spinning. So basically I was just wonderring if anyone had a nifty way of doing this conversion, be it doing a throw and spinning your body around.

I just can't visualise it being possible, as if you DO keep both staffs in the same plane spinning parallelly, then one of them would need a significant shift to be spinnign the other way. Sorry for the waffling footinmouth .

- Klaymen

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
Two techniques I use are

- stopping one staff (especially in some nice poncey shaolin pose smile ) and then restarting it in the other direction. Bringing it to a rapid stop and then quickly backwards can be quite good - as if it was bouncing off an invisible wall.
You can probably also do some kicks, but I've not tried that. Also stopping both staffs and restarting in whatever direction you feel like.

But I don't really like *having* to stop.

The other thing I do is a 90 degree turn. This puts the staffs into side plane, and then you can twist their planes into wall plane in either direction. Plane nazis will probably burn down my house for suggesting this, but it works for me biggrin

monkeys ate my brain

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
Hehehe yeah. I think shifting planes or stopping the staves is unavoidable, thinking about it more. But, I do like the idea of stopping the staff(s) in some type of shaolin pose, that could work quite well.

- Klaymen

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Depending on their length, a simply stop is to catch the middle of the staff under your armpit, pause for a dramatic second, catch the second one under the other armpit, pause for a dramatic second, then raise them both high in the air and start the new moves.

If you do it several times during a set, people get used to it as the indication you are about to change tacks and do some funky new stuff, and short, familiar breaks is a perfect way to keep people interest, especially the "its only circles, after all" critics... smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Ground taps or body taps work for me smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There's many variations back and forth from follow to opposite time along these linges but try throw one staff and turn 180 degrees before catching it again. You can also swap hands with the stick you haven't thrown for the craic too if you like. smile

EDIT: This is not true redface
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1087224226)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
I thought about doing some type of throw then turning 180 degrees, but if you keep really planar (which I prefer) then this still won't work =/, because the staffs will still be spinning the same way the were before the throw. I guess I'm pretty nit-picky trying to find the perfect conversion ;P, but I'm cool with stopping and making a dramatic martial arts pose with one or both sticks stopped.

- Klaymen

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
There is no plane breaking here what so ever.

When you turn 180 the direction of the staff reverses. Because one of them is in the air as you turn only one reverses direction because the other one's in the air. Meaning that when you catch it your exactly where you want to be.

EDIT : AGain this is not true ooooops
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1087224337)

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
But unless you stop one and start it again the other way, they're still both going the same way...

So you can go from both forward to both backwards, but not from both forwards to one forwards and one backwards.

Or are you stopping the staff as you turn? confused

monkeys ate my brain

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Funny I was sure that was possible but I must've been confusing myself. Having drawn pictures for the last hour I see that annouyingly the sticks are always spinning in opposite directions regardless of where the body is or which hand they're in.

I was thinking that you can reverse stick directions by swapping hands and also by turning 180 degrees and that combined this whould put you into follow time. I see now this is impossible but I was sure I'd done this. I'll have a play this evening and see if I'm stalling a staff or just using imagination ubbangel

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
biggrin The thing that made it clear for me was imagining the sticks spinning without a person there - no matter what you do to them in plane, they're always going to be going the same direction. Although there might be some funny isolation-ey things like the figure-8 discussion in the poi thread the other day.

I did used to have some cunning ways for changing direction without stopping, but it basically involved stealthily shifting the plane - if you can shift plane by 180 degrees, the staff's going the other way. I'll try and have a play with these today, and see if I can come up with anything useful... (And post it anonymously, so the plane police don't catch me biggrin )

monkeys ate my brain

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeah that's how I visualised it to mo-seph. If you keep planar, the direction of the axis on which the staffs are spinning will never change, and the movements are just shifing the axis around while keeping it pointing the same direction.

The best way to go from parallel to perpendicular while keeping the sticks spinning involves plane shifting, but you can just bring the staffs next to each other (in front of you), so that way you just shift their planes 90 degrees each in opposite dirs so the shift relative to each other is 180 degrees. This way you dont have to shift a single staff the entire 180 degrees.

- Klaymen