Forums > Social Chat > Money,,importance in culture

Login/Join to Participate

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
I'm just curious how important it is to have lots of money and be succesful in other countries. Cause in America if your not succesful your looked down upon. I mean artists/painters are looked down upon. They have real skill and they don't receive the amount of praise they deserve. *not sure about this so don't linch me* In japan Ping Pong was a huge sport and a great player could become famous from it. In the US no one would take ping pong seriously.I ask because I feel like a bum. I don't come from a rich family. My GF has alot of money and all of her *guy* friends have money,and cars,and a bussiness, and i got none of it. Basically I'm just wondering if it's an idealoligy so wide spread that i won't be able to escape it. Ya know be in a world again where people are praised for helping other people or for the amount of actual *work* they do. Cause we all know a nice guy will not get anywhere in life because the snakes will bite your head off.

We are defined by the choices we make

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
...as I've never been to the US I can't comment on the way it is for you, but I think (at least here) it matters a lot more what circles you happen to be in/what people you surround yourself with, than what country you are in for values such as these...The people around me are definitely a lot different to what you describe - I think the ultimate is to do what makes you happy or are passionate about and be able to make a living doing it... or at least spend a lot of your time doing it... whether this means you make money from your art or just work part time, get by on this and then do it in your spare time... and I think most of the people I know would agree....I do know people who value having heaps of money more - but they are still amazed that it's possible to do something you enjoy for a living instead of something that makes you stressed and uptight all the time...I guess it's not easy making a living out of being an artist - the expression "struggling artist" came about for a reason... and I know plenty of artists around here who are on the dole... but there are plenty of opportunities, too...and there's certinly nothing more satisfying than when you do make it with your art...*

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have to disagree with you Naganootch. If we live in a society so down on artists then why do we have artists who are elvated to god-like status in the eyes of the public? From authors (Anne Rice and Stephen King for example) to actors to musicians to print artists (Stan Lee, Boirs Vallejo, Geiger), they are all revered. Museums, theaters, art galleries, etc wouldn't thrive as they do in a society with a depreciative view on art.Is it easy for artists of any genre? Nope. We have to work and strive for our cash more than most any other occupation for certain since a degree in art means very little to anyone but the artist unless s/he is going to do a "normal" job. You have to hone your skill and market yourself and really find your niche. I know artists who, after much toil, are finally cracking into the art world with great success but it has been a long road for them. I know some who are still struggling and will probably continue to struggle for some time. All of them are respected in the eyes of the people who know them, not because they are artists but because of who they are and their passion and dedication towards what they do.Yes, America is a society nurtured on materialistic ideas from the time of birth. We are definately not a less is more society but who you share your life with and how you view your world is what really shapes how you perceive people and how they perceive you. I can't believe your friends view money as the most important thing. If all of your friends do, and you have no money, they wouldn't care as much about you as I am sure you do. The other great thing about our society is if you have no money, you can go and change that. Maybe not with your art at first, but you can still work on your art and something else at the same time without comprimising your artistic integrity or your want for possessions. It is all how you work it.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
In any capitalist society we're going to be rated by financial ability in some way. However personal opinions and self esteem should not be based on money and if they are it's really superficial. What really matters is that you're successful where it counts - you're a good person and happy in life.Your girl has money, but so what? She's with you, not a rich guy. She's not after you for the money. This is the case with all good people, they don't care about superficial aspects like money or looks, they care about the you under everything else."Cause we all know a nice guy will not get anywhere in life because the snakes will bite your head off." - Not true! I'm reckon I'm a pretty nice guy. I know a lot of lovely people, I'm happy, I'm nice to people (mostly!). I also happen to be moderately well paid to do a job I enjoy, but I took the job because I enjoyed it, not for the money. Almost all of my friends earn a lot less than me, but all tend to do a job they enjoy, and nobody judges each other by how much they earn. Having money just means I'm the one who tends to put the card behind the bar and pays the cab fare home.So, don't get down about it, go out there and be successful where it matters smile

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
i sometimes feel the same as you (even though im not on my own yet and stuff)just a conversation i had with a guy friend:for the record im kinda artsie and he's into phisychs (?). we were having a conversation and got to the idea that when im out of school id really like doing art involved work. he continued the talk with all kinds of tid bits that really got to me.he said that no matter how much i love art i wouldn't be able to make a living of it and that im to idealistic when i say that what matters to me is doing what i love.i told him that if living off of art ment (i got carried away...) drawing in the street than that's enough for me (!!) he started having a go at me and i was soo annoyed!!!i do realize that our society is based on materialistic thinking but stuff like that really make me mad. okay im not sure where im going with this but i really wanted to share . hee hee

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

purplemonkeymember
8 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents, being one of those aptly named struggling artists.Being able to make a living doing what you love is probably one of the greatest (and most difficult) things you can achieve. For some it's not so hard.. If you want to be a teacher, you just have to go to school for a long enough time, get your degree, and voila! You can be a teacher. Making a living by being "artsy" is a little more difficult. There's no steps, if you will, to follow that can guarantee your success. It's a constant flow of trial and error, of learning from your mistakes. As Pele said, you just have to find your niche. I haven't yet found mine.. But I'm determined as hell to do so. It's experimentation, broadening your horizons.. The more you're open to, the more options become available. I'm not saying that you should compromise your artistic integrity (i.e. "sell out"). But flexibility is one of the toughest lessons I've had to learn so far. How to keep my own voice but still be able to appeal to the masses.There's my two cents. tongue------------------LillyMy finger is an instrument of death!

LillyMy finger is an instrument of death!

purplemonkeymember
8 posts

Posted:
My bad.. I completely ignored the original topic. As far as money goes... Money, to some degree, is a necessary evil. You need it to pay your rent, keep food on your table, and clothes on your back. After that, it's a luxury. So long as you have those first three things covered, you can live rather happily even without money. Yes, I've been frowned on by some of the richer people I know, usually because I can never afford to go and do the things that they're doing. But I have several other friends that couldn't care less if I was dirt poor, so long as I was alive and making them smile. So, to answer your question, I choose to concur with several of the people who resonded before me: Every country has its snobs and its truly down to earth people. So long as your surrounded by good people that love you for who you are, not what kind of car you drive, then you're a wealthy man indeed.------------------LillyMy finger is an instrument of death!

LillyMy finger is an instrument of death!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
This is a topic that i often get rubbed in my face! I's a suit that works in IT in a law firm with a comfy wage and as such I periodically get lectured on the money=bad, yuppies=evil. While I do agree that $$$ is important, (at eh very least it is after all a function of how much work you do!) you just can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Money ain't bad - it's how it's distributed that sucks. I'm a firm believer of karma in this life - you get what you earn. So it's especially insensitive when people then argue that certain people are privileged!My entire family almost didn't make it to Australia (We emigrated as boat-refugees in 1980 from Vietnam with @@@king _nothing_) so being 'a starving artist' would be a far easier fate than facing a communist regime in the third world!"Here lies a toppled man—His fall was not a small one.We did but build his pedestal,A narrow and tall one."—Bene Tleilaxu Epigram

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always