joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
for about 1 month now i've had a set of meteors, simple 2 m long string with tenis balls,
i've kinda be neglecting my practising, but i havent rly seen many video's with meteors and up 2 now i've noticed that passing it front the front to behind your back is quite difficult and not so smooth + cant be done with as much "flow" lets say
so i was wondering: is it just me? or are moves with meteors more limited than with normal poi weavesmiley

it must be green

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
make em heavier..helps a bit..but yeah, can be passed btb very smoothly, lookit One wheel daves vid, very smooth there, n I know other meteor spinners who do it well also. Just takes practice, mebbe a new way of looking at the tool, cuz it's a different tool, not just poi that are connected.

i said tool redface leest I didn't say how good it felt stroking it into the air ubblol

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubblol good job you didn't say that eh! wink

Yeah Daves meteor vid is ace and was a big help to me. If only I'd spent as much time on meteors as I did on socks this spring!

Look through the vids section and you'll find a cople, there's also some linnks in the old forum through the button at the top of the screen but basically yeah, there's hardly any decent meteor vids out there frown

Let's relight this forum ubblove

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
You are limited alittle with meteors. Though you can do REALLY nifty wraps, you can shorten and legthen them easy, and do staff type tricks with them. At least with shoe string and glow sticks I havent tried it with chains and fire. Hope that helps

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Some moves are limmited coz in poi terms they are conected but this is where you can start to think in staff terms instead. You can also use two sets of meteors as quad poi or for something different play around with contact style moves (much easier than contact poi)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
It's definitely hard to find good meteor vids. The three water meteor kids in Cirque du Soleil's Varekai is definitely the best I've found thus far. There's a number of things you can do with them, but you need to think more in terms of staff and rope dart than poi. Anyway, here's my youtube meteor playlist link:

https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2F0598D6F3042ACA

I'll see if I can find further items to throw in there. If you know of any other decent youtube meteor vid links, please let me know.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
that was ace, thanks smile
I meteor is short for 'meteor hammer' the ends are meant to be very heavy, otherwise the rope wont pull straight, tennis balls are definitely not enough..

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
correction, they are just enough, but it makes it harder thelighter the ends are.

I can metior my scarf by tying two knots in the ends... ubblol

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
loony smile

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Meteor and Meteor Hammer are two different things. The Meteor Hammer is actually a heavy ended Rope Dart. There are two types of rope dart, one has a smaller pointed end with a longer rope which is used for dart-like strikes. The other has a heavier ball end with a shorter rope which is used for blunt force strikes. The latter is the meteor hammer.

For examples, check out my rope dart playlist. To check out all my youtube play lists, go to my main page and click on the playlist link:
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=suibom

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
meteor hammer isn't the same as a ropedart, it has two (most often spherical) weights, one on each end of the line, and the rope is shorter.

where have I heard of something like that before.... ;o)

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I'll semi-concede the point. Mostly because I haven't been able to find much information on the double weighted Meteor that is used like a staff and poi. Here's a definition of Meteor Hammer:

Written by:

The meteor hammer is derived from a kind of hunting weapon of remote times. It consists of either a five-metre-long rope with one hammer at one end, or a two-metre-long rope with one hammer at each end. The hammer is made of bronze and is as big as a duck's egg. A skilful performer can have the rope wrap around his/her neck, chest and back, shoulder and elbow, wrist, legs, feet or waist before unwrapping it to release the hammer with a powerful jerk of the body. In this way, the hammer shoots forth quickly like a meteor, making a deadly impact on the target.

This style of Meteor Hammer is a type of rope dart, regardless of the double weights. The above quote is from here:
https://en.olympic.cn/china_oly/wushu_art/2003-11-27/19272.html

Supporting videos:

Now, the thing I simply call Meteor may have been derived from the Meteor Hammer, but it's movement method is very different. All uses of it I have seen are more similar to staff and poi than the striking and open knot use of rope dart. If you can point me to more info, or relay it as you know it, on the history of the Meteor (as I have described it's use) then please let me know smile. I figure it's just a showy/performance derivative of the double weighted Meteor Hammer, but I'd definitely be interested in a more concrete history.

Peace,
- Sui

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
both of those video's are the 5 meter variety.

I'd not until today seen they do also call a single meteor hammer a meteor, I'd only seen the two headed ones before.

Either way I'll call an identical piece of equipment that equipment, it doesn't matter how different people, or groups choose to manipulate it.

staff style spinning of a meteor doesn't lend itself to martial arts use well, appart from the horizontal spin perhaps, so the shorter meteor is used by the chinese pretty much in the same way as juijibian, or the shorter range ropedart tricks.
I have no doubt some, and certainly the kids in the Chinese circus schools, would have picked it up and started experimenting with it to form the style used in circ du solei etc.

Cwaynewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Check out this vid of Dee:

There's other good vids of poi and meteor in his youtube profile.