Forums > Social Discussion > useful free software for faster page loading

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's a nice bit of software I got from Tudogs: -

https://www.geocities.jp/baryonlee/noflash/

it not only stops flash animations, but you can set it up to block GIFs (eg smilies), JPEGS and a host of other stuff (full info about what it can do is on the page linked to above)

Even better, you can enable/disable it with single click.

It's free.

Most mornings I like to make a quick sweep through my e-mails and HOP/unicycle.com/PIP forums, and generally it's a bit tedious waiting for the thread pages I'm interested in to load- with noflash enabled only the bits of the pages I'm interested in (ie the text) loads, and it does so a LOT quicker.

I'm not going to vouch 100% for any free software, but I've been using this a couple of weeks and it seems fine- definitly makes using the net more pleasant and productive.

(I'm on dial-up, and this software is probably of interest mainly to other dial-up users)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
If you want *really* fast browsing, you could check out links (https://links.sourceforge.net/) which is text only wink

monkeys ate my brain

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Can't you just turn off graphics in Internet Explorer?
Has the same effect I believe....

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
You can, but it's a more tedious affair that involves going into the security settings menu several layers down- takes 5 or 6 clicks to get there.

If, like me, you occasionaly need to allow images (one reason would be that many forums these days use images rather than text for reply buttons etc) 5 clicks to get them, then another 5 to disable again, is not good

With 'Noflash' it's a single click to toggle on/off.

And it's got a drop down list of check boxes to specify exactly what kind of stuff you want it to block.

Over several years surfing I have investigated the other options and found them seriously lacking, I'm recommending this bit of software purely because it does what it's supposed to do, and does it well smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Makes sense to me smile

Plus I don't think my IE suggestion would stop Flash...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

borismcnorrisprofessional pedant
137 posts

Posted:
Written by: mo-seph

If you want *really* fast browsing, you could check out links (https://links.sourceforge.net/) which is text only wink

ubblol Links rules. I think everyone should use it. you can have coloured text and everything!

There's too many pictures on the internet anyway wink

A warrior always returns to the fray. He never does so out of stubbornness, but because he has noticed a change in the weather - Paulo Coelho

TwirlyShoryuken!
233 posts

Posted:
Thanks Dave, that is indeed echellent.