BreizzzeBabymember
2 posts

Posted:
I've kinda got bored of spinning poi and only play when in clubs or stuff and then its a case of when space allows, but all this hyperloop airwrap inverted backwards in reverse stuff is just confusing and at the end of the day how many of these moves actually LOOK different to the watchers. OK u know its different but does it look any different - experience tells me that 2bt, 3bt, 4bt, 5bt (haven't bothered with 7bt 9bt etc) all look the same when u watch them and actually look the same weather in reverse/backwards (however u want to phrase it) or forwards and only makes a difference if the watcher notices u have changed direction (and it is u not the poi after all) so whats the point of making it difficult when the idea is to look good. spank

without breizzze fire will not burn, without fire earth is cold and barren

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
lol, good point I suppose.

For me it's not about what other people think, it's the buzz I get from trying and trying and trying and then finally managing to do a new move without smacking myself in the back of the head! biggrin

NEVER eat anything you can't spell.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

.... then finally managing to do a new move without smacking myself in the back of the head!...

Thats odd. For me it was the forehead..

confused

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
depends if you're going backwards or not. wink

I think my best one was my second attempt with fire, got my poi tangled behind my back and was setting fire to my own backside.

My mates were yelling "drop them drop them!" took an age before I realised they meant the poi not my flaming pants. ubbloco

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
Should probably clarify that by "pants" I meant trousers as opposed to my underwear. eek

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I suppose it all depends on if you spin purely for it to look good to those watching really.
The main point in making everything difficult is to challenge yourself and then for a huge feeling of satisfaction when you nail a new really hard move.

Having said that, I've had people come up to me while I've been practising and specifially mention hyperloops, airwraps and isolations (although not by name, since they had no idea what the name was), saying that they look really good, so maybe some people can still spot the difference.
I suppose it also depends on the light levels where you're spinning, too dark and people definately wont notice small changes in what you're doing.

Also, I suppose some moves that don't look much different can lead onto some really nice ones that look incredably different.
For example, if you could only spin the weave forwards and not backwards, you'd be missing out on the fountain.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yes, 3,4,5 beat all look pretty similar when done staticly. However a lot of the point of being able to do these moves is to have more control of your poi and more options so that in the flow and dance of poi you can do more. doing an extra beat in a fountain, for example, means that you can alter the time the poi spend in one position and so change the timing of the poi or your position relative to them.

Isolations and airwraps can look amazing even to people who don't appreciate poi. Like all moves you have to explore ways to make them look more interesting.

If you can make immediate plans to go to the BJC next weekend, if ony for a day, to meet and see some of the best spinners and jugglers in the country.

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
what's an airwrap? umm

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
check out the first post (the rest is a bit silly) of [Old link] thread for loads of links about tangles, some of which are airwraps. biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
Thanks Oli!

*sigh*

It's all so confusing when you have no one to show you these things!

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
btw? How long you been spinning for? I mean is it that you've been poi-ing for years or just got fed up real quick?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I've kinda got bored of spinning poi and only play when in clubs or stuff and then its a case of when space allows, but all this hyperloop airwrap inverted backwards in reverse stuff is just confusing and at the end of the day how many of these moves actually LOOK different to the watchers. OK u know its different but does it look any different - experience tells me that 2bt, 3bt, 4bt, 5bt (haven't bothered with 7bt 9bt etc) all look the same when u watch them and actually look the same weather in reverse/backwards (however u want to phrase it) or forwards and only makes a difference if the watcher notices u have changed direction (and it is u not the poi after all) so whats the point of making it difficult when the idea is to look good. spank

The 2 bt, 3bt, 4 bt, s bt only look the same if you do them in the same way, once you start slowing the moves, sinking your weight and putting emphasis on their differences you'll find they all feel very different. As you progress, those differences will also be apparent to anyone watching.

As for them looking the same whether forwards or reverse, maybe so (though even here there's differences, for example the forward weave has a downwards energy whereas the reverse is upwards), but you need them both to be able to transition from one to another, and that transition is as interesting as the actual moves.

An example would be going from forwards weave to backwards, and back again.

As a beginner you just turn 180 degrees and your hands pretty much stay on the same level.

If, however, you learn to do the move real slow, widen your stance and follow the energy of the poi; you'll find yourself in a sideways on position with the poi dipping down as you go from forwards to back, arcing up into the reverse weave, then peaking and dropping down into the forwards weave again.

Suddenly you're making a big circle which looks and feels way better than just doing the turn. The more you emphasise, slow down and involve all your body, the more interesting it will be to watch and the better it's going to feel. Also, and this is only my opinion, it will have a beneficial effect on your health, both physical and mental.

If I wanted to do poi primarily to entertain/impress others and stayed at the level of just doing the individual moves with no emphasis on slowing, emphasising transitions and focusing on feel, then I would very quickly have got bored with it too.

As it is, despite having spun for around 5 years, and having done a lot of other skills stuff like juggling, unicycling etc, I find spinning more interesting than ever. It's a bit like one of those computer generated fractal patterns, the more you zoom in, the more there is to see.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Quote:

so whats the point of making it difficult when the idea is to look good. spank

many agreements with what has gone before... but mostly: the idea is not always to look good.

sometimes that's the most important thing. sometimes poi is/can be the most introverted thing there is.

start loving poi for itself and then you will maybe understand why to learn something unneccessary is very important.

biggrin
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Quote:

what's an airwrap? umm

Airwraps and Hyperloops

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
lol,

airwraps, isolations and 'reverse' spinning are some of the prettiest moves in poi, and the reason they are so revolotionary and everyone is doing em is becuase they look compleatly diffrent from anything else.

I totally agree about 5/7/9 beat weaves, they booring, i learnt the 5 when i first started and despite being able to do most things i never bothered with the 7 or anything. however reverse (or anti-spin) and isolations are seriously badass, and like nothing you seen before, plus they open up huge new areas of spinning.

T ;wave:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti