Page:
glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I will start off by saying that I know it has been discussed, nay arged, about before. I searched, but didn't want to add this to those threads because this would go as a second thought. It is quite alright if you close this, Pele, and it doesn't matter if one person replies. I am in the mood to try to set some things straight, and clear the air of some of the (rare, but there) predjudices and stereotypes on "ravers." I know that everyone has their own opinions, and that is fine. Some people might like me even less after this, but it will be because they are offended by truth. Hopefully, some of you will be able to make a distinction after I am done.There is a difference between being a "raver/true party kid" and just someone who goes to the events. The growing popularity and publicity of the scene has started to attract any ole' kid who can borrow enough money from mom to go to Gadzooks and buy a pair of Kikwears, buy some cheap bracelets, and call themselves "ravers." After their first one, they will buy a pacifier, and string it to a bunch of beads, then call themselves "True Ravers." For the people who have been with the scene since its early days of true underground "raves", it isn't the same anymore. The parties still kick ass, and I am grateful for all the people who pay these exhorbitant prices to keep the music flowing. But for the most part, we try to stay as far away from that word as possible. It carries all of the negative conotations that have been imposed upon it. We are party kids. We knew what PLUR was before some schmo put it on a bumper sticker and a t-shirt and capitalized on it. We live by it. And to those who disagree with the statements "It's all about the music" or "I go for the music and to dance" just flat out don't get it. Sure, I will occasionally indulge myself, but that isn't the only reason you should go. The people who go to these events and happily dole out $30 for a ticket $4 for bottled water and $25 for bunk pills, then booty dance, breakdance to trance, and stand in the middle of the dance floor don't get it. You don't crowd the dance floor to watch the dj like a concert. You dance or get the hell out of the way. Most of the time, people who call themselves "ravers", aren't. There are a few on this board who do and rightfully are, but there are also a few who do and screw it up for the rest of us.My philosophy in life- I call 'em like I see 'em. And, people, don't take this too personally. Like I said, if this offends you, then I am probably talking about you.And if you are wondering, or need any clarification, then I suggest you read this or this. If you don't fit into about 90% of it, just say that you *attend* "raves." And make sure to read the Raver's Manifesto. That sums it up, and is what it is all about.Sorry this was so long. And my apologies to anyone who got their feelings hurt. I respect everyone for who they are. Just make sure that your heart is in the right place-the music! ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 18 February 2002).][This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 18 February 2002).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

DTKBmember
54 posts

Posted:
Here here to glowshow and Dom in London.I've read the Raver Manifesto... and think it's very cool, and applies to the sentiments I have when at parties.I have only been going to events since 1999, so does that make me less of a raver? Also, I've been to Fabric and Ministry and have had a great time, but am I less of a raver?Don't get me wrong, I understand how people who have been going to events are sore with young people going to 1 or 2 events and calling themselves ravers. And I too get sick of all the wankers at huge mainstream clubs.However, I don't really call myself a raver or not. I just think I am a happy person who likes to spin, dance, hang with friends.. and the MUSIC! The music is everything to me really. I just wanted to say, I agree with so many points on this topic. I also think that we shouldn't get frustrated with little wankers who think they are ravers and call themselves ravers, and all those "true" ravers get pissed. Just think of them as part of the picure and...dance.------------------DTKB :}

DTKB

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breath away.

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
GLOWSHOW~~~i agree with every damn thing you said. its about time that someone spoke the truth about "ravers/party kidz" and the false and mainstream wannabes. i have been in the underground scene going on 2 years now and still go to mainstream parties when there here. the thing about it is every time i go i see more poor pathetic kids that can barely walk and is so fu@*% up on god only knows what. my opinion on this sublect is this...to be a "raver" or a true "party kid"(as i call myself) you have to understand a few things, first being p.l.u.r.r.~~peace~~love~~unity~~respect~~and last but not least RESPONSIBILITY!! watching out for yourself and your friends is just the begining. you have to go to these events for the reason to have a good time with friends, meet hella new people that are unbelievably nice and loving and caring. i do occasionaly, like glowshow said, indulge myself. undergrounds are always a favorite of mine, there are not all of the pozerz and its all the people that believe in and live the life of a true "party kid" BTW every letter in the alphabet means at least 1 thing to a true "party kid"**DANCING IS MY RELEASE AND MUSIC IS MY DRUG**i really dont want to say anymore than i already have, because of the possibility that i might hurt someones feelings, and as i said before, i RESPECT everyone, no matter how they act towards me, how i act reflects on me. much love to all of you!!!p.l.u.r.r.xtremravryes i do go by the sn as xtremravr, but that is because i do everything that i believe in to the extreme, even raving.

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
pozerz?hey, i resemble that remark! winkbut only in name...party on wayne...

anyone got a light?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Wow, you dudes describe your local scene as warfare!! I guess there's less to complain aboot here cos we're just too 'ecstatic' to care.Can someone make it clear as to whether it really *is* that aggressive or are people just exaggerating the prob?I've obviously never been to an american rave, and I'd hate to think that that scene resembles anything as poxy as the media/hollywood make it out to be (Katie Holmes to Lionrock anyone? =) )I spose that statistically, you'd get alot more glo twirlers eh?Like ta know!------------------"He shall know your ways as if born to them"-Fremen prophecy

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
I just had to say that this quote is awesome! That's a great way to live life 4 sure!Glowshow, I'm an old man by most raver's point of view. ;-) But I can see how you would feel the way you do. For example, I was in to rock climbing WAY before it became and X-Games event. When I started climbing you could drive into Joshua Tree on a Saturday and half of Hidden Valley campground was still empty (Now, every campground in the park is full by noon on Friday).So yeah, I've seen something I love become popular, get the media attention, become controvertial (Bolts are destroying our rocks) and then watch the unwashed masses overwhelm the folks that truly love the sport.Not sure that I really have a point here (POINT!) but I do understand how you feel. I guess that's the "Respect" part of plurr isn't it?

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the positive replies, guys. I guess I finally made myself clear. Bender, yes it is that bad where I live. I can't speak for other parts of the US, but I believe that pretty much everywhere, we still catch the same amount of flack.And I have to give a big thanks to what Dru put into writing.
quote:
So yeah, I've seen something I love become popular, get the media attention, become controvertial (Bolts are destroying our rocks) and then watch the unwashed masses overwhelm the folks that truly love the sport.
That would describe almost exactly what I was getting at. If a raver bitches in a similar fashion, he catches hell (if you can't tell already.) But it is the same thing. It isn't whining about "the good old days." It is feeling uncomfortable with the disrespect of something that you cherish very dearly. I can't (and don't) tell all the people who like to dance that they can't just because they don't dance my way or by my rules. But I can become irritated when they disrespect the people that it matters too. i.e. dropping a bottle in the middle of a break-circle, or eating too many beans and passing out in front of security. Just stuff like that. Do what you want, just have a little respect for the others who do it along side you. The differentiation is exactly what smokeybowl said. It stems from the fact that we are labeled by the actions of others. We are forced to point out what a "raver" truly is, because they classify everyone who goes as one, when that isn't the truth. I am defending anyone who comes to enjoy themselves and have a good time. It isn't about who is true, and who is a wannabe. I was a wannabe once, and so was every one else. If you "wannabe" there, and you "wannabe" responsible, then I "wannabe" your friend. (Sorry, it wasn't a pick on you, promise. I understand what you are trying to say.) I mean, it is really hard for me to try to find the words to explain this without being misinterpreted. It is hard to just generally say "go have fun and be yourself and do what you want to do," because to some people, fun involves fucking with someone else. It involves, either intentionally or not, ruining someone else's good time. And that is not cool. Here is a hypothetical situation that shows what I am talking about: Someone has beef with someone else because they are dating their girl/cussed them out/robbed them/bumped up against them accidentaly, and they go to a "rave" because they know they will be there. This person is really pissed off, so they bring a gun. They go apeshit inside the club, and shoot 5 people. Press reports "Maniacal 'Raver' Kills Five in Bloody Rampage" All ravers get stereotyped as gun toting maniacs, and then further shunned upon by society until laws are passed to ban raves, and police start to "profile" anyone who wears Kandy as probable cause to pull them over/harass them on the street/submit them to public embarassment. Does that sound mildly familiar??? Not so farfetched if you substitute a few "too cool" drug dealers, who had to try to bring 1200 pills to a party of 200 people, and then brag about it to everyone within shouting range.And Firestorm, do your research. There have been several studies done, even by our own Food and Drug Administration, on the short- and long-term effects of MDMA use. There are *NO* recurring side effects that have been shown to exist. For some, it may hold emotionally damaging effects, but so does eating kava-kava, or St. John's Wort. It is not a substance that physically damages any part of your body. Your brain replenishes itself constantly. MDMA doesn't damage your brain. It tells your body to dump all of it's sarotonin. If you feel bad the next day, take some vitamins and drink a glass of ovaltine. It will pass. All short-term side effects cease at the maximum point of roughly 14 days, by which point you brain has had the chance to fully replenish it's neuro-transmitters, even after a hard binge.The problem is that what people often think of as MDMA is actually something different. Roughly 2 pills containing a combined 180mg of DMT is enough to send someone to the hospital. I have watched three people *EACH* eat over 100 pure tested MDMA pills before over the course of three days, and the only thing wrong with them (besides the constant babbling and shaky jaws wink ) was that they broke a sweat. I have also seen people who remained absolutely sober dance too much without rehydrating themselves, pass out, and have to be taken away by stretcher. A friend of mine didn't even have to dance when we went to Philly for a party where the security refused to open the doors. The ceilings were low, and the air got so thick that she fainted. They accused her of taking Pills, and filed a police report with her insurance company.If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the people who are greedy enough to put someone else in the hospital just to rock some new threads. And then become part of the perceived public view of what a "raver" is. ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

FireQmember
2 posts

Posted:
I'll stand and watch the DJ, I'll dance, I'll dress how I want, I'll do what ever drugs I want, I’ll drink what I want, I'll spin what ever I want and I don’t care if you and your candy sucking little "raver" friends laugh or not. This so called nostalgia for the "good old days of underground raves" and the "I was there" elitist attitudes that seem to go along with it are really short sighted and border on religious fervor, "and jesus came down from the mountain top" bullshit mentality. Your frail "oh this is just my opinion" exclusionist attitude is shared by quite a few as evidenced by this thread and the increasing amount of misguided, immature hostility I have had to put up with at so called "raves" these days. Funny thing is these people are kids and by my calculations the "good old days" were 10 years ago, so lets see, that makes them, and some here, between 5-10. So please the next time you go to a "rave" venture away from your comfortable little cuddle puddle of "true ravers," and go out of your way to welcome someone who doesn’t fit your profile. It’s easy; just walk up and say, "Thanks for coming." Shake their hand, maybe a hug maybe not; but most of all be sincere. They will walk away with a better understanding of raves and the culture. You are building a community not an internment camp. We humans create the vibe at these events; it’s your responsibility. It’s not something that just happens because everyone is an old timer, or knows how to act, look or dance like an old timer or because the music is good, or because the drugs are good. It’s about people and the connections we make, if that is good the rest just falls into place. I am the funny one that just walked in, come meet me.

The FireQ

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Phule.,don't take offence dude. PK wasn't having a go at you. He was just trying to keep the topic on topic. Rather than let it degrade into a "I club to take dugs/I take drugs to club" discussion. Which isn't needed here. He was just doing it in a jokey fashion.------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Fire Q. Was that directed at me? Not that it matters, just try to finish reading before you reply. It makes your argumants seem a little more valid.I go alone. I leave with friends. Every time. 'Nuff said.I support this community more than you could imagine. ------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

337 posts

Posted:
please allow me to rephrase what i had stated yesterday. the pozerz, the pathetic wannabees, to me at least, are the kids that come to raves for the sake of getting f***ed so bad that they cant even walk. we were all once looked at by other "ravers" and not respected because we did not know how to dance, or whatever other reason. until my third rave i had no idea what the big deal was about raves, besides the drugs. during that rave i realized something, anyone and everyone there was smiling, hugging, meeting new people, and most of all "ENJOYING" themselves sober or not. over time i have come to meet so many great people and become great friends with them. being a "raver" does not meen that you are a druggie or any of that other b.s. it means that you believe in P.L.U.R.R.( Peace Love Unity Respect Responsibility)that is the reason that i go to raves for the overwhelming sense of peace love respect and unity with all other people and being responsible by watching out for your friends and youself. i think that the WORLD could learn alot from taking a better look at the morals of "ravers". sorry if my last post offended anybody. truly. this is only my opinion and i hope it will help some of you non ravers to understanding us better.p.l.u.r.r.much love

337 posts

Posted:
please allow me to rephrase what i had stated yesterday. the pozerz, the pathetic wannabees, to me at least, are the kids that come to raves for the sake of getting f***ed so bad that they cant even walk. we were all once looked at by other "ravers" and not respected because we did not know how to dance, or whatever other reason. until my third rave i had no idea what the big deal was about raves, besides the drugs. during that rave i realized something, anyone and everyone there was smiling, hugging, meeting new people, and most of all "ENJOYING" themselves sober or not. over time i have come to meet so many great people and become great friends with them. being a "raver" does not meen that you are a druggie or any of that other b.s. it means that you believe in P.L.U.R.R.( Peace Love Unity Respect Responsibility)that is the reason that i go to raves for the overwhelming sense of peace love respect and unity with all other people and being responsible by watching out for your friends and youself. i think that the WORLD could learn alot from taking a better look at the morals of "ravers". sorry if my last post offended anybody. truly. this is only my opinion and i hope it will help some of you non ravers to understanding us better.p.l.u.r.r.much love

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Well put. Thanks.------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link
uuuhhh what are ravers? ------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"parents say video games affect teens I dont think they do,if they did, take pac man for example, we'd all be running around darkend rooms munching magic pills listening to repetitive music. PLUR

Its not easy being green....

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
XTREMRAVRposers and wannabes exist in every subculture and mainstream culture.They exist in the workplace and in school-yards.This is a valid complaint, but it applies as much to the rave scene as it does any other scene in the world.D

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Also.. I want to make sure you understand that by saying "true raver" you're really really really wrong.. and on top of that you make yourself look really really bad.Elitism is a disease, and your attitude here seems like a symptom.

Christina aka Str0bemember
19 posts

Posted:
did anyone see that diet coke commercial where the guy goes "PLUR".. now thats mainstream! haha.. as far as posers, wannabes and what not. for some reason we all get comfortable in our little niche in life (or our scene) and when newcommers come about, we think we are better then them because they are not as experianced and what not. the venues are bigger, the lights are better, the sound is louder and the floor is cleaner. remember going home and blowing black boogers out of your nose? well we have clean venues now because there are more poeple to pay the price of a party and more people comming, so enjoy it. (i'll be it, undergrounds are awesome, but rare) find the people you deem "acceptable" to socialize with, and let everyone else do what they want. it thier lives, and yours. no need wasting it worrying and bitching about everyone else. everything becomes mainstream..(even poi will, im sure, if it hasnt already) enjoy it or find someting new!

337 posts

Posted:
smokeybowl~~~im not sure what you are saying here...are you saying that i am not a "true raver"?...as i stated before, i have no problem at all with the newbies coming to raes, i just would like to them have the respect for the venues and the other people that are there. when newbes come to raves and get so messed up that they end up on a stretcher going to a hospital, it makes the rest of us that are not there for the drugs yet are there for the music, vibe, and the overall goodness of th people. true, every person that goes to raves was blind to the actuall culture of the raves when they first start coming. i am not complaining about these people i am simply stating that i wish that they would have the respect that i do for the "culture." the last mainstream that i went to people were throwing there cigarete butts on the seats and treating the venue operators ike utter shit!! that is why the venues disallow raves to be held at there venues. this iswhat upsets me..further more i would like to know why you say that by calling myself a true raver is "wrong" and "makes me look bad"? whats up with that dude?..i am trying to speak the truth about what goes on in my city and at the mainstreams that come thru my town. BTW the scene around here is going almost totally underground,since i have been going to parties so long i know people that inform me of the undergrounds when they god on...almost every weekend around here...different venues and true undergrounds..i am not trying to offend anyone i am just asking for the respect that i put out when i am at a "rave".p.l.u.r.r.*sighs*

337 posts

Posted:
STROBE...BTW "plur" i agree is mainstream...however i add the extra "r" at the end...which stands for "responsibility" something that is not practiced by the "mainstream ravers", although it should be. be safe party hard, and dance as if no one is watching you!!!p.l.u.r.r.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
Okee.. I'll clarify, I think my statement was a little foggy. Also, after re-reading, I think I've spoken out of turn and I assumed that the discussion was where I left it. *smacks forehead* DOH!I can see that your government is trying to classify what a "raver" is, and they are telling you that if a raver is this this and that, that you are bad, you will be banned, and you will be shunned by your own society. I can see that by doing that they are forcing you to promote responsibility or at least to make claims that responsibility is the key difference between a raver and some guy who'se ruining the scene for everyone.None of those are right. I truly hope that you can someday soon you can be free again so that you don't have to disapprove so strongly of someone who'se not harming you or anyone else.Okay, cigarette butts on a chair, or gum on the wall is disrespectful.. But if they've managed to convince you that this stuff doesn't happen in clubs and bars, thats wrong too. This is what happens anywhere thats open all night. We are a generation that dances till dawn and then some.THEY will learn to deal with US. Its going to take some time, but I personally don't want to lose my love for my fellow partier just because some whitebred donkey-f*cking child molesting governor can't deal with our generation.peace, love, lsd and mdma,D

Vanishmember
4 posts

Posted:
If ravers do not judge, who are they to say who is not a raver?I'll ask one question at a time, go slowly...------------------

337 posts

Posted:
point very well takin now smokybowl..i see what you are saying, by judging the hewbies and saying that they are ruining it for me i might as well be on sides with the gov....*thinks really hard* i must say, i have been shown something i have never thought of before...thank you smokybowl for opening my eyes to one more aspect of bein a party kid...without the newbies, there wouldnt be any future raves...*grins a happy i learned something beneficial grin*...much love to all..p.l.u.r.r.xtremravr*walks out with head up and a new look at life*

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
quote:
If ravers do not judge, who are they to say who is not a raver?
Categorizing people with names like "raver" cheapens the celebration of individuality and uniqueness that socializing is or at least should be about.I suppose you can say that you're a "raver" because you go to "raves" but really, I would hope that you're much more than that.As for who'se not a "raver".. I suppose people that don't go to "raves".As for PLUR and being this or that.. Why does that have to be a "raver" can't someone just be nice, fluffy, a good dancer, a passionate dancer. Is english really that limited a language? smile

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
hmmmhome of the free? tongue

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Well i dont consider myself a raver i just like assisting to the events i love the musics i love dance the music and i love dancing with photons with long strings and without stringsm, its just the best side to be i feel really reallly happy in one smile... the only thing i dont like its the ectacyjust asking thats the only thing that doesnt make me a raver???!? or what else?

Dance like if noone were watching you

337 posts

Posted:
smokybowl~~~~i think that when i say i am a raver means that i am many things, not including a druggie or any of that b.s. plur is for everyone not just "ravers", and i dont think that by classifying myself as a "raver" that i am taking away from my uniqueness, but anyways as i said before you made me open my mind up to seeing another aspect of being a better part of my "raver" community of friends. as for classifying myself as a "raver" it is because i can bring something to each "rave" and give it to someone, like teaching someone a new dance move, or whatever the hell it might be. i go to "raves" to celebrate the fact that i can dance till past dawn, play music as loud as i want, dance however i want, and just enjoy myself with a good group of friends that have the same outlook on life as i do. which is "live life to its fullest"i guess i might not be making sense on this sublect but i am basically trying to say...evry "raver" is a raver in there own way, they either rave for the drugs, the music, to dance, the dj, the lights, the vibe, of for the sake of rebelling, or all of the above or anything else i might have left out. i rave for the sake of the music the vibe and rebelling against a country that is trying to take away my right to dance whenever he hell i freakin please!!! and it is because of the kids that get so f'ed up at parties that they can not function and are taken to the hospital or whatever makes the rest of us look like we are all a bunch of cracked out smacked out pill poppin bunch of f'ups!! i personally am not one of these peeps but i also get affected if i am at a party that gets shut down because some kid got to f'ed up or whatever. that is all i am saying..maybe im not making sense but i know what i am trying to say...p.l.u.r.r.xtremravr

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
personally the whole "ima raver. NO im a raver" argument is not unlike ant other scene.theres the goth scene. "im more goth than you" etc. ive been to tons of goth clubs and i usually get the look of "ew shes not goth"but that becuase i go for the music.. not for the popularity concert.. i wear my levi's that are too hsort int he legs for me with green corderouy inserts and a lou reed tee shirt. but i can list off more industrial/"goth" rock/black/death metal bands.. than your avereage "goth" kid..so what gives?i say do what you like.l. like what you like.im not a raver never been to a rave. im not goth (i did thing i was in high school .but i guess i only liked the music and peircings)now im just me.who listens to all sort so stuff.. and dresses in clothes.i would like to try a rave one day.. just to see how much i suck at poi *lol*

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
394 posts

Posted:
XTREMRaver,I see what your saying, I can identify with what you're saying. I don't think it has much relation to what I was talking about, but I agree with it anyways. And this is a Good Thing (tm) smileSorcha,I totally agree with you, good point.Isn't it great when things turn out all right?

Page: