Forums > Videos > onewheeldaves new videos thread

Login/Join to Participate

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
As I seem to be posting a few vids these days I thought I'd start a thread and put all the new stuff in one place.

Start ing with these two: -

www.firedanceuk.com/videos/dave/threeballdave.wmv

and

www.firedanceuk.com/videos/dave/technicalpoi.wmv

Both largish files- 12.2 Mb and 14.1 Mb, but nice quality and work well in full screen mode. I'm very happy with them both; looking at them I can see some flaws and fudged moves, but, overall, they're good.

The first is a new 3 ball movie, 3 minutes of continuous, unedited footage- there's a drop towards the start which I left in to preserve the purity of the 'one take'. Soundtrack is 'Silence' by Delerium.

Second is 3 1/2 minutes of 'tecnical poi'; all the one hand and release based stuff I've been working on recently. Soundtrack is Kruger and Dorfmeister? with a remix of a Depeche mode track.

Whilst it would be naive of me to suppose that other people haven't come up with many of these moves, I think it's fair to say that even the most hard core spinners will see some stuff in here that they've not seen before (see breakdown below for a list of the moves).

I owe IMMENSE thanks to Tempest for these vids as he not only shot the footage and gave me nine hours on his computer to edit them, but has also supplied an upload space for them- Cheers Liam smile

I can't say how long they're going to be up for, if I make some new vids I'll probably take the old ones down to make room.

As always, feedback is sought after; good feedback provides incentive to make more movies, negative feedback (if well put) provides info on how to improve future efforts.

Hope you enjoy these two.

-------------

'Technical Poi'

Breakdown of moves.

These are the names I've been using for the moves, I've tried to name only stuff that I've not seen anyone else do, but I expect other people have come up with similar stuff and have their own names.

1. a Sequence of one hand butterfly moves

2. turning split plane butterfly

3. from one hand butterfly, a 'tap' with the free hand to convert it to a one hand figure eight

4. under the leg release straight into a one hand figure eight

5. turn into a reverse weave with releases

6. turn back into one hand figure eight, then, facing forward 'snatch' a poi and convert to a one hand butterfly

7. various weave releases, including releases from one hand into catches with the same hand

(fade)

8. with a one handed butterfly, a 'floor start' with second set of poi into 'doubles'

9. a 'UPR' (unplanned poi release) smile

(fade)

10. a 'death and resurrection' i.e. both poi caught one one arm in a draped fashion, with free hand grab the tails and pull into a one hand butterfly

11. 'tap' into a one hand behind the back pass

12. camera zooms in to a sequence of wraps

(fade)

13. the 'albatross' a consequtive double release sequence I've posted about elsewhere on the video section

14. 'augmented 5 beat' a move I've been doing a while now which I've not seen anywhere else; from a weave, get the extra beat by going into a partial one hand figure eight for 180 degrees turn of the poi, then take out with the free hand, back into weave, and repeat on other side.

15. more under the leg releases

16. 'orbits' i.e. one hand maintains a circle whilst the other continually releases and catches around it. I didn't realize how nice this relatively simple move looked until seeing it on the video

16. a 'two handed one hand butterfly' where the one hand butterfly exists for only one beat then the other hand takes it for one beat etc.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
Well yet again Dave a couple of real nice video's, If your at the Rotherham PIP i might have to abduct you to teach me a few of those throws biggrin i f you wouldn't mind that is.

Keep up the good work lookin forward to the next one

peace

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Technical Poi = wow. I'm blown away by your one handed abilities, clean as can be. your poi looks like a staff at times when you're split beat one hand weaving, especially with that crazy figure-eight looking staff move!

funkenSILVER Member
journeyman
92 posts

Posted:
ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco
realy nice skills
have to learn the staff like move thanks kiss

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Damn Dave. Some sick stuff in there. Loved the 1 handed 5 beat. Your juggling skills are amazing as well.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Glad you all liked them.

I've done a lot of meteor stuff which I guess helps with any one hand figure eight poi moves; it would be interesting to know whether they can be learnt as quickly with pure poi practice.

Main thing with both poi and meteors is to get the knack of being able to control each end independently, which is mainly an instinctive thing, but I've found it does help to be aware of the two contact points in the hand i.e. the little finger end and the thumb/index finger end.

Those two points effectively have to act like the two seperate hands do in a two handed figure eight.

As for the augmented 5 beat, I really like that move because it feels as nice to do as it looks.

Silver Shadow, hopefully I'll be at Rotherham PIP (though probably only for a short time) so I can show you some of the stuff.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the vidz Dave - your poi is very sweeet biggrin

Your one handed work deserves bowing down to eek

Thanx again for sharing beerchug

Strugz

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
cool coool videos... seem to play a little jerkily for some reason,
but i get the ideas...

lots of stuff for me too learn biggrin

peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Dave, thanks for these video's. I don't I've got so many idea for new poi moves in a long long time. Cool one that spring to mind is "under the leg release straight into a one hand figure eight".

I think the 3 ball vid was also very good and will take a few months (probably more) to digest....thanks again.

James

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
I think I dont have to tell you that those vids are really nice !!! eek
thx a lot for sharing your know-how beerchug

And for the feedback: The only thing that disturbed the flow in my oppinion was the passing of the one handed weave behind the back. You switched from split time to same time. Probably on purpose but in my oppinion it looks like a brake.
I would suggest to go on in split-time or directly pass both Poi into the other hand BHB like a meteor

one handed rulz - would love to meet you some time

andy wave

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

HighwaymanBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Well I finaly did it, I registered, couldn't stand it any longer.

I realy have to say thanks, dave. Your videos are inspirational. Your skills are amazing. You are entirely the reason I picked up meteors and why I'm looking into juggling. You have given so much and it saddens me that I only have my gratitude to give in return.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
hey dave, I just saw your videos, thaey are great man. I love the toss and catch stuff, and it is all so smooth smile

good job man

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Dave your're a star. Nice vid man, you're doing similar one handed stuff to me but then some!

Damn I wash I was as precise with my one handed throws, or my two handed to mention it! Any tips? By the way do you put weights in the handles or are they knots?

This is the first decent one handed vid I've seen.

props wow

Let's relight this forum ubblove

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
No weights or knots, they're just sock poi each containing 5 x 2 pence pieces; but they're very well stretched out by much use, so the part where they're held has become very well worn forming a natural, almost knob type handle.

For tips, all I can think of is loads of practice- a throw is a throw once you've got the basic action, after that it's working out ways to slot them into unusual and interesting places.

I've found the continuous orbit move, where one poi is constantly released and caught while the other hand maintains a circle, to be good for sharpening up single throws/releases. I also used it to successfully cure me of a long standing and hard to shift bad habit of putting in an extra circle when throwing from out of the weave on my right side.

You can see this early on in my video when I do a throw/catch from reverse weave- on the right side it's fine (reverse weave so the bad side is on my left here), but on the left I put an extra circle in. Probably most people wouldn't notice, but I was very aware of it, and the problem persisted till two weeks ago, despite trying everything I could think of.

In the end, it was by forcing myself to do continuous orbits on the right side till I could keep it going without the extra circle, then trying to transfer it to a single throw from weave, going back to continuous orbits, back to weave etc etc.

---------

Cheers everyone for the nice comments and feedback, it makes posting vids worthwhile smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I still haven't broke myself of the extra circle habit... ubbloco

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
As anyone attempting to dowload any of my movies recently will know, the place hosting them has been down; and it will probably continue to remain down for the forseeable future.

If anyones got copies already and would like to host them then send me a pm (ideally you'd have a site which doesn't have the issues that I've posted about on HOP, such as general innacessibility, failure to function for visitors with high security settings, unnecessary use of security risks like activeX, java, javascript etc etc)

Till then I'll maybe stick a few of them up on my small webspace as a temporary measure, starting with the very short-

https://www.davidpanther.plus.com/movies/aug_5_beat.wmv

which is an excerpt (one move) from 'technicalpoi'

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
...and I've just switched 'urban29.wmv' over: -

https://www.davidpanther.plus.com/urban29.wmv

this is not a spinning vid, it's a 8.5 Mb vid of my journey through the dark streets of Sheffield city centre at night, riding a big wheel unicycle, whilst being tailed by my friend Liam Tempest who I'd talked into taping his expensive digital movie camera to the bars of his mountain bike smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

dipsystranger
11 posts

Posted:
That augmented 5-beat looks really cool! In fact, I'm going to dig my poi out of my bag this very second and have a go...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
sweet five beat

love it

Love is the law.

FirePhoenixnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Smooth 5beat weave

I've seen some of your meteor work and I'm pretty impressed. How do you get the tail end of the three beat weave to come around evenly? I can nail a two beat and a four beat, but when I try to do just three, it's almost like it's a completely different move.

Awesome to see some crazy poi'ing - The meteor influence is clear biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I liked your clip in COL5 Dave smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Are these vids still up? the links aren't working for me:(