Forums > Social Discussion > Suggestions for the board...

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
When the board migrated to this new version I asked people what functionality they would like. The response was great, although I couldn't do everything everybody asked for. Anyway, I'd like to ask that question again, so:

What functionality would you like integrated into this community?
Anything that you've seen on other boards you think might benefit HoP?
Anything that annoys you about the board at the moment?

All suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated. Please post your suggestions here or PM me.

Thanks! smile

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
id like a patch, so that when someone writes loads of charters with no space, the standard feild size for the posts dosnt change, and the text wraps round instead. you kow what im talking about?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I'd like a cup holder - failing that i'd like a daily digest that spits out the day's new posts, or posts that popped up after the last visit.
cups are nice. peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DeimosBRONZE Member
Cinnamon Girl
191 posts

Posted:
I'd like a general post button, so it doesn't seem like you're only replying to one person and not starting with a fresh idea....please.
^-^

P*L*U*R

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I second the motions that [Nx?] and Deimos brought forth. Both those problems seriously annoy me sometimes......

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'd like a general post button, so it doesn't seem like you're only replying to one person and not starting with a fresh idea....please.
^-^

i just recently came back, and noticed the same thing.. i was a bit confused. confused

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Howsa bout the full text of the thread title in the title attribute of the link to that thread?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
- A link to members' photo albums from their profile? (otherwise it becomes hard to tell who's who.. what with all the name changes that go on).
- Comments on photos could be nice.. everyone likes flattery smile
- Failing the previous two, maybe the option to post a scary mugshot photo in your profile, in addition to the avatar.

i like photos. : D

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Quote:

^-^

this is annoying, cause you only get to read the post youre replying to when youre typing a reply, instead of the whole thread - makes it ahrd to quote people. However when you do a search these days it is sometimes good that posts are individualised cause you can find a specific post rather than having to look through a whole thread.

progger

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I can only think of one thing at the moment - that when you use the reply with quote button, having a bit of text that says 'originally posted by *' automatically inserted at the top of the quote.

It used to do that on the old boards and I think it would avoid a whole load of hassle by making it really obvious who a reply is aimed at.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Balloons.

we still need balloons.

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i like what nx said, and what bovril monkey said...

and badgers... yes, there should be some of them too.

eek

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
the ability to choose to see more than just the latest 10 threads on the first page of each forum- for example in the social discussion forum there are usually more "current" threads than that and it would just be more user-friendly if one could see a larger list of whats going on instead of having to load another page.
cheers
Ben
PS Oh, and i agree with what people have said above...
PPS Otherwise this one is pretty sweet- well done mate! beerchug

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the ability to choose to see more than just the latest 10 threads on the first page of each forum- for example in the social discussion forum there are usually more "current" threads than that and it would just be more user-friendly if one could see a larger list of whats going on instead of having to load another page.

i think you can allready do that, or at least i can see 25 threads on my first page...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
Option to spellcheck posts before posting? maybe as an addition to the preview screen. Or, failing that, a message that says 'You appear to be writing in txt. Please go back and write in english.'

--Ben

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh thats a good one Ben.

I agree with most of the things said so far

ubbangel

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'd like a cup holder.
cups are nice. peace

double click 'my computer'.
right click the one that is most likely labelled drive 'd'.
click the word 'eject'.
voila.

i personally prefer mugs peace

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

i think you can allready do that, or at least i can see 25 threads on my first page...

Yep you can, if you go to My Home and then Display Preferences and change the number of posts per page.

I have nothing new to want, I'm pretty happy with it how it is but if I find something I'll post it up!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I have 50 on mine which makes pounce's and the either/or threads rather difficult at times!!

I think the link to your pics in your profile would be cool. And to make it a little more obvious what's ahappenning whan you log in. Would it be possible to log in once for everything istead of logging in once for the community and then again to try and post some pics up?

Apart from that everytime the word Marmite or Vegemite gets posted it should be automatically censored!

Oh and I also like the quoted by thing when you qoute someone, I miss that from the last board

Keep up the good work Dom! beerchug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'd like a massage function (not message, massage...shiatsu if possible) and a hot tub.

Failing that, can we figure out how to thread the PM' s like on the old board?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

trixyBRONZE Member
100 posts

Posted:
date of birth, like on the old board dd/mm/yyyy.

luv trixy ubbangel

THAT'S ABOUT AS SENSIBLE AS STANDING ON A HILL, IN A THUNDER STORM, HOLDING A GOLF CLUB AND SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOICE /ALL GOD'S ARE *BASTADS* -THE GREAT TERRY PRATCHETT.

sunbeamSILVER Member
old hand
1,032 posts

Posted:
there isn't somewhere you can login on the home page is there? That would be nice. And I agree with CustomBug about logging in twice to access photo galleries.. but not about marmite. Mmmm in fact I think I'm going to have some marmite on toast now, thanks for the idea beerchug

"I don't take drugs. I am drugs" - Salvador Dali

sunny

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Obviously there have been questions that have been asked and answered a million times. Perhaps having a FAQ in each subtopic (Like a "Poi Moves FAQ") which has a link to a few threads.

I KNOW that there is a pretty comprehensive FAQ and there are articles as well. I think a thread would help.

Also, I think that we should ask a few particular folks to write some 'definitive' threads. We desperately need a "How to build sparkly poi from scratch using common materials" thread as well as a "Everything you need to know about coloured flames just by reading this post and not having to refer to the other posts" thread.

I would volunteer to write them myself but I've never actually built any of them. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
what about music NYC??

you forgot music!

wink tongue

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Heh... well music is opinion. I was thinkin' that. I think some definitive tech threads are in order.

Oh... and there should be a thread that's in Poi Moves that acts as a transition for the intermediate spinners. I think poi moves could use as much translation as possible without having the Jedi waste there time every time in every thread.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
A translation service for all the really techy threads about hyperloops/airwraps/isolations, so they are presented in English!

biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
An improved video gallery; the present one is a bit dated and there's no new additions.

A better way of submitting videos would help, it's impractical to use the present submission method of attaching the vid to an e-mail, especially with a 5-10 Mb movie.

I know there's issues with bandwidth once you get a thriving video gallery going, but, if the limitations could be overcome I think there would be some outstanding contributions.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I'd like a massage function (not message, massage...shiatsu if possible) and a hot tub.

Failing that, can we figure out how to thread the PM' s like on the old board?

i agree! can we also red wine refill function linked to my wine glass?

[i hope dom isnt getting pissed off by all the smart arse suggestions ubbangel ubblol]

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
oh boy, lemme think. ok most of what everyone has said i agree with and a few of my own.....

*link to people's photo galleries (but i know why you can't do that at the moment cause you already explained it to me)

*i keep getting the board showing there are new posts in threads i've already checked. i have to log out and log back in to clear it. it's quite annoying. could you fix that? ubbangel

*to stop getting that annoying "error on line 455" or whatever when i'm trying to get into the larger threads (such as my intro, either/or, or what do you know). i've changed the display number preferences a million times, it still happens.

*overall reply button is good. i miss being able to see that last page of posts when i'm replying, instead of just the person you are replying to

*can we insert images that are on our own computers into posts, instead of having to find a link from a webpage? we can do that on our avatars, but not on individual posts.

*can we make font size bigger for those special "i'm really excited and i want to show it by larger font" occasions? biggrin

*MORE GRAEMLINS!!!! (ask me, narr, bug, lightning, and many others for really cool sites for icons ubblol )

*birthday listings again on our profile page

*oooh, can we have a box (optional to fill in of course) for people to check whether they are male or female listed on our profile pages? i feel so bad when i refer to someone as a she when he's a he, and vice versa ubblol

umm, i think that's all for now. i'll be back later if i think of any more biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Quote:

*to stop getting that annoying "error on line 455" or whatever when i'm trying to get into the larger threads (such as my intro, either/or, or what do you know). i've changed the display number preferences a million times, it still happens.

*can we insert images that are on our own computers into posts, instead of having to find a link from a webpage? we can do that on our avatars, but not on individual posts.

*can we make font size bigger for those special "i'm really excited and i want to show it by larger font" occasions? biggrin

*MORE GRAEMLINS!!!! (ask me, narr, bug, lightning, and many others for really cool sites for icons ubblol )

Non-Https Image Link

And can we have a greamlin with a Staff please.....purdy please....go on...you know you want to
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Page: ...