OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Okay, so reading the thread on how people's new years resolutions are going. Then I looked at mine, and realized that I wasn't doing to well at all. (my room's a mess, the kitchen too, still procratinating like mad, and this topic)

So, the one that I think everyone has on their list, and my constant failure. ^^' The truth is I have no motivation to make myself work out. I have lots of ideas, but never just go out and DO them.

So, on my list of ideas is:
~ running/jogging
~ the regular stuffs: push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks
~ swimming
~ areobics
~ skiing
~ rollerblading

I already get in about 1 hour every weekday (normally), but I want to do stuff on my own as well. But it always goes back to the lack of motivation problem. I want to, but never get up off my lazy arse to go outside and do something.

How do you make youself do it???

When in doubt, ask HoP wink

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Find a work-out buddy, or someone you can take along with you to talk to while doing the exercises you want to.

I have found that if I know someone else will be expecting me to show up for something, I'll be there and actually exercise instead of putting it off for one reason or another.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Spritie is exactly right. The reason that I can swim six days a week for 4-5 kilometers at a time is because I almost always do it with other people, be it my swim team or just a group of friends. These people have become some of my closest friends here in Ann Arbor because we all share this interest. We often go out to the bar after swimming on Fridays and we share in each-others' lives.

We're more than just work-out buddies, we're friends. And because we love to get together and because we love to swim, we all swim our lil' hearts out.

Get involved in a regular exercise program, and by that I mean a class, a local running group, or something along those lines. Going it alone makes exercise very unpleasant for most people and that's why they give up.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

originalsmitSILVER Member
addict
469 posts
Location: nottingham, england. cornwall wales denmark or pra...

Posted:
i guess the -5 temps and really deep snow dont help much with this one.

i just use music for motivation. find your favourite song and use that.
if i ever listen to got the life by korn it just makes me want to do loads of poi. (which is my main excersise) so i do. rain shine cold hot . just get your music on and go for it.

my original signature was tooo long.
this one is shorter

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
You can also try doing it for someone else. They tell us to do that in yoga class a lot and it helps. In other words..."I dont want to but I do it anyway for the sake of...." whoever.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it takes a few weeks to change your behavior - break a habit or start a new one. It will feel like you're forcing yourself but after a while that will change. I went through that when I stopped hitting the snooze button. And it was PAINFUL! But now it's easier....

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

if i ever listen to got the life by korn it just makes me want to do loads of poi.

Hmm, haven't tried that one.... must find my CD..... beerchug

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh i suffer exactly the same thing.

I want to do exercise and such, just the motivation. I sit on the sofa and think "i'll start tomorrow." Tomorrow comes and the same thing happens.

I find having something to work towards helps, like when i was training for the navy - i was motivated because i didn't want to fail.

So i am planning to find something else to motivate me to get me back in shape again (and to stop pigging out on cake) ubbangel

ubblove

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Hmm, yesh, all stuff I should try. The reason I'm looking for something that I can do by myself is because I rarely have the time to squeeze another fitness thing in, and stay sane, or awake.

Currently, the only times I have are Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. -.-' And no, I don't have a job. (whoo, go parents!)

Also, a lack of money does seem to cause a problem at times... O.o'

I think they're lanes open for laps at the pool on sundays! I should drag someone to go with me...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There was a time, right around the end of my first year of med school, when I was in such good shape that I would regularly get asked if I was a Marine, especially right after a haircut.

I've been eating like a pig these last few months and I've been lazy in the pool. Well, that stopped on January 1, and although I've made a few slips, My waist is back down to fitting in 32" pants without too much trouble. The next step is to make those same pants feel loose again.

But the other day, someone did ask me if I was in the Army, so that's a good sign... biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Whoohoo Lightning, that's awesome!

Just took my dog out for an hourlong walk... Was hard at parts where the snow was more like climbing over a barrier... that was 100m long... with a dog pulling you, and your socks are falling down, and you're getting snow down your boots... etc. etc. etc.

Still feel like a blob of nothing at the moment though... umm Thenagain... that *could* be because I've been inside for a long time, and I'm starting to go nuts.

redface

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
bumping this up, because 2 years later, I still have the same problem!

Only thing is, I know I'm putting on weight right now, and it's scaring the crap out of me!!! By now I've realized I can't accomplish much on my own when it comes to fitness... So, I'm going to join a rowing club! I've been thinking about it recently, and I just found a local club tonight, ran it over with my mum, and she says it sounds good.

I think what I need to do, is make myself somewhat competitive, so that I have a goal to push myself to. Not to do it just for myself, but also for my team that I'll have. If there's something to loose, I'll work harder to get it, or so my reasoning goes!

It'll be another month or so until I start up though, so we'll see where this leads me!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
sweet!!! welcome to being a rower!!!!

too bad i have no motivation for it at the moment!

But you'll have a great time! it's a very social sport and great for fitness!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Two words for you Bobo:

Belly Dance.

I Love it! I started a year ago right around the time i discovered poi (a little bit after i think) and it's the only "sport" i've ever stuck with for more than a term.

the things i love about it are:

-That it's NOT competative. i'm not a competative person. If i'm competing for something i feel like i have to be better than people at it and i can't just do it for me.

-No dicipline. Sure i like to make sure i'm getting things right, but as long as it's the same sort of movement and it looks ok it doesn't have to be exactly what the teacher's doing, and unlike martial arts (which i've tried in the past) i don't have to call anyone master and noone's telling me what to do.

-Natural movements. The way my teachers explain the movements is excellent, they'll tell you how you should be moving in a technical sence, then put it in terms of an every day movement ("lean in to your front-right diagonal then steer around to your back-right diagonal, like getting the front door open with your hands full of shopping bags")

-being aware of your body and where all the bits are ("hey! i've got hips!" "wow, i didn't know i had that many muscles in my tummy")

-Women of all shapes sizes and age groups. the girls in my class are little skinny girls, tall skinny girls, short fat women, tall voloumptuous women, pear-shapes, apple-shapes, hour-glasses and stick figures anywhere from 17 to 60

-Giggles. when learning silly feeling boob-wobbling movements like sholder shimmy's and sexy little hip circles.

-Sparkles and Jingles! beautiful sounding coined hip-scarves (every girl should have at least 10 of these) and shiney sequined costumes (even if you can only afford to look at them)

-and those moments when you're in class and your teacher's calling out movements and you're doing them and you realise "hey, i'm belly-dancing, how damned cool is that!?"

ubblove

ok i'm done.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i've run into massive motovational problems recently.
but a new obsession with a certain glowing staff, and the sun coming up should hopefully rectify this.
i say get outside when it's sunny, it makes me feel so much better

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
ubblol Rouge I knew you'd be happy tongue

Written by: FoxInDocs

the things i love about it are:

-That it's NOT competative. i'm not a competative person. If i'm competing for something i feel like i have to be better than people at it and i can't just do it for me.

Hmm, but see, that's something I was pointing out when I bumped this thread. I've done belly dancing before, and I've also done more strenious activities that don't have any competition.... And it gets boring... And then I loose all interest, and don't do it any more. If I become somewhat competitive, I have something to push myself towards. The motivation would be me not wanting to look bad in front of other people, and doing my best that I've worked up to.

Jeez, that sounds kind of shallow shrug

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Hey Bobo hug
sounds silly, but have you done weight watchers? I signed up a couple years ago and i lost 40lbs in 5months. smile Knowing that you're being weighed every week and you're paying money to do it, it makes you eat less and do more exercise during the week. In your mind you think "ok, today i did really well! hurray!" and you just carry on just one day at a time. I drew a graph of my body weight and how much i lost each week, it's really motivating to watch it go wheeeeeeee, right down! smile hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Hello Bobo *GLOMP* Long time no see!

Rowing is loads of fun, I prefer it in a Kayak with lots of games but it is such a fun work out. I didn't realise I had worked out until I got back on dry land and realised the pain I was feeling! But you'll get used to it if you keep going and it will show!

Are you back home now? How long were you in Germany? (Sorry it's been a while!)

If it helps: the work outs I do are: dancing at the weekend
I suppose for my dancing, the music has to be the motivating point because I have to want to jump around to it!

Did you try swimming? That is also a lot of fun and a good workout, which I don't do regularly enough.

Otherwise I'm an unhealthy slob with the motivation to save money from my v lazy office job to travel

Lots of hug hug

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
So true about group motivation. My gym buddy bailed on to me 'cos he figured that going on a X country run would be more healthy. rolleyes Damn foo' wink

So yeah... cos he bailed, I couldn't be arsed to go....
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1143137330)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Just started running again recently...

I thought I wanted to have a friend to run with for motivation, but quickly realized that all that panting and sweating is really just best done in private ;-)

So now, we run separately, but my friend calls in the morning and harrasses me to get my shoes on and hit the road. So we run "together", but in different places.

Odd, but it works.

And , it feels really, really high after, best part about exercise!

The key for me seems to be to start running before I am fully awake and have thought about all the other things I should be doing. Otherwise, left too late in the day, I procrastinate. So, my friend calls, jokingly nags me, I roll out of bed ,put shoes on,and I wake up somewhere mid run... And then treat myself to a coffee when I get back.

Its a new rountine, but I am loving it!

Good luck with yours!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

Colin Jsmall member
116 posts

Posted:
I found that too. Do something first thing before your actually with it. Then your heads in the game.

I used to wake up 2 hours earlier than i should for work to practice circus stuff. just so I didn't feel so ripped off by my job taking up all the best hours in the day.

I'm slacking at the moment though.Any time soon my legs will probably fall off from sitting on my but and lazin about.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
now the sun's coming out and the days are getting longer, i find it much easier to stay motivated. in fact, i look forward to going for a jog, or for a bike ride!!
I reckon if i lived somewhere hot and sunny i'd have a fair chance at being thin!!! tongue

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

Knowing that you're being weighed every week and you're paying money to do it, it makes you eat less and do more exercise during the week.

Hmm, I see your point, but here's mine: I'm 17, have a part-time job and full time school. I'm not going to pay money to count calories! That and my Aunt did it, and let it rule her life, so I'm very wary about dieting. Actually, I don't diet. I don't like to... I restrain myself, and eat healthily, and I have even less motivation to diet than to get into shape tongue

Hey GLI! hug Things are good, I got back from Germany, oh... last July!

I'd love to be able to jog in the mornings, but I seem to find there isn't enough time, it's too hilly where I live, and I'm just way too out of shape frown But tomorrow is another day, so I'll see if I can drag my arse out of bed at 7, when my alarm actually rings! (and not quarter to 8, like this morning...)

So, I suppose getting fit attempt #4568753165410456779861232... is beginning soon!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I said to myself that I would start going for walks/runs after summer. Simply cause I can't function in high 30 degree heat everyday and it would be more pleasant to go when it's a little cooler.

When autumn started here this month I was like 'yep, I'll start tomorrow', but everyday this month it has been almost just as hot as summer was! Argh!

And the ideal time when I would go for the walk run would be around dusk, but that is right in the middle of when I work!

But yeah, I've put on quite a lot of weight lately and I really need to start doing something about it!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Suddenly my attempts to lose weight and pull myself back into shape have started working. Its been months, and still isn't entirely cohenerent, but in the past week I've noticed a lot of changes suddenly (conviently its the first week i've felt all the way healthy again!).

I'm currently mixing up ddr (a great way to be competitive and not need to have other people around all the time to do it...) with some simple resistance exercises, belly dance exercises, occasional dance practice (sadly without a partner) with once a week riding lessons and pick-up soccer games. I'm an eclectic exerciser.... tongue I still need to get up more reguarly, and start poi-ing again for the sake of my upper body... I also have some weights on order, so I can quit using my laundry soap as a dumbell!

But its feeling great, the better I look the more motivated I am, and my somewhat accidentally starting to eat less (Busy days not giving me a lot of time) has actually made me feel even better! This is confusing because I'm under the recommended amount of calories fairly reguarly, but I actually do feel better when I'm not eating quite as much... just more energetic and more alert, most days!

*confused girl*

Anyway, yes, motivation is key, I can't handle progams that involve running/cycling/swimming cos I am just not interested enough in them! Exercise works best when what you are doing isn't a chore, much the same as employment.

So keep trying activities if you've not found one yet! I really think ddr has been a godsend for me in all this... (cos I can do it indoors!)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....