PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
1,5 years before,me and 3 friends where playing in a summer night club(the 3 of us did not have experience we oly played 3 months)Suddently a man came with a torch and he said that he did firebreathing for 4 years I think.He asked if he could do that with us.We said yes, sure.(since the torch was his and we thought he said the truth).Morning came, and we packed our things and leave.Next day the guy that had the club,told us that the next day the person that did firebreathing was in the hospital and there was the possibility of death.His lungs...
When I found out, I felt very responsible.All the others did not.
this man actually made it,and he is fine.Is that our fault? rolleyes

The only thing constant in life is change...

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Ultimately? No, it's not your fault.

Fire breathing accidents can happen to the most experience fire breathers. It is a dangerous art, as Lightning's Fire breather's lungs thread shows....as Pele's story shows.

As an adult, the man knew or should have known the risks he was taking.

You agreed to let him play with you all, but ultimately, he is responsible for what happened to him. Perhaps, in the future, when someone asks to perform or play with you, it might be best to tell them no, not until you can see how experienced they are in a more controled environment.

I don't let anyone touch fire if I don't know who they are, or what their experience is if they ask me....or it's a gig I'm in charge of. Why? I don't want the responsibility or potential liability of that person. Mind you...I'm a hard @ss when it comes to fire safety.

I'm glad he's ok.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
no it's not your fault. Like Spit said it's his own responsibility, as an adult and as a performer.

Peace, don't feel guilt becuase of an unforseeable accident hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
However, if your fire spinning troupe was in charge of fire performances as well as fire safety, and the man burned the club down, then ultimately you are responsible. If I were you I'd resist letting anyone spin fire that you don't know if you're in a performance situation.

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
h,m,mmm its a tricky one.
where we spin up in notts we have people come by and ask to have a go and i dont mind lending people a pair of poi for a bit.
After all we want the group to grow and flourish dont we???
but always say 'yeah cool, just show me some moves with those tennis balls on strings over there before you set fire to anything' just to make sure that they can do poi and aint gonna hurt themselves.

bit tricky with firebreathing.... no tennis ball equivalent.
I think if someone came up to me and asked to fire breath id tell em to go away.
the fact he had his own torch and stuff though. well who knows.

but no i dont think its your fault either smile

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I dont think it is your fault, like it has been mentioned above he was an adult and he had his own torch. He may have been an excellent fire breather but just had an accident?

hug
ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
and if he wasn't an excellent fire breather then he was lying, and that's hardly your fault.

best to take more responsibility thanb you think is necessary and then you don't get caught out.

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Look, in this last year I have met literally thousands of patients from all walks of ilfe. And if I have learned anything, I've learned this:

You can't change people.

You can educate them, you can get them to agree that they need to change, you can teach them how to change, but you can't change them.

It's like smoking. Everyone here knows how bad it is for them. I've railed over and over about how bad it is for you. I've told horror stories about what happens to 95% of smokers over age 50 or so. I've shown both gross and microscopic photos of lungs from smokers. I've explained the pathophysiology. I've told people how to quit.

If everyone in the world stopped smoking today, I'd guess that 90-95% of pulmonologists (lung doctors) would be unemployed within 20 years. And yet pulmonologists don't seem to be particularly concerned because they know that in spite of their best efforts to dis-employ themselves by depleting their patient population, people will keep smoking.

The same is true of weight loss, poor diet, exercise, drug use, sleep, and even safety measures (which certainly applies to fire breathing!).

So once I've done my job, which is to discuss the risks and how to reduce the risks, it's not my problem anymore.

And it sounds like you did your job.

weavesmiley

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

h,m,mmm its a tricky one.
where we spin up in notts we have people come by and ask to have a go and i dont mind lending people a pair of poi for a bit.
After all we want the group to grow and flourish dont we???
but always say 'yeah cool, just show me some moves with those tennis balls on strings over there before you set fire to anything' just to make sure that they can do poi and aint gonna hurt themselves.

bit tricky with firebreathing.... no tennis ball equivalent.
I think if someone came up to me and asked to fire breath id tell em to go away.
the fact he had his own torch and stuff though. well who knows.

but no i dont think its your fault either smile

That makes sense- lets you see that they can spin ok without fire first.

For firebreathing I'd say 'no', regardless of whether they'd got their own stuff or how experienced they were.

As others have pointed out, fire breathing accidents can happen to the most careful and experienced people, and I don't want to be associated in any way with it.

As Lightning says, you can't change people (only educate them), but, if they're asking, you can say 'no'- it may also lead to some discussion which is useful as I've met a few breathers who had no idea that some serious accidents had happened to experienced people.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
In my university students make teams.There is football team basketball team,music bands, art team,and one year ago we made juggling team.The uni provides us money for buying what we need.(not much but enough)Every year the students of all islands(of our uni)gather in an island and all the teams perform.I mean the football teams play football the art teams show their work and the juggling teams go to parties or in the streets and just play...Since the majority of the students are from other islands, we do not know them.Last year while we were playing 2 guys came took poi and started firebreathing,without asking and they were drunk ubbloco some other came and played staff (real good i d say) and poi(absolutely perfect) biggrin We took the poi off the firebreathers(It was their first time...... they spit everywhere parafin,on my face too)
But they didnt give up.As we were playing they took our stuff and they continued.Then we left...In that kind of situations what can someone do????If someone got hurt Whould i be responsible?If Someone had a fight with them and beat the ****** out of them,whos fault would be?
To the other guys that played nice we absolutely couldn't say no.But if someone says I am a juggler may i borrow your poi?How am I supposed to know if he gives my poi to his friend who doesn't know to play?It is a very tricky situation.Lets say I do not give to anyone.This is not fair.Because if i were in their shoes I would like to play and I wouldn't say the best if the others didnt give me their poi.After all is a matter of unifying the hole matter of Juggling rolleyes

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Someone who just takes your toys to play with them without your perrmission is a tough one. Personally, if I couldn't control the situation or them, I'd pack my stuff and leave....that way they wouldn't have access to my fuel or toys.

I don't let someone I don't know play with my toys in an environment where there is fire play. I'll invite them to a non-fire practice, and see what they can do then, but I won' t let someone I don't know light up.

If someone asks to borrow my stuff, and I know them, I'll say sure, but I'll make a point that they don't lend out MY stuff to anyone else without asking.

Safety has got to be the first concern in any environment where you'll be doing fire play. If it's my practice or my gig, I won't let anyone I don't know play unless someone I *trust* can vouch for them, and even then, I'm wary.

If it's not my gig, and I'm not in charge, and I see unsafe practices, I'll raise concerns with those in charge. If they don't seem concerned, and I'm still nervous....I pack up and leave. Try to educate when you can, but don't preach. Unfortunately, I'm still learning the fine line between educating and preaching. Like I said...I'm a hard @$$ when it comes to safety.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

PsychoTronic(old)member
64 posts

Posted:
Maybe next time I will be a hard @$$ too.... mad2

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
in a word: No

In depth: anyone that firebreathes does so at their own risk. not knowing the dangers of doing so is no reason to go ahead and do it - ignorance isn't an excuse, and blaming you for their injury would be the lowest, dirtiest thing i can imagine.

So be guilt free!

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie