Page:
Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
This is strictly for people with staff AND poi. Okay to be blunt the question is, do you prefer staff or poi?Currently I prefer staff but that might be because I am far better on staff than poi.

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Most people are going to answer with what they started off first. There's still some biased here. I do prefer poi because of the shear number of things you can do. Though i'm not good enough with a staff to make that judgement, maybe you can do more with a staff i dunno.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I'm a thousand times better with staff/s. I've got well into poi in the last 3 days (but the recent bout of sunshine has a paw in that also).I'm gonna vote for staff as favourite. Because I know I'm reasonably good with them and I can do more with them too.

Meh

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I like both. I'm just better with poi.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Im with Kinudin! (but getting rapidly, progressivly better with staff!)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I'm with gruff - apart from the rapid part

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Staff works better for me. I have to try soooo much harder with poi, & I get that little concentrating crease across my brow...I don't think I will ever do poi easily or naturally, but i have fun & that is what counts. smileR.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've been doing poi longer, and it seemed to come more naturally to me. But I'm enjoying the staff a lot, and have started practicing with doubles (hard!).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
At the moment, poi, if only because I've been at it longer and can do more with it. But then, even though I've only just started staff, it seems to be coming a lot more easily than poi ever did. Maybe a convert in the making......

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
All the best people do staff. Those that can't, unicycle.....Where is pk BTW?[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 31 March 2002).]

Meh

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
I started on poi, been poiing for about 7 or 8 months now. Started doing staff last weekend, I think its my favourite, I feel more comfortable with it. So right now my vote goes on the staff. grin------------------Trance the sacred spiral dance.Love and LightSpiral

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I can do a little poiu, 5beat fountains, btb an stuff but I way prefer the staff, as will be shown by my number of posts in the 'poi moves' section. I however have a reason, when you stop spinning a staff, the staff stops. Its a lovly mecanism and one Ive come to apriceate after doing poi. n'way...LoveN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, phunky,I think theres an almost infinate variety of moves with both toys, just a case of finding them (there is a large number of thigs you cant do too) winkN

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Heh, my staff doesn't always stop spinning when i do.... ok, so I'm new! I can't really do much with my staff, but i like it because it really gives me the feeling of dancing (and occasionally the feeling of immense pain and the task of explaining cuts and hand sized bruises...). I like poi tho because they listen to me (i almost always get them to stop away from my body) but yet i'm not really in control, completly... i dunno. it's still sort of a technical thing, but my poi and i have bonded, especially after hitting me in the head a few times. And I can take them anywhere, because they never get that far out of control, where as a wicked staff throw has this way of disapeering off into the distance....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I was wondering where that large stick that hit me on the head came from...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Hey look, Nix has stopped pretending to be European and has put actual places now.....

Meh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
swears at cantus..vote UNICYCLES!!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
WellPoi is my first choicebut i prefer meteors over staff cos i can do more with meteors than i can with staff and double staff.. not really my cup of teaAs cantus was told staff is for gurls..no offence to you all on HOP just aimed towards cantus there!! haha grinOneday poi on unicycle.. just have to stop falling off it!PKhttps://uk.geocities.com/poi_in_the_park_sheffield

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I just picked up staff a couple of weeks ago and I think that it is just as addicting as poi. But I can still do twice as much with poi so thats my fav. at the moment. Anyone have any pics of meteors in action? I am dying to see what they look like, I can't quite grasp how you do it...------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Staff are better for fire because you have to try really hard to tangle them and give yuourself thrid degree burns.Poi are better than staff when it comes to transport, coz they take uphardly any room.But unicycles beat both... grin

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Staff are better for fire because you have to try really hard to tangle them and give yuourself thrid degree burns.Poi are better than staff when it comes to transport, coz they take uphardly any room.But unicycles beat both... grin

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I tried a Unicycle once.. I fell flat on my bum. I don't think I have ever tried since. I couldn't sit comfortably for a few weeks smile------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yay fer charles grin grin grin

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I like all my toys best smileThose toys that I'm good at (poi type things) I can spin happily till the cows wake up. However when it comes to my other toys (staff, contact, clubs, diablo) I really enjoy the challenge of learning and the fun you can have messing around with something you really have no idea about. I may suck bigtime, but it's damn good fun! However, sometimes I'm not in the mood for hitting myself or endlessly picking things up, and then I'll choose poi.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Poi are dastardly demonic devices. They keep attacking my floppy bits.

I am a freaking ninja with a staff , but my favorite is chain whip. I'm still working on rope dart though.

Jesus helps me trick people.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Started with single staff and moved onto poi. Probably play with my poi more at the moment. Love both.
ade

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Started with single staff and moved onto poi. Probably play with my poi more at the moment - I think it's probably because I have a number of different sorts of poi, so depending on my mood or the situation - there's a poi that suits. Love both though.
ade

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Damn, now I have pk and charles against me.

Don't you have to be a virgin to ride a unicycle?

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
You don't have to be a virgin, but it does pay to wear cycle pants

And why am I against you Cantus, guess I've (wait for it...

"lost the THREAD again!!!!!"

(muffled giggling at own silly pun)

[ 04 April 2002, 16:50: Message edited by: Charles ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
i would have to say poi are definitly prettier. i probably spin faster with poi than staff, but i really love to use both. but then you have double stix, which i would have to say is my absolute favourite after picking them up a few weeks ago. so much more fire and everyone tells me they look amazing

Akshat SarafBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
I use poi, but I would love to learn staff! I just need gear (can't afford it as of now), and of course, lessons. So would there be an easy way to make a staff (I can't afford LED lights or Kevlar yet).

Page: