Forums > Other Toys > anyone tried the fire skippin ropes?

Login/Join to Participate

^^francesca^^me!
121 posts

Posted:
seen them on firetoys.com ....................Any good? peace

was hibernating through winter.....oh and summer i spose...ok im just lazy

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Yeah they aint to bad but apart from traditional skipping there isn't too much more you do with them .

Why don't you e-mail Bec or Moonpixie about them .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Simon Twistmember
29 posts

Posted:
They work well when combined with other equipment such as unicycles or balls. Hard though. umm

Puck Dallasmember
23 posts

Posted:
They work pretty good. I recomend finding out how tight the weave on the rope is first. It usualy is luck of the draw trying to find good tightly weaved kevlar rope. You can do just about anything I have seen with a normal jump rope and normal rope for that matter. It is a serious toy that can get wrapped around your legs and feet not to mention your hands can get burned if you aren't careful how you fuel it. It is possible to do some contact or wrap work but be weary. I also know people who get two people working from each end and use it for accent work giving it a osithiscope, or however it is spelled, like a stereo screen output. Which honestly looks really kewl.
EDITED_BY: Puck Dallas (1083083402)

the looney beanmember
45 posts

Posted:
has anyone tried double dutch yet ?

those who are possessed by nothing possess everything

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I had a go of the single person one the other week, they are quite dangerous, but really exciting at the same time. All I can do with skipping is forward and criss cross tongue

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
I reeeeeeally want one of thsoe. I skip rope while on my unicyle and that would just make it at least 15 times more exciting.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
When I was at a festival last year we where doing fire in a circle, and then a man would get out one of these ropes and do laps around the edge and everyone loved it and it did look great.

I would say get one smile

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
miss egyptology - we need videos

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
there's a bit of me jumproping in this one, it's adrillf and I messing around, with some of kael in there too, and then our first go with fire poi by the three of us. www.increasingentropy.com/video/UtahHOP.wmv
EDITED_BY: MissEgyptology (1115320000)

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
instead of buying one, which is ridiculously expensive, i wold buy some 1/2" kevlar rope and make you're own. pretty easy o make handles that have a swivel connection of some sort, and it will be heck of a lot cheaper than buying one...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
:dito:

makin one now

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
we have a home made one in our equipment bag... dont go near it tho.. the flames are huge, and i dont skip....

you dont just have to skip with it... certain poi moves can be done with impressive effects wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any video with one actually on fire? and doing skipping along with moves other than skipping? because i would be interestd to see some of the other moves, as well as to see how it looks lit..

fo

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
yeah that might make a cool video too

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

photonica2000BRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
there are a few people that are doing that here now for some time, they are hip hop girls that screw around with regular sash ropes soaked in colmon stove fluid in the back streets of miami, so far i havent seen any intelegent progress in that field here.

mostly they seem to be trying to get the attention of the top gangbanger by being dangerious, they dont seem to have an artistic intent.

Firewuffmember
26 posts

Posted:
Dont try regular cotton rope as half the time it is'nt 100% cotton. Had a couple of nutts trying it with SHELITE of all things and a pair of rubber gloves (heat resistant). First time it burnt through and wrapped around one of them, the second time it happened again but avoided the wrap (you think that they would learn!)

I've been toying with the idea of inserting a steel cable inside a cotton rope or kevlar rope to make it structurally sound and leave a gap at the end of the rope to the handle or cover the last 1/2 ft to stop the handles (ie my hands) burning too much.

"The company of those that seek the truth is
always preferable to those who think they have
found it"

Terry Pratchet
Monsterous Regiment

Fire-FalconGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
I would love to try out a fireskipping rope, seeing as its the only thing I'm good at.

Pete, if you have made one, I wanna use it!!! ...please

Stop aggrivating me! Just 'cause I'm in extinglish!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've had mine for a few years. Made it myself. Just make sure that you crimp the metal on the ends really well, so the rope doesn't come loose. Also remember to make it longer than a normal jump rope to give you slack and to help slow it down a bit because the additional weight can make them go fast which means the fire doesn't show as well.

Google Cirque Du Flambe. They've been using them for near a decade and do all the major circus style jumping with layers of people, ropes, acrobatics and such.

There are tonnes you can do with a jump rope. It is just like everything else...only boring if you do not push for something more.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
I had a portion of my ponytail stolen by one, they are so fun and can be a good thing to have for a little spinning break,

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
they must be brilliant to photograph..... well the once anyway. a mahousive circle of fire.... hmmmmm i supose if you cant skip you shouldnt relaly use one!!!

Cogito Ergo Sum