Forums > Social Chat > Bobo is now in Germany!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
As some of you may know from a previous post, I'm going on an exchange to Germany.

I got that news in the beginning of April. They told me that I would get my host family in a month or so.... So here I am a month later, and I GOT MY HOST FAMILY!!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

*jumps around screaming giddily* I can't believe this is happening!!

Okay, so it's in Remscheid, and I'm going attend Roentgen-Gymnasium (highschool, as I"m doing grade 11 there). I leave in July, although the school year starts in September, but I have an intense three-week tutorial in another place before that. And I don't know where that "other place" is, so I guess I'll find out later.

Anyways, Remscheild's domestic airport is Dusseldorf (under 40km away), western Germany.

The family has a father and mother, both middle aged, and two children, their daughter is 18 and their son is 20. A bit old, I guess. Not really, my brother is 18 ^_^

They like bycicle tours, visiting friends and family, trekking, dancing, cooking, skiing, and painting! (I'll show up and go "Poi? Poi? Poi?" tongue )

OOooooh! I'm sooo excited!!! But I have to learn German, and I have.. a month and a half?! Eep...

If anyone knows any info on that area, do share!!

~ Bobo

EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1094396718)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Wow! Cooool! You'll have a great time, and an experience of a lifetime!!

Perhaps you can get software that can teach you German??

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Oooooh Coooool you've got a family!!!! clap bounce bounce2 ubbrollsmile clap

Remember, dreads when you get back NOT before you leave. wink

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yeah Gidg... I'll be enough as a shock as it is, I don't think having dreads would make it much better frown They look like a very happy well-to-do family, and I think I'll take a while to... er, grasp ubblol

*looks down at baggy bright orange pants and pink floyd t-shirt*

Eheheheh ^^; weavesmiley

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
ubblol I'm not sure who will have more of a culture shock. You or the family. ubblol

hug hug wave wave

Gidg

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
YAY!!!!!! good luck!, hmm a month to learn a new language, practice making grunting noises, well, youll probaly learn the language really well after living their for a while, the germans are pretty cool, beware though, german hip - hop is, well, special

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:

I'm learning German at this time as well, and found a great program that helped me learn... unfortunately I didn't buy the full version. It's approximately $500? Maybe $700 with the final lessons as well.

The Rosetta Stone
It got me to learn basic German, and my girlfriend's family/friends are German so I can learn some from them. Also I have a German exchange student sitting next to me in French class ^_^ So I'm learning German in French class.

I am extremely jealous, Bobo. I totally wish I was in your place. Have fun in Germany!

Tschus,
Kinudin

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
You'll learn German, well the basics it's not as hard as you think and most of the words are similar

Otherwise

CONGRATULATIONS BOBO!!!!!!
bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile hug bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce bounce2

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Go to the library and grab some language CDs. Pimsler isn't bad. I have some others lying around here somewhere.. unfortunately I am a lazy ass and probably couldn't get them burnt and off to you in time.
K, words of wisdom from Patrick... never tell a german that they are just the dutch with their brains shot out. Punches hurt just as much in German, ya know! tongue

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
SheiBeKopf - $hithead
Fic dich - fuk you
Mutter ficcer - *cough* well yeh you can kinda guess that one
and once i knew how to say 'can you scratch my sweaty balls?' but i forgot that one....dang it.
Remember - just pretend your hacking up a phleme(sp?) ball and your pronounciation will be fine!
Good luck with your host family! hug Do you like sparkling water? bad luck if you don't! thats the only water they drink. I found if you take the top of and leave it go flat over night it almost tastes like normal water in the morning. I went to get a glass of water from the tap and they started shouting things at me in german

hug

Aimz xx

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
aimee - if you specifically ask for 'schtilles wasser' they give you tap water. That's what Vestia and I experienced in our stay in Germany.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Patrick - I already have a program (5 disks... the dictionary on it is total shite though >.<) and a book with CD. It's so funny, because I sit in my room on the computer chatting, and repeating this CD until I'm going to kill it (it gets boring, what can I say? tongue)

This is the website to the school I'm going to! And here are some pictures of it. It looks very pretty! Although, not very big umm thenagain, my school is rather large!

But it got better lastnight when my dad came home, and I showed him on the map where I'm going to, and it's going to be... a 20 minute drive fromTobi! Tobias, our Uni student who came to live with us for six months last year! We're sooo going to hang out!! I can't wait, we have to call him biggrin I'm soooo excited!!!

Hmm, yes Gidg, they have a computer, it was in one of the pictures they sent me of them (flat screen *drools*) but no idea if it's connected to the internet... Hopefully!! I'm definately going to have internet access at least once a week to survive!! eek

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
yay, you cant stop posting just cause your in Germany, we'd miss seeing the little orange block that is your avitar all over the place, ive got a friend - ish type person going to Germany this summer, have to see if he'll be anywhere near you so you can beat him up for me wink the good bit here is that the german boys are coming here ubblol

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Bobo, you are going to have an amazing time. I'm so jealous!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Congratulations...I remember beofre going on my exchange when I got my first family papers...the feeling was so great!

I hope you have got a great family...and that you enjoy yourself immensely...

Don't worry about the language too much because, trust me, when you get there you will pick it up quicker and better.

I learnt a bit of Indonesian before going on my exchange but that didn't help at all. When I was thrown in I found that what I had learnt was VERY formal and I wasn't pronouncing it correctly.

When I was thrown it an Indonesian school I very quickly picked up the language and culture it was great!

I still to this day speak fluent Indonesian.

Have lots of fun....going on exchange will change your life!!!!!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
So got a call from the head office of Nacel, the company sending me, and they've changed my departure date, due to a change in a part of the program.

SO, now I'm leaving on Septermber 3rd (approximately). And I got the flight itenerary:

03 September Depart Halifax 08.20 Arrive Detroit 10.20
03 September Depart Detroit 16.10 Arrive Amsterdam 05.55 (+1)
04 September Depart Amsterdam 07.00 Arrive Dusseldorf 07.55

Oy, quite a bit of that early in the morning. Not to mention 6 hours waiting in the Detroit airport >.<

But oooh, I'm getting soooo excited!!! biggrin:D:D

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ooh! but you get to go to Amsterdam! ubbloco

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

OnionGOLD Member
30 posts

Posted:
have fun bobo!

im an exchange student too, Australian living in sweden, and I knew very little swedish before I came... I've been here 5 months and its quite better (not brilliant, but better, anyway.)

Advice for learning the language...

- If you're keen, learn some before you go, as you are doing now biggrin (how are germans with english? the swedes are really good. and everyone has a different accent. heheh)

- When you arrive in Germany, try to never speak english unless you absolutely must.

- Even after 5 months I still sound like an idiotic foreigner when I speak swedish. Dont be discouraged! Everyone sounds like that at the start. But if you persist, you will earn a lot of respect.

- Watch Komissar Rex whenever its on, its the best Austrian tv show ever (and im assuming austrians speak german confused) As a matter of fact, that goes for everyone. I think its in most countries. With appropriate subtitles, of course.

- After a couple of months, read a novel. Its very helpful. you come across new words and if you have a dictionary next to you, you can slowly work through it. Something you're semi familiar with works well, Harry Potter is always awesome, of course.

if you have any further questions, just ask, I might also be able to find a couple of exchange students in germany for you to talk to as well, if you want. biggrin

best of luck for THE experience of your lifetime!

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, quick update about my family.

They sound absolutely charming! I've been talking to the daugter on ICQ, and we're going to have an amazing time!!

First off, I've been invited to go skiing in the Alps on Christmas!!!! Everyone here is veeery jealous of that!!

Also, Doro (Dorothee), get this, unicycles!! and during her exchange to NZ, she saw maori spin poi, and she thought it was rather odd that I was spinning poi in Canada, but wants me to teach her anyways tongue

Once again, I'm being surrounded by pharmacists!! My dad's a pharmacist, and we have students from across the world come to study and learn from him (pharmacy students), and now my host father is a PHARMACIST! I'm surrounded no matter where I go! tongue

The mom was a bank clerk, but now works for the dad's pharmacy ubblove

I'm getting put back a year though, because of my age, but I"m okay with that, and for a third of the year I'm going to be attending a Uni course on German for foreign students, so I probably won't get any credits for doing this, not that I care!!

Umm... everything sounds to be within walking distance, like where I am now, so that's really cool smile

Also, they're cool with dreads!! I'm never gonna want to leave!! And I want to go there noooowwww!!!!! *whines*

ubbrollsmile

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
AWESOME!!!!!! skiing in the alps! bobo, you do realise that you are curently making many enemies!!!!!

apparently, if i get accepted to romania, i wont find out my host family until i get there! what a scary thought!!!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Sounds absolutely fantastic! and with dreads too!

You are going to have so much fun.

Gidg

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
31 days and counting! My host sis and I are already great mates over e-mail, and have an ongoing joke about dancing in the kitchen to music, and the song Barbie Girl.

*cough*

A month to go! Man, gotta get my stuff together soon!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Yip, 3 days left. I guess I should start packing soon... Hmmmmmm, I still have all of today and tomorrow! *dances about*

Any last minute advice - say now! biggrin

ubbrollsmile

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wonder if Germany knows what its in for??? tongue wink

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Have fun, stay warm, and take lots and lots of weekend detours...

As far as packing, don't worry about it too much. There's this wonderful shopping town somewhere outside of Dusseldorf (that is where you are going, right?) called Wuppertal where you can get anything you might have forgotten and then some.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Ref. :

Written by: Gidg

I'm not sure who will have more of a culture shock. You or the family.

Oh, and list of hoppers to try to meet in the next year:

~ Vanize

~ Mot

~ Nephtys

Any others to add? These three are the only one's I've talked to so far smile

~ Bobo
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1093972503)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Hey OrangeBobo,

I am originally from a small town near Duesseldorf. What can I tell you about living in Germany? Mmmhhh..... ubbidea Well, NEVER order a Koelsch beer in Duesseldorf - order Alt! Koelsch is a beer from Cologne and those two cities have this funny rivalry going on for several years now. Mmmmhhh... loads of brilliant shops and a very posh shopping mile.... Remscheid? I don't know loads about that... Mmmh.... Well I guess the beer thing is definitely the most important one if you wanna survive in that area... ubblol

"I see," said the blind man.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Hmm, that'll be a good one to remember, seeing as I turn legal drinking age there in October! But my dad's forbidden me to drink confused Can't see why he'd say that :rolleyes:

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
You know Bobo, the "Daddies Little Girl" thing. You are going to have sooooo much fun.

Gidg

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Heheh, yep. I think I'm going to secretly save up, and somehow manage to get a return flight to London or something.. spend a week there before I go home devil

Thenagain... I could probably get the money to get there, and get back, and that's about it. ._.

ANd in the most likely of cases, I won't make it there! (And I think my dad forbids that too... )

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

FruleinFireotographer on Hiatus
284 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's the point of your life where you really grow up wink One of my friends - she was very shy and all - went on a exchange to America and when she came back she was literally "exchanged" - self-confident with blazing red red hair and a butterfly on her ankle smile

"I see," said the blind man.

Page: