ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Well here goes.

This is my first attempt at digital video filming / editing. It is basically some footage of myself and a few friends playing fire in a local park. I didn’t have that much footage to work with so some of it may be repetitive – well it was to me when I was editing anyway.
The video is more in the style of a music video clip rather than an exposé of amazing spinning. You won’t see any totally amazing twirling in this video but there are a couple of points of interest like Billy the 8 year old, or my ‘fireball maker’, or fire hula hoop.

The video is in DivX format. I don’t know much bout DivX, so sorry it’s so tiny, but I needed to keep the file small – and this is the best I could do.

Hope ya like it – FIRESTARTERS.avi (7mb)

[ 19. August 2003, 23:27: Message edited by: Zoltar ]

So much fire, so little body hair...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
you are indeed the firestarter

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
I downloaded the file, but all I could see was the first 22sec of it and then the video froze while the audio stayed the same. We've had similar problems with one of our videos, and traced it back to a problem in the encoding process, but has anyone else experienced similar effects with this vid?

I really wanna see it

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Thx for the video !!!

had the same problem like Dio. But you can watch it using the DivX Playa that is bundled with the DivX codec.
Lil bit inconvenient but it works . . .

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Sorry bout the problems with the video freezing - it didn't happen for me tho with either media player or the DivX player. Don't know if it was something I did wrong

I guess I could try put it in a different format... but I do get confused with all these codecs

729 posts

Posted:
Allow me to retract my statement about the video freezing, I needed to update my codec I be stoopid...

I was entertained by the double-wick poi, the hula hoop (which I have never seen until today - very impressive!), and the juggling. The close-up shots were very good and added a lot of character to the video.

A couple suggestions to improve the next one (which I hope is coming!) -

1) The half-second of fireballs was cool the first couple times, but putting it in every time the big drum hit was excessive. Short clips like that are good in smaller doses (see TePooka's first video for some examples) and you definitely demonstrated an exceptional ability to match clips to music, but it was a little overkill for me.

2) Adding the titles to the video whenever it said "Firestarter" or "Twisted Firestarter" was somewhat annoying. It distracted me away from what was going on in the background and really didn't fit in. It was only for a few verses but kinda detracted from the overall appearance of the video.

Those are the only two real problems I had with the vid, like I said you have an admirable ability to match the footage to the music (tell me what program you're using?) and the shots were top-notch. Keep up the good work my friend!

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanx for the comments Dio.
And agreed - both the text and the overuse of the fireball is a bit annoying, but I need to go back to the original footage and rework some of it to edit it out - and I just can't look at it anymore (you know what I mean - when you have seen something so many times during editing you start to despise it). I might take those titles out though - they are a bit cheesy yes.

The software I used is Sonic Foundry's Video Factory - It works well.

Got some more ideas for the next project, just need access to digital camera again.

729 posts

Posted:
That was done with a digital???

I'm thoroughly impressed Never dabbled in digital video before but from the looks of it I'd do well to check it out.

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Yep Digital

Come a long way hasn't it. The camera I used was a Canon MV530i, set on Low light mode, with the AE at +1.25, and of course using manual focus. I have experimented with a few diff settings on this camera and found that to be the most appealing to me for fire footage.

I used the same camera and setting for much of the footage in 'Bender's first video' - although videoing Bender can be difficult. It's hard to not watch him and focus on what you are doing with the camera.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hard to focus? okay, okay next time i wear pants!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
pants? did somebody say pants?!?!?!

Ooooooo! can I have some pants too? All I want is a descent pair of pants!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well, I liked the repetitiouse cmera cuts on the beat (fireballs) abd the "firestarer" subtitles added variety....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

729 posts

Posted:
quote:
set on Low light mode, with the AE at +1.25, and of course using manual focus
Kudos to you, amigo... I can't stand the phenomenon where you see a couple bright lens flares spinning around in a circle with a very dark, blurry spinner moving them. People who make videos, take notice!

Forgot to mention earlier, the 8-yr old staffer was very cool! And I will say again, the close-up shots (especially you with the fire fingers) were awesome and added a lot of character to the video. I anxiously await your next video, you've got a lot of talent and potential.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
nice work zoltar

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
Thanx for the kind words people

Already have ideas for the next project Just gotta get hold of that camera again....

I passed your compliments on to Billy (8 year old)- he was chuffed

xJesterxstranger
21 posts

Posted:
pretty good :P

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
wow Billy is great at twirling, seriously.

[EDIT: Jeez he even does something I can't figure out. Can someone possible explain whats going on when he passes the staff under his leg the quick flicks around to twirl it the other direction? I totally cant tell from the video what to do and it looks cool redface ]

- Klaymen
EDITED_BY: Klaymen (1086186314)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:

I've watched that bit a million times and still cant quite get it. Its nice to look up to some one so little. smile

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Cool vid Zoltar! I really like how it fits the tune so well, good work!

I think that Billy does a contact roll up his back and over his shoulder/arm, seeing as he's so small I guess he can get away with it as it's so long compared to him! Can you imagine how good he'll be at 18, I wish I started at 8!

Let's relight this forum ubblove