Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Alright. I probably should have come up with a better subject line. But anyway, I'll get to the point quick.

I have been invited to goto Germany with my girlfriend and her mom for three weeks, and (seeing as how they're almost 100% german) the rest of their family lives in Germany. I gotta meet them. But what I'm worried about, is I've been growing my hair for about 6, 7 months and my hair is extremely wavy and I can make a pretty decent 'fro out of it.

Adding to the problem, I don't know ANY German. The usual way to ask for food is to point to something that looks good a few times, then point to my mouth. I'm sure hi and bye are pretty simple to figure out... but carrying on a conversation will be even harder... so I need to impress my girlfriend's Oma and Opa (that's who we're going to meet) by my appearance, and mannars. Having poofy, semi-locked hair will definently be a turn-off for them to accept me.

So, what I'm asking is, should I just cut it off and start the growing process again? OR is there a way to make wavy hair (no gel can hold it down for more than hour, let alone a day) seem presentable?

Much appreciated,
Kinudin

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Try pulling it back into one thick braid, maybe.

E pluribus unum, baby.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Im with regyt... tie it back if its long and use some kind of hair CEMENT... to keep it down... good luck hug and its really nice to see that your willing to do such a nice thing for your girlfriend.... you must be in luuurrrvvvee ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Arakrysmember
34 posts

Posted:
Be a nice guy and they'll hopefully like you. You know, offer to do the dishes, don't burp in their faces. wink
Did your girlfriend brief you on her grandparents?

OK i have a few prejudices: Berlin: used to everything. Munich (Munchen, in Bayern) in the southeast is conservative. Get an expensive car or they don't like you. Freiburg (southwest) is used to the alternative scene. Um. that's it already....

1,325 posts

Posted:

Valura and regyt -
Quote:

Try pulling it back into one thick braid, maybe.

Thick braid, like what? Right now, at the top and side of my hair is about 3 inches (7.6 cm), and the back about 2 1/2 inches (6.4 cm). Would that be considered enough to put in to a thick braid?

Arakrys -

We're going to Frankfurt first, then Hamburg. I suppose I should actually pull out a map and look where that is.

hug
Thanks guys
Kinudin

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
Wear a hat?

Arakrysmember
34 posts

Posted:
uh oh..... there's more than one Frankfurt! gee, are you lucky we are here to help you smile)))

1,325 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Wear a hat?

ubbidea Genious! Now all I have to worry about is while inside.

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
Wear a bandana. Those are okay inside.

E pluribus unum, baby.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Yesh, spanner biggrin dreads for meeh.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
A mate with seriously curly hair finds that if you dilute conditioner with water and spray that over your hair it tends to tame it down a little.

Man, spend two weeks in Detroit and the look of everything changes. I'm confused and alarmed by it.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
You've obviously never been to Germany before?

If not then you've probably never seen the amount of mullets in Germany! (Sorry, no offence to Germans rolleyes ) The amount of Scorpions (80's spandex-clad, high pitched voiced metal band) lookalikes you'll run into is quite surprising, even 20 years on. There's also a huge Goth scene in any of the larger towns.

I really wouldn't worry about the hairdo, they probably won't even bat an eyelid, it really won't stand out as being bizzare at all. Though if you're really worried, just tie it back.

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Konstilovable smart-ass
785 posts

Posted:
The north of Germany is more liberal than the south, generally. My experience with people from northern Germany have been good. So dont worry. As long as you are polite, and dont make a mess, they should be happy.

"is optimism in austria just a lack of information?"
-Alfred Dorfer

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've found that germans react better to americans with long hair than with short (because of that military occupation force we still have there I beleive).

I think just trying to learn as many polite words in German as possible (hello, goodbye, goodnight, nice to meet you, stuff like that) will go a lot further with her family than a haircut will (unless you look really ridiculous...)

just my $0.02

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!