Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Burning Man: 8/30 - 9/6 Black Rock City, Nevada

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Easy question: wink

Who's going!? biggrin peace

*gasp* for those who don't know, Burning man is a huge festival which started of from very humble beginings in 1986 on Baker Beach, San Francisco with 20 people attending.

It rapidly grew and since 1991 has taken place in Black Rock Desert, nevada on the western US. coast.

Last years celebrations saw over 30,586 people attend from all over the world. eek

Burning man is one of the most exciting events in the entire festival calender, with live music, hundreds of fire performers from all over, art cars, naked pixies, dust storms, booze, themed villages and magic times.

..... biggrinAnd generally supertanker sized buckets of fun biggrin.....

Dates are 30 Aug to 6th Sep.

Further info can be got from here--

Code:
https://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

Come with us, Step up a level and take a look around.....

Martin

EDITED_BY: flash fire (1083271767)

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
me ubbrollsmile

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Not this year frown

It sucks only getting two weeks vacation each year. Europeans are so lucky with their 6 weeks. The things I could do with that much time...

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i get 20 days vacation a year, so thats only 4 weeks. i wish i had more.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
moving this across to the EPG forum... pretty please edit to include date and (for those of us living under rocks) the city and country of this event.

merci!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
yeah, I only get 20 days off as well - until I've been working here like 5 years.

still, that's double what I got in the states!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Quote:

pretty please edit to include date and (for those of us living under rocks) the city and country of this event.

doesn't everyone know when and where burningman is???
wink

-v-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Not everyone knows... but I've hung up my EPG badge. It would be nice to have dates and locations in the title but whatever... It's going to be tough for me to make it to Burningman this year.

frown

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tau neutrinoPLATINUM Member
35 posts

Posted:
hey guys,

last year was the most recent year i went.. and this year i am doing something different. i live in singapore. and i want to bring a group up from singapore to black rock yeah baby yeah..! anyway it should be nearly impossible for someone living not in the USA to make arrangements to burn well. especially if they have never been..(what do you mean i need 15 gallons of water?) so i am arranging an RV from SF to bman. i am primarily targetting my friends in singapore but who knows who else i will meet. if any of the overseas/asian burners want to join me well...email me or something and we will see if we can work it out.

i am also bloggin my prep for the burning man tourgroup...have look at my blog..

BLOG

and we should all meet again on the playa...:) you call tell its me coz i will playing with fire biggrin

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Happy, NYC? ubblove

But can't you just come for a few days??????

hug

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I was there last summer and had a Blast!! I am going to buy my tickets soon, Last summer I waited and had to pay alot more than I could afford, But it was all worth it!! wink

I went with the El Circo group and bounced around. Got to spinn fire on stage with Forest and Other Amazing Fire Dancers... Saw the most Beautiful Sun Rises with new fire friends, and great treesomes with beautiful fire girls!! biggrin It is defineitly an Experiance one should see... I suggest going all 7 days and watching it grow! It is amazing how many people show up and how they do it. Saw many folks sky dive into the place... (Probably less expencive to do so, once your in, You'e in... have someone elts bring your stuff in, and meet them at center village... Its easyer than trying to sneek in through the desert, and a hell of alot more exilerating!! ubblol)

Burnning Man is about 2 hrs north of Reno, NV. way out in the desert. You can get to their web site here www.burningman.com

See you all there!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Really, really want to go again this year! Had a fantastic time last, all depends on my financial situation when I get home later this year. A year of travelling has taken it's toll frown.

Here's hoping
J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

WintermuteLost in the world but loving it :)
119 posts

Posted:
Um I would absolutely love to go to this butttttttttttttttttttttttttt nobody I know can afford it or get time off frown frown frown

Anybody going from merry old england who wants some random company?????

If fishes were wishes we'd all cast nets

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
You know, you CAN go alone ... I went by myself last year, and had the best year ever. I'm also going by myself this year. Promise - within an hour you will have more friends than you can count.

And if you really are a little shy to go by yourself, you can sign up for one of the volunteer groups and camp with them .... this year, I'm going to be a "greeter." I don't know anyone that I'm camping with - but that's what makes it so exciting - I'm looking forward to a whole new group of friends.
ubblove

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
actually whenever I go, I usually wind up not spending any time with anyone I knew before I got there.

-v-

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
ditto that .... /\
|

not to mention all the poi people that would love to meet you ....

weavesmiley

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm going this year!

I think we should have an OFFICIAL HOP GATHERING at BRC.

Say, 7:00 PM on Thursday, 300 meters away from the Man in the direction of 3:00.

Or something like that.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
biggrinubbrollsmileYES! ubbrollsmile biggrin

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I've already got my tickets! This will be my 5th in a row! Last year I got to spin at the man, went to the HOP gathering but didn't know anybody...

Honestly, Burning Man is not just about fire spinning -- there's just TOO MUCH else going on to really spend much time on spinning (and if you know me and my obsession with spinning poi, you'd know why this is odd)... So I was disappointed in terms of fire last year. Nontheless, we spun fire almost every night at Hookahdome, plus I met a bunch of other great spinners there.

Top tip #1: If you want to see great fire spinning, don't sign up to spin at the man... you'll be so busy performing that you miss out on everyone else's performances.

Top tip #2: Crimson is requiring all those performing during the burn to show up on Friday night for rehearsals this year... SO... catch a sneak peek on Friday night!

Top tip #3: No expectations! Don't over plan... let things happen. 5 minute trips to the bathroom become 3-hour adventures!

Orbit

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
Orbit,

Hey, been a long time - missed you at the last Santa Cruz regional beach burn at RWB. Anyway, just wanted to say that I had one of the best nights spinning with you at Hookahdome and definitely plan to do it again since Mikie B. will be warping our minds with some good tunes again. Will be seeing you out on the playa soon enough!

peace
mtn girl

The experience of learning is living.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Worked last year. Tuesday night at the man, maybe 60 or 70 HoPpers turned up. Some of the best spinning I saw all week biggrin
Orbit, I remember you! You showed me the "circle of fire" start thingy the first night I was there. Stopped by the Hookahdome a couple of times after that, but didn't run into you again. Maybe this year? beerchug

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Y'all are getting me all excited about heading back to Black Rock City! I actually am not planning to camp with Hookahdome this year (there's a spin-off camp in a quieter neighborhood) but plan on spending a lot of time there.

Cyber Sprite - I'll be at the RWB event in June! Make Mike bring some tunes for us to spin by... some tribal ambient grooves perhaps...

Orbit

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i really want to go this year, but my fundage right now is having issues. so it may have to wait another year. but if i go i'm so gonna camp with you lightning! (says in a meek voice, "if that's ok.")

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pounce, as far as I'm concerned, you're welcome to camp with me, but I have to check it with my camp. Warning: our camp will be almost all Stanford alums. biggrin

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*bump*

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
looks at bank account

according to current finances, it doesn't look likely. frown

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
What and miss my grandparents golden wedding aniversary???? eek
mad2

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
How do I get there? What major city would I fly into? Vegas is about 550 euros.

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Reno, Nevada is the closest major city to fly into. Check the message boards at Burningman.com. They will usually have people looking for others to share a rental car with to drive out to the playa closer to the event.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I can get cheap flights into certain cities cause i'm under 26. Sadly Reno isn't one of them. frown

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Lots of folks fly into San Francisco also and then arrange to drive from there. Don't know if that is any cheaper for you to do, but it is further away.

It's quite a drive from Las Vegas as well...I'd say at least 10 hours, most of which is through nothingness...I think the drive from San Fran. is shorter.

Page: ...