Forums > Social Chat > new video competition...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
i couldn't help notice there's another vid comp. comming up. I'll be entering the staff section... and the "other" section (iknowthere isn't one.)just wondered who will be joining me on COL3???

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
Copy writing music in the US is easy. Take your original copy of your music (tape cd mp3,whatever format) and mail it to yourself. Trick to this is, write the title and stuff on the outside so you'll know what's inside. If you ever open it (unless in the presence of an instrument of the court) the copywrite will be void. If anyone ever contests the legitimacy of your work, you have your proof.... Hope that helps... smile

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I will be entering with poi. Most definitely! Actually, I have already been filming myself for the purpose of working out kinks and angles to face the camera. I do believe I will send in video of fire, flags, and my RAV'N lights, so everyone can see how they look and put the argument to rest. Also because I have developed slightly different styles between fire and glowies. There is a chance that I won't win, but my goal is to have at least 5 minutes of video make it to tape. Hey Malcolm! Maybe you could make this one a little longer. I think that more people are going to submit this time, and I know that every time I get to the end of the current videos, I want more. I would gladly pay a few bucks more to see more stuff, if we send in enough worthwhile stuff to fill the time. Just a thought.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I'm in. Single staff (short), and poi.I used to think that the moves listed in the training section were all that existed, COL changed that. For example...I can now do several "?" minutes of only butterfly variation, without repitition (jiggy to the turbo power!). And poi movment is not all that counts, dancing and/or body movement is important too. It realy is a monumental moment when you realize how much (infinite) variation is posible. I say this to inspire others, not to expound my own skill. Just to let you know that the training section on this site is good, it has all the basics, but there is a higher level...many higher levels actually. That is why people need to buy the videos, because the videos have the ability to inspire beyond meer words. Reading is good, but if "a picture is worth a thousand words", how much are moving pictures worth? Daniel Tyler[This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 23 January 2002).]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
John Smith is in too, I just voluntierd him. Maybe we can save up some money for a better camera...one with a manuel focus.The butterfly is starting to mess with my head, I was working on it today. All I can say is "WOW!" But there is too much to assimilate and practice all at once, this may take some time. Hopefull I will have all the variations worked out and flowing by the time we shoot the vid... no problem, got several months still.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
Well it can't hurt (much). I'll enter single staff, double staff and if I think I'm good enough by then poi. I'm going to leave it until almost the last minute before sending though, that way I know my best will be on the tape. So about halfway through April I'll send off. Argh, now to start thinking about routines lol.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
quote:
MusicAnyone may use their own music as long as it is their own creation.Musicians can submit there own music to help out. music@homeofpoi.com Artists name's and details will appear on video and tape covers, as well as few copies of finished video.
OK malcom, that sounds good. what if my roomate wrote the music, and gave you rights to use it on the video? would that be OK?you can check out his music here https://www.ampcast.com/music/artist.php?id=11411
if not, i might just make a simple track in fruity loops, and spin to that. it's so much better moving to the beat.I can't wait for this new competion, i'm psyched.------------------~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Got some questio about the competition...ummm it doesnt matter what you twirl right?? i mean you wont give other more points just cause he is twirling fire? tongueother thing what do you look for the points i mean umm the fallowing of the musicthe moves etc etc...i will try to get in if i get a fucking camara blah ;p

Dance like if noone were watching you

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
i dunno about the other botf (althought they probally would love to) but i think i'll try and get something entered.. i'm not great but I think i do fairly well all things considered.... so yeah.. don't expect to see me on it *laf*wulff

wulff

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
"bump"

Just wondering how everyone's entries are going? I got a short section of me with comets last night, but I'm going to try and get some fire on there as well. Need to find someone else with a camera, though

Anyone else think there should be a section for the mods?

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
someone asnwer my question :/

Tashamember
21 posts

Posted:
If I can get my hands on a camera, I'll be spinning my staff

I've had people ask me if I were shipwrecked on a deserted island, and could only have one book, what would it be? I always say 'How to Build a Boat.'

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Im in, but a little nevouse of my chances, might try and get thease art school types to film it for me, humm, maybe not. Seen some great peeps but if the staff arnt alowed in then maybe ill get a mention

humm.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm surprised there hasn't been any trash talking about the next vid competition yet. Hmm, times have changed.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
erm....trash talking? Like Marjory from Fraggle Rock?

Meh

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Definitely going to have to find someone else with a camera - I'm pretty much staring at the ground for the entire thing (actually my wrists, but you can't tell that). Does getting angry with hitting myself count as emotion?? I've got a bit of that on tape!
If Malcolm is member no 2, who's number 1?

phuzzzmember
160 posts

Posted:
is there going to be any kind of others section? not nessecarily for cashish but admission onto tape? i've come up with some prety unique fire toys here.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Personally, I think other toys would be good. A video that wasn't so centred on staff and poi would be more fun to watch. Add a little variety to the mix.

Meh

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
If icant sent a VHS tape cause its too expensive to sent one there;p
i just cant sent a video of me on the puter ? to you to yer icq or something with good quality i guess

I will try to get the camara... man this sucks... ;p

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
me has decided to stop pestering Malcolm for more more more. I want less! a COL DVD? gimme a flickbook of the video mate! I can't wait for 1.5 hours of flapping pages!
We've got film rating restrictions here in Australialand - like kid's aren't allowed to watch MP (Medical Procedure) features without an adult present (presumably to help identify squishy bits..) My very important question to Malcolm is that are we allowed to do the Behind-the-Back open heart surgery twirling a Shaolin Twin Tigerhead hooks.

ceriously tho, thanks for the competition, Malcolm in the middle! me is entering the poi, staff(s) and silly it-was-a--good-idea-at-the-time toy division. Good luck and kudos for all who mustered the courage to put their art on show!
"Phillip: Ah you're very good Terrance, but you will never defeat my flaming monkeyclaw!
Terrance: Hey Phillip do you know what my finishing combo smells like?
Phillip: No, what?
Terrance: *toot*
Phillip: The monkeyclaw is smelly."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
so i cant be in the competition awwww!!!!!!!!
yer mean malcom!! hehehe

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've never pestered Malcolm for anything. Got a bit sulky about electroglo staffs one time. But never pestered him.

But then, I'm very patient.....

Meh

6,978 posts

Posted:
pestering? once i was going to pester Malcolm... but 'tis okay - the tests proved that he wasn't the father, so there was no problem. say no more, say no more.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh GOODY!!! I was hopiing we could use different toys... I think I am going twirl a shovel (med length with a horizontal handle at the end) instead of a staff. It looks WAY cooler

And instead of just poi....maybe some double glow chucks or fire nunchucks?

Ahhh! Now I feel inspired...!

Kendermember
33 posts

Posted:
Im definately entered!! I'll be spinning poi. Already sent my tape in (a thanks to all the judges who will be watching, hope ya like it!!) Im in Mo. USA and to send it to New Zealand cost me $50 US. I thought that rather expensive but to me its worth it....especially if I get chosen to be one of the video finalist! Good luck to all of you!

Malcolm: thanks for putting this site together and keeping it running smoothly!

I have to agree that watching the COL & COL2 Viddies helped me become a better spinner, no question. I highly recommend to everyone that hasnt seen them to purchase them right away. I wouldnt have half the moves I use if it wasnt for them.

-=Kender=-
-------------
The most interesting thing about you? You spin fire as a hobby.

[ 24 April 2002, 15:22: Message edited by: Kender ]

6,978 posts

Posted:
HEY HEY - if you're a procrastinating Slob(tm) like yer uncle bender, (i wasn't even born until the last minute!) then the time is now to submit foottage of this art that you love so much that you're reading this post!

don't feel daunted, as i had been, because otehrs have faced worse odds (like how did britney get past any 'talent' audition??)
Rollo, in an interview this week, was asked about how he so quickly recovered from a recent car crash/broken pelvis to return to tour with the band - his reply, i think is really relevant to anyone still undecided about filming and submitting their art in the next 36 days:

quote:
I think, that as human beings, as a general rule, we focus our concentration on many, many, many different things over the course of any one day - your girlfriend, your job, your car needs fixing, whatever it is. There's so many things that you put your concentration to. If you put your concentration to one thing and one thing alone, you get results."
His doctors sais that he was mangled for months more, but Faithless are *here* this week, because he loved performing so much he made it happen!

So i guess the moral of the story is that you gotta break your hip to win US$500 of twirling equipment.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Wasn't it Maxi Jazz that broke his pelvis? Are you going to see Faithless, Bender? I'm so jealous if you are. I was going to see them here, but the person I was going with decided to go to Barbados instead. So inconsiderate.

*thinks desperately how to get back on topic* Still haven't found anyone with a camera. My tape is probably going to be just comets then.

J

Page: