Page:
RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
This may sound dumb but i am confused by what people on here mean by mindgames. is that when there is a glowstick on either end of the string or something else? I think mindgames are reffered to when talking about the Tekno Turtles vid

Peace, Love, Circles

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Mindgames are when you grab the glowsticks mid-spin and start wrapping/dragging them around your body. If you have actually seen the Techno Turtles video you know what Im talking about. If you havent, you probably dont and you should see the video as its hard to describe.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I think i know what you mean Thanks bunches smile Now if neone can explain how they r doing it I can't seem to figure out is there enthing really to it?

Peace, Love, Circles

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
mindgames puzzle the mind, in fact i think thats the basis of their appeal

i got one, the little ditty guy does it in the tekno turtle vid. its like do a butterfly, and start to wrap them on both bicepts, but stop and leave them there, so they are hanging off your arms. reach inside crossed arms, grap the stix, then its tricky

the arm on top, take it over your neck, pull on the string and let go of the other end, so the stick flips over the top and you catch it so you have both sticks in one hand, not take the other arm over your neck, let go of both sticks and pull out into a reverse butterly.

now if i got it all down right, it should be totally cryptic and incomprehensible to anyone else than me; i say download the video! i did and its been a goldmine of moves and inspiration

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I have one that I used to do with the plastic bit that holds beer cans together before I realised it could be appied to this shizzle. If you do that move described as [Old link] .

I posted it in that thread already but you can then take that behind your back with out letting go of both heads and release it as Bluecat describes but behind your back. You can also to it frow a BTB waistwrap to front release.

If you can't figure it out shout, I promise it's possible but hilarious to figure out... ubblol

That is of course if that makes any sense what so ever.... tongue

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ok wheres this techno turtles vid thing.. because I saw a guy doing a lot of stuff similar to this only it involved a lot of wraps.. and I've been going wrap crazy again since you can really mess peoples heads up with them...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
techno turtles video is in the video section under "a new generation of glowstringers" or sometbhing like that its sick in the face
these guys are amazing!

it must be green

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
Thanks Anyone else have any examples?

Peace, Love, Circles

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
theirs their new video coming out but with fire this time and its jsut as insane, u cna donwload the trailer ( as always in viddeo section)

but no mind games lol that would be quite dumb but still a great source of inspiration for everyday spinning
EDITED_BY: joulz (1073512002)

it must be green

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I must be too far... um inebriated... to find it.. ah well..

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Mind games on fire are outta this world, i eventually got "mind game/ over sholders around neck" double neck wraps, but they are killah dangerous, and its best to wear a hat (which im not down with) cause u can lose some hair if your not on tha ball.

Actually i stole that move off of those mad glow stix boys video, and i think if u try hard enough u can get almost all glowstick moves to cross over to fire. But u gotta be carefull, and i wouldn't recomend it to newbe's.

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
I never thought of this before, but... Anyone wear long gloves while spinning fire? Then you could do all sort of funky glow-string moves... *seriously considering trying it out*

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'm yet to do a fire performance at a rave/night club, but I'm planning to... part of my routine will envolve wearing kevlar gloves, and doing hand wraps until I can grab the poi head, do a bunch of liquid moves for 15 seconds or so, and release and keep spinning smile Mind games are tricky as you're still very much able to burn your hair/skin not on your hands.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
thats sick in face but i'm preety sure that u need a permit for that cus um... with glwostix u hit many ppl at raves so umm good luck not settign other ppl on fire:)

it must be green

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I'm an a-hole.. so forgive what I'm about to say...

BUT

I hate stupid people walking into my glowsticks at parties... I don't trip over people breakdancing on the floor, don't break through the circle just to walkinto my glowsticks.. so spin fire.. and let the idiots reconsider how much and of what they imbibe before going to another party...

/end rant

*still would like a vid of this mindgame ssutff* I think I do some.. but I'm not sure..

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Rev,

Nobody walks into your poi, it is you who hits them.

I adore the challenge of avoiding people on a crowded dance floor, ahh, such fond memories of Shpongle at Glastonbury 2003 ubblove

It's the best way to improve your 4D Spacial awareness wink

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
here is the link to the video download page

https://stringepeople.tripod.com/enter/id10.html

some don't work, check out shok solo, and compilation

biggrin

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Rev: Most of the people that walk in to you are on drugs and you can't really blame them. Try going while out of your head and you might sympathize a bit more ubblol

I know the feeling though, I was spinning at Cabarave in LA and people would blatantly run in to my poi, and then give me a weird look like I was disturbing them.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
POP QUIZ: whats the easiest thing to find in a dark room?
answer: GLOWSTIX!!!!
THEN HOW DO THEY RUN INTO THEM?!? DONT U C? LOL ppl are blind! and drugs arent the cause!

it must be green

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Ermm, Joulz, why would you say drugs aren't the cause? Have you ever BEEN to a rave? ubblol

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
1- I've done my share of... *ahem* stuff.... And then some... Still never walked into someone spinning or breakdancing... Even when I was so trashed that I couldn't talk....

2- if ppl get so f-d up that they walk through the crowd into you glowsticks then they deserve to get hit... I hate people yhat try to walk into my poi and grab them so that they can walk by... No f___ ppl...

I met a girl that walked into my sticks at a party at another party about 1.5 yrs later... You know what she told me.. "Thanks for hitting me.. I was so f'd up then... It gave me a wake up call.. Now I'm more responsible about my ____ use...."

Some ppl intentionally try to grab poi and stuff... so now.. I hit people.. You walk in my circle your gonna get hit.. I don't dodge ppl anymore... I make them learn respect... I promise that if you spin aerotechs, astro jacks, or use 2 glowsticks in hammerhead formation, they won't walk into your circle..

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I totally agree if someone walks newhere near me while i am spinning they do so at their own risk when given the space i like to try and move around a little instead of standing in one spot so people need to keep on their toes and Rev what do you mean by glowsticks in hammerhead formation

Peace, Love, Circles

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Rovo,

Hammer head formation is tieing the string to the middle of the glowstick so it spins long ways.

I like bringing my beamers to clubs. People tend to avoid those... And those who dont, learn to REAL quick.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
The only time I intentionally hurt people is when I get some pissed up towny prick come up and ask for a light off my fire poi, give 'em a full face wax!!

Of course I would never recomend this, unless they actually 'Ask for it' spank

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Note to self: Always bring your own gear when haning out with Poipoipoi smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Royal and Icon, I must disagree with the way both of you seem to handle yourself spinning poi frown Although you are correct in the fact that people should avoid you, raves are made for people to dance. You should be the one conforming to their needs, not the other way around.

Quote:

I've done my share of... *ahem* stuff.... And then some... Still never walked into someone spinning or breakdancing... Even when I was so trashed that I couldn't talk....

Ever done anything that messes with your depth perception, or, better yet, makes you hallucinate? At times you can see so many colors that aren't actually there, walking in to two of them seems quite normal. ubblol

Quote:

if ppl get so f-d up that they walk through the crowd into you glowsticks then they deserve to get hit

I don't really know how to respond to that, other than it seems like a relatively selfish way of thinking about the situation. If you want to spin, find an extremely low traffic area to spin in. If one doesn't exist, you shouldn't be spinning in the first place, as when you spin poi you take up more room than 5 people, and you're making the entire place more dense and taking up more room than you're entitled to.

The more people you piss off by hitting them with poi, the less people we have that will be willing to clear a path for you to spin. If pain is associated with someone spinning poi, what's their incentive to make a sacrafice to let someone else spin? It's this attitude of "If you get in my way I'm gonna hit you" that might, in the future, force certain venues to disallow poi at parties. Frankly, I'd rather be a bit more aware of my surroundings and give people the courtesy not to attack them with hard plastic and continue my ability to spin, than hurt some people only trying to have a good time and have poi be banned from venues because certain unscrupulous spinners got fed up with the rave scene.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Royal and Icon, I must disagree with the way both of you seem to handle yourself spinning poi Although you are correct in the fact that people should avoid you, raves are made for people to dance. You should be the one conforming to their needs, not the other way around.

Ok, first off, Royal and ICoN are the same person smile Now, why should I have to conform and others shouldn't? Are you implying that spinning poi isn't dancing?
Quote:

I don't really know how to respond to that, other than it seems like a relatively selfish way of thinking about the situation. If you want to spin, find an extremely low traffic area to spin in. If one doesn't exist, you shouldn't be spinning in the first place, as when you spin poi you take up more room than 5 people, and you're making the entire place more dense and taking up more room than you're entitled to.

The more people you piss off by hitting them with poi, the less people we have that will be willing to clear a path for you to spin. If pain is associated with someone spinning poi, what's their incentive to make a sacrafice to let someone else spin? It's this attitude of "If you get in my way I'm gonna hit you" that might, in the future, force certain venues to disallow poi at parties. Frankly, I'd rather be a bit more aware of my surroundings and give people the courtesy not to attack them with hard plastic and continue my ability to spin, than hurt some people only trying to have a good time and have poi be banned from venues because certain unscrupulous spinners got fed up with the rave scene.

Ok, this kinda ticks me off. You seem to think that regular dancers have more right to be at the rave having fun than spinners. Thats crap. Every person has the same right to be there doing their own thing so long as it conforms to the laws and rules of the club. More room than Im entitled to? Since when do club goers get assigned a space limit? Do fat people take up more space than they're entitled to also? This 'low traffic area' you speak of is a myth IMO. Every time Ive gone to a club, the main dance floors are pretty much packed.

Really, if you get hit by poi or glowsticks in a club, more often than not its your own fault. They're the ones who aren't paying attention or considering other people. Believe me, I dont go to a club with the intention of hitting anyone who comes near me. I generally take every precaution and keep a sharp eye out to try and avoid hitting people. But I cant keep my eyes on everyone all the time, especially when I get into the music. Its a two way street. Spinners should be as careful as they can, but at the same time, everyone else shouldnt just blindly walk around not caring who or what they bump into.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I mean Icon and Rev, not Icon and Royal ubblol

Do you think I should be able to bring a 15 foot ropedart to a club and dance with it, and expect people to give me a 30 foot diameter for me to throw it around? I guess it comes down to where do you draw the line as how much room a single person should be expected to have... I spin poi at clubs, but if I see I'm making a disturbance and people are having a hard time getting around me, or I'm hitting people more than a few times per hour, I stop.

Quote:

This 'low traffic area' you speak of is a myth IMO. Every time Ive gone to a club, the main dance floors are pretty much packed.

Cabarave, Cabaret, EDC 2003, EDC 2002, TAO 2003, TAO 2002, Monster Massive, Nocturnal Wonderland... 4/5 parties I've been to have places with enough room to spin.

I think you misunderstood my main point: Yes, people SHOULD be mindful to the fact that you're spenning. No, you SHOULDN'T be given the burdon of making sure you shouldn't hit someone. But the fact is, people DO walk in your circle. People ARE on drugs that impair their judgement, and it's a hazard of spinning you need to be aware of. You don't want to be the guy that hits someone in the eye with a glowstick, hurts him a bit TOO much, and you get in trouble. I must make one more comment about an earlier post:

Quote:

I like bringing my beamers to clubs. People tend to avoid those... And those who dont, learn to REAL quick.

Hitting someone with a glowstick is a very hard way to hurt someone, but if you hit someone in the head wit ha beamer, you could quite easily knock them completely unconscious. *PLEASE* don't bring beamers to a club, a hit to the temple could be quite disastrous... any bouncer that lets you in a club with beamers deserves to be fired.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I can agree with most of what you said in that last post.

Quote:

Do you think I should be able to bring a 15 foot ropedart to a club and dance with it, and expect people to give me a 30 foot diameter for me to throw it around?

Im sure there are laws and club rules prohibiting weapons... But I got your point.

And for the record, Ive never hit ANYONE with my beamers (or any other poi for that matter) in a packed club or just hanging out with a few people.

I can get my beamers past any bouncer... Ive gotten into concerts, clubs, and random other places with them. All you gotta do is take em off the chains. I wrap the chains around my neck as if I were just wearing ballchain necklaces and carry the balls in my hands. smile

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
hammerhead formation when you tie two glowsticks together so that they they press against each other and hold themselves out like a hammer

<--OO---> <-glow2
glow 1^ | <-- string

and I'm not talking about having space.. I ahve space.. and its not in a traffic area.. that doesn't stop tards from walking into the circle and trying to grab my sticks so that they and their friends can pass by... noty like they need to.. just because they want to be pricks because a lot ofpeople don't dig poi people here...

so screw them.... you walk in my circle intentionally your gonna get hit...

Its not liek I walk around hitting people.. just those that disrespect the circle...

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
yes i have,and having taken drugs myself i dont run into bright flashing twirly things that are in my way rolleyes

so F@#$ u if u wanna get so smashed that youll run into my stix
EDITED_BY: joulz (1073942377)

it must be green

Page: