Page:
The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
well i was thinking that the reason the last HoP day wasnt as good as it could have been was because it was thought up with like 2 weeks to get things organised.
So this year i thought if we could get the ball rolling, we could make a better go of things!

so first things first:
where are the central meeting points?
London?
Sheffield?
Sydney?
who's got suggestions?

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I like the whole "HoP day idea" but what about the international date line and stuff??? oh yeaz,i'll probably meet up with the pounce since i think there are no mid continent spinners in the u.s.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
well there are a few in the denver area, but they don't seem to post on here much. and some of them seem unfriendly frown but poitoi does post, and he's in colorado springs, and he's a total sweetheart. but i'm hoping i can get him to come to vegas too biggrin besides, vegas is just so freaking cool, who wouldn't want to go there??? biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

1,079 posts

Posted:
i did consider trying to ask every one to spin at a certain hour but two problmes came up:

1) so many poi and staff and diablo's and devil sticks spinning at one time might spin the world off its axis and make it start doing hyperloops with the moon

2)the mathematics and the organisation of selecting one hour for all to spin would take up too much time and not worth the hastle to get us all doing that. it'll mean some of us will be spinning at 10am and other at midnight local time

i think its just better if we spin some time on the 30th in the respective time zones.

PS pounce, afta seeing fear and loathing, im visiting you ASAP biggrin and cuz ur so lovely of course...............

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
YAY!! you definately need to come and visit me!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey dykey b...
nice idea, be interesting if you can pull it off!
for my part i'm sure our loose shambles of a nottingham contingent would be happy to take part... sheffield sounds good to me cos it's so central, if it were to be london or bristol ppl from manchester, newcastle or even scotland would have to pay an arm an a leg to get there!!
keep us posted as to what you decide....

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

1,079 posts

Posted:
well, unless anyone objects, i think the uk north HOP party should be in Sheffield. but if anyone has a problem with that, can they please say so?!

also every group needs to have a digital camera and a designated cameraman. can we try n make sure of this!!!

also bluecat, can you specify how you want the footage sent to you once its been taken?

and of course it'll come together!

D.B.
X x X x X

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
um.

that actually sounds liek a better plan for the footage. cause of:

if you want a saleable DVD then its going to need some hefty funding behind it.

my thoughts were for people to send me say 15 mins of the best footage they had from their hopday celebrations and for me to then edit down from there.

of course the middleman(me) could be cut out and the footage go directly to malcolm but i think he (and me in this case) would like some preediting before hand....

looking forward already(might be in NZ for it actually ubblol)

sorry i missed you while i was there malcolm, but soon i promise smile

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

1,079 posts

Posted:
OMG, that is such a better idea!!!

okay, now i feel dumb for not thinking of it.

so yeah, this sounds good now. are we gonna make Christchurch ground zero of HOP day NZ then? and is the party on the 30th like everyone else, thats the thing.

Okay so we got:

London
Sheffield
New Yoik
Las Vegas baby
Sydney
and
Christchurch

and unreplied from
Bangkok
and
Paris

this is getting good!

D.B.
X x X x X

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
Quote:

so us brits need to find some where warm...
or bring a lot of firewood (theres a good place in reading selling big bags for £5.25, like a hole in a wall)

i know this is foreward planning somewhat, but i can get f**kloads of free firewood from my theatre. No point in paying...

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

1,079 posts

Posted:
you are a star!!!!!!!!
literally!!!!
thats fantab of you!
let us know if u cant get it though

D.B.
X x X x X

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
hmm sheffield, london, where is sheffield? you said north, what about Edinbuggery? we have a regular meet up monday nights in ed... will we have to go to sheffield? or can we have our own....???

umm

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh

1,079 posts

Posted:
edinboro?

corse you can!!!! why the hell not! so scotland joins HOP day too! is there gonna be a glasgow cru too? hows aboot aberdeen?

yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ubbloco ubbloco ubbloco

D.B.
X x X x X

1,079 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*

guys can we keep organising this thing, dont let it slip awa and be forgotten!

D.B.
X x X x X

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
the london could be clapham common....

1,079 posts

Posted:
thats the idea

D.B.
X x X x X

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Regarding the video... this going to be a "spinning only" video? For sale? This is a great idea but can we do 2 videos? There are a lot of people (like me smile ) who will get edited out of such video. Plus it would be fun to do interviews and such. My vision was to make it more interpersonal (and humorous) than just clips of spinning. Or - even better - we could post a compilation video as well as one from each city. (We can edit those ourselves maybe.)

Regarding New York...our component of the party will coincide with another event - Burning Man Decompression. It's out of sync but will make it much easier for us. So that can be the kickoff or pre-party. It would be fun if we could get a humor/interpersonal video up quickly to get everyone psyched.

Regarding Fear and Loathing in LV....How much do I love that movie. And that book. And Johnny Depp. ubblove Never been there tho so maybe I'll hop on the caravan. smile

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
You guys are telling me you don't celebrate Holloween!!! eek eek eek
Its like My favorate Holliday!!! ubblove You can really feel the winds of change around that time, and everyone runs around in wild costumes! I Love it!
Yes you should Make a Poi/Holloween party! It would be soo much fun!!

ubbloveYa
~FS

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
We do! You kidding?? Not celebrating a holiday where *everyone* dresses like their inner freak would put the whole city into therapy. And that's the problem really. *Everyone* is out and about which makes it...crowded. You can't even get a cab much less set things on fire. NYC suggested we do it a little earlier, at en event where fire spinning is allowed and everything is manageable. Wise one, that NYC.

Halloween is totally fun - I hear ya on that. I'm already thinking about a costume. ubbangel Maybe a ballerina or a princess. ubbrollsmile

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

triple wordscoremember
75 posts

Posted:

Well i'm totally up for it. Great idea. Wow, i'm excited all ready!!!!

ubbrollsmile hug beerchug weavesmiley peace tongue

Cant Sleep Or The Clowns Will Get Me!!!!

1,079 posts

Posted:
**BUMP**

D.B.
X x X x X

elastaaddict
645 posts

Posted:
What about getting austrian spinners envolved? I'm going to be living in southern Austria from August onwards and I know there's a huge fire spinning scene in Graz. How about I post on some of their spinning forums and get them in on it?!

beerchug

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
hey hey... hmm, 2004?

I'd definately get involved in organizing, but I can't. Because I'm not exactly *sure* where I'll be at that time. Somewhere in Germany, I think, but I don't know where! I'd try to get the Halifax people involved too, but I'm not going to be here for HoP day 04!

Also, I haven't seen many of the spinners from this area, outside of my close personal friends, since last fall frown Been trying to get a hold of them! We had such a good turn out for HoP day '03! I shall try to get a hold of them again...

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
30th october? damn, wont be able to be involved. those wonderful things called year 12 exams frown

a few weeks later and i could have incorporated it into my road trip!

if theres a melbourne event i *migh* be able to go. but it still wouldnt be very likely.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

1,079 posts

Posted:
you have exams, in october? ouch, i thought we were dumb to have them now...

Elasta, course the Austrians are welcome to join in, thats the point, though from a video/dvd point of view, i was hopng to get as many "HOP celebrities" on as possible, you know so we could put faces to screennames, so if there arent many, in austria, you might get smaller time then others. sorry, but do you see my point?

bubilishis, regarding what you said bout the inverview thing, thats what i wanted in the ifrst place, but it now seems that its gonn takke too much effort/no one can be arsed so what we're gonna do now is post videos up on the site for all to see, i might then pull those together for a dvd, but dont count on it.

im suprised this thread was so high up, i thought no one cud be arsed wiv it

D.B.
X x X x X

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
So London in October then? my plans have changed so much I'll probs be able to make it! Don't go taking my word for it though!!!!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
*HUGE bump from page 17!*

i've just dug this thread up from the topsoil because it's a nice idea that needs more publicity and has more exicitingly has an interesting parallel development. wink

when this thread was last posted on it seems that the general consensus was to have a worldwide HOP day on the Halloween weekend. meanwhile those lovely poiple over on spherculism are planning on 'A Sphercular Ball' to celebrate 1000 members on poipoipoi's wonderful site, and guess when they're planning on holding it? dun dun dun... yes, it's looking like halloween weekend! eek poi minds think alike eh? smile

now it seems that if both sites were to have their big meets on the same day, they'd either have to join forces or compete with each other. as we can probably ignore the later i suggest we either get in touch with our sphercular friends and either invite them to join us or ask them to consider a different date. umm personally i'd love to see the two combined but would eqully love two seperate events to go too! ubbrollsmile

i'm about to go pose this problem over on the sphercular board + ask matt what he thinks. in the meantime maybe we should all start thinkin a bit more about HOP day 2004!!!! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
YEY for Sphercularhop Day 2004!!

They're all dudes in Spherculism so I think an amalgamation is the way forward, and shows what the true spinners community spirit is all about....spinning with new and old friends from far and wide and sharing all our knowledge for the good of us all

juggle weavesmiley juggle weavesmiley peace beerchug hug grouphug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
One big group would be cool. I couldn't feasibly get to both, so I'd go for the bigger meet, probably HoP...

Mmmmmmmm Poi............

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hey this would be great... I'm sure we could organise an Irish spinny thing too biggrin

I haven't checked through the rest of the posts, but if this works maybe next year we could get media interest and everyone could do it for charity, or something??!
(That's probably a little ahead of myself, but I have an overactive imagination redface)

xx

Getting to the other side smile

StoneTBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
Hope everyones up for an amazing world event!

This thing will be sweet for sure. But it will take people all over the world to organise it grouphug

Being a predominantly a sphercular poster myself I was quite surprised when Duballstar pointed out HOP had been planning something like this eek

How to arrange the meets is up to the people in the specific areas but Matt on Spherculism.com has devoted an entire section of his forum to discussing this, (an idea born before we knew of the HOP thing)

The idea is that anyone wanting a meet in their area would go to that section to see where the nearest one will be, if there isn’t one near, you can start a thread with the area as the title and then other poiple will be able to join the discussion.

A brief straw poll on size of meets indicated that poips would prefer a few meets in each country. This would mean each meet would be smaller but more could take part, (I know I would be unlikely to go to a centralised UK meet)

So, if poips want this to happen things need to be decided soon, mainly the specific location of each meet, either here or on spherculism.com.

If you do go there take a look around the site! There’s some fantastic tutorials and galleries and lots of luverly stuff.

Let's get the show on the road! bounce

Mags - watching police torches drawing closer - runs over to his poi:
"Maybe now would be a good time to have another burn, we might not get another chance..."

Page: