poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
hey there all. I was just wondering here, i've gotten the impression that Jedi is the ultimate best poi artist. is that truly what they are called, or is it just a joke? if anyone has time please explain this, i'm kinda stumped on this end. thanks!

the kid weavesmiley

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
It's a bit of a joke, but yes, people have been known to say, "_____ is possible/can be done/has been done, but it's quite jedi".

There's a thread entitled "The Jedi Set" if I remember correctly, and everyone is very much kidding when you read through it. It's a little bit for fun, a little bit a joke, but mostly to make fun of how uber technical people are getting as far as naming some of their moves.

Poi is dance, people! DANCE!

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Jedi in poi terms round here usually means really realy difficult, to the point where you would have though it was impossible, without some kinda ninja special powers. biggrin

the stuff that is jedi one year tends to become mainstream a year later, so what is considered jedi is constantly shifting.

they get easier and easier to learn as more people do them.

Ie i spent 2 years on hyperloops them taught them to a friend a non spinner!

in 15 minutes.

go figure

Jedi - Its both a joke and serious, like the Jedi Set.

Mil, you missed the point of the jedi set, because half of the thread has been deleted.

So it will be very difficult to follow.

don't be distracted by the piss take, It was and still remains one of the most fruitful discussions of technical poi that was ever had on HOP. it was the first appearence (I think) of hyperloops, isolations, 7bt weave and a host of other goodies.

despite this I should never have started it and I don't/won't post anything like it anymore.

moves, they're like water

millenium, your spot on about one thing... this year it aint Jedi unless you dancing, and dancing real good.

its the jedi boogie ubbloco

happy spinning

glass
EDITED_BY: Glåss (1075112658)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

hyperloops ... taught them to a friend a non spinner!
in 15 minutes.

i did something like that once too wink
but he was a 5 ball juggler and a staff spinner so he may have had a little bit of an advantage on the coordination front...

i do agree completely though with "they get easier and easier to learn as more people do them." smile

the longer techniques are around, the more people play with them - after time we understand the mechanics better and the methods used to impart the knowledge become more concise.

having said that, i also (respectfully) say 'f*ck the jedi boogie'.
super-tech while dancing falls within the domain of the bene gesserit - after all, if its *that* jedi, it should look good even without the poi...
and what's a jedi without his lightsabre?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

poikidBRONZE Member
68 posts

Posted:
alrighty then, thank you much peoples. i suppose then i can still use the term jedi for the absolute best poi artists i've seen or thought of then. i dont really like "dancing" to poi.... i dont really like being in the spotlight. i prefer to have people watching the poi rather then me. besides, if you saw a girl like me dancing you'd hope you were on something weavesmiley

In order to achieve what most people cant, you must do what most people wont

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I don't mean dancing as in the regular "ooh look at me at a club dancing" kinda dancing. Whether or not you'd like to believe it, when you spin poi, you're practicing an artform, and a dance. If you're spinning poi, you're dancing, and unless you're putting your whole heart in to all of your movements, not just the movements of your wrists or your arms or whatever, you're not spinning poi to the best of your abilities.

In my opinion, of course biggrin

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
colemans head looks like a piniata,

agrees with milennium.

Cole, I've been recieving some gospel from the Bene G master when I was down in austin.

EDITED_BY: Glåss (1075197108)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Glass - In that case can I enter BTB weaves whilst Back Gliding and Full fountains whilst side gliding? wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

BTB weaves whilst Back Gliding

now don't try and get all posh on us durbs - just call it moonwalking wink

that does sound badass man - i hope you using it with ya contact too biggrin

do you have any tips for working on smooth glides?
i met a guy who was trying to work out a glide down stairs!
i'm a *looooong* way off that ubbangel

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
"I've got midichlorians"

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Ill teach you 'backslides' as the old schoolers refer to them Cole, just get me on a good day in tescos or somewhere else with a smooth floor.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i just realised that glasses picture is an upsidedown cat ......... all this time i thought it was an evil sock puppet of doom ubbangel

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Erm, tips? Far be it for me to give tips... I've still got my 'L' plates on.
Stand on your tip-toes alot (not the ball of your foot, your toes)
Don't practice on shiny floors with socks on either. I mean - how many dance floors are ever non-sticky and you rarely go clubbing in socks... If you're foots 1/8th of an inch off the floor you can glide on any surface.
BTW, this is all second hand advice from www.reflective.net

And yes, I've been doing it with CJ - that's why I learnt it in the first place biggrin

I can nail the Circle/Sqaure glide with some various staff things too now smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Ok, this post was moaning I couldn't find anything, but since have so thanks biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
probably in the forums smile

back on topic: i've only met one jedi, and i just noticed that Glass mentions him in the first post on the Jedi Set thread smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."